Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cell structural battery pack shipping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Just saw this post on Tasmanian:

Looks like they may be on their way!

I'm interested to see what difference it makes. I also wonder what happens if there's damage to the battery or a bad battery pack - it would seem that this design would preclude actually replacing the battery pack meaning a damaged battery would mean totally the car. 🤔

Probably on their way to CA for crash testing and other forms of car torture, then scrapped. Nothing is going to happen before they complete full testing and certification.
One thing the article commented on was that the shipment they saw was a variety of colors, interiors, etc, leading them to hypothesize that they were actual shipping models since they'd probably use the same color & interior for testing. Of course they could be using this as a change to test the manufacturing lines, too.

A truck loaded with Model Ys leaving Giga Texas was spotted by Jeff Roberts/Twitter. There is every reason to believe that the cars are being sent to Tesla delivery center(s) in order to be handed over to owners soon. This conclusion can be drawn not only because, according to the time frame, certification may already be completed, but also because other reasons for these new cars being taken out of the factory seem less likely.

And yet, nobody has confirmed an xNAxxx VIN yet that I have seen. It would be big news.