Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cell implications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a good question. I'd be inclined to delay purchase a bit to get the new batteries. Seems to be a non trivial upgrade so worth the wait. My presumption is that the ranges quoted for the CT, especially the tri motor, are dependent on these new batteries.
There is no way the Cybertruck will be built with anything other than 4680 cells. They are integral to meeting the published specs.

Time is going to tell on that, my man...^^^

I can definitely see different packs for different specs being a real possibility given how things have been handled in the past.

ß
I mean, you could technically say they've always used different packs for different specs within a model. They just put less active cells in the lower range packs. I would even agree they might vary the chemistry of batteries for a given model depending on the range (see MIC Model 3 SR+). But the Cybertruck will only use 4680's and that applies to all ranges. Even the MIC M3 SR+ still uses 2170 cells just like the LR AWD's. I doubt they'd want to use different sized cells, especially since they will now be structural in new and updated models.

Reactions: CyberGus