Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 for Texas Giga Model Y in December 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming my Model Y is built at Giga Texas and is delivered in December 2022, will it have the 4680 battery?
The only way you would get a car with 4680's, at least currently, is for Tesla to reach out to you and specifically ask if you want one. There is no way to order one so Tesla has been reaching out to MYLR order holders in certain areas to ask if they want the MYSR AWD with 4680's and the lower range. Chances seem decent, however, that you might get a MYLR from Austin with the 2170 batteries, since you're right next door in MS.

The new 4680 battery isn’t “all that”. Tear down revealed it’s the old chemistry that’s used in 2170s today and no confirmation of a dry coated electrode. Don’t think they ramped up most of the advanced technologies that were advertised yet so just understand you’re not getting anything that different today, but maybe in the near future

Reactions: dino007 and jsight
There’s news of a new Y trim but honestly has Tesla even ramped up 4680 cell production to be able to produce more than a token number of Ys with them?

It’s been 7 months since the factory opened… and how many 4680 Ys have been built? A thousand? Maybe less…

There’s news of a new Y trim but honestly has Tesla even ramped up 4680 cell production to be able to produce more than a token number of Ys with them?

It’s been 7 months since the factory opened… and how many 4680 Ys have been built? A thousand? Maybe less…
What new Y trim? The 2023 trims are the same as 2022. MY AWD is the 279 mile 4680 version from Austin that many people are erroneously referring to as MY SR AWD so they think the MY AWD is “new”.

The above is a new filing but same data as the 2022 filing. Look at the dates of the various range depleting tests. 2020, 2021 and 2022. They just resubmit the prior years data unless there is something new to test.

1667878649794.png

Apparently the MY AWD version with 4680's was just approved by the EPA even though Tesla had previously included it in the lineup. I assume this means that it will be orderable, vs Tesla making it available to small numbers of people via email.

Apparently the MY AWD version with 4680's was just approved by the EPA even though Tesla had previously included it in the lineup. I assume this means that it will be orderable, vs Tesla making it available to small numbers of people via email.
No, fake news. It was approved last year. They just carried over their submissions in case they decide to sell it. It was not resubmitted because they intend to sell it.

Like this one that was approved for 2022 but not one unit was sold. Well maybe someone had a hold from Q1 2021 that rolled over to 2022 but I can guarantee no new orders were placed. Just because documents show up with the EPA doesn’t mean Tesla intends to do anything with that specific model.
1667957441810.png