Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 MYP Acceleration Boost Upgrade prediction.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a finger in the air type prediction?

Or is there something to back up this prediction?

Possibly this thread.

Possibly this thread.

He said that, but maybe he's guessing too. When you upgrade the batteries to ones with more power, something should be better.

Reactions: advocate8
Blue Magoo …. Do you have any reason for this claim? Any evidence ?
Just my common sense and Teslas past practice. The new (4680) model Y performance we'll probably have the same performance statistics, to provide a level sales field with the Fremont. It will just be lighter and more rigid with the potential for better acceleration due to being lighter.

Yeah, it’s called profit margin.
Just as a note for all, once Austin models start production Fremont will get the same upgrade. No company would keep 2 SKUs and BOMS for the same model… this is just not a smart business practice. You will have identical cars out of A and F production facilities within 1/4 time.
My guess is they will just shut Fremont down on MY once Austin is up to capacity. Then Fremont can focus on CT, Semi and Roadster.

Possibly this thread.

Lol. As if a “sales” rep is going to acknowledge that the car you are getting next week will be lessor then the future model. Yeah, that’s not going to happen.

Tesla is going to be under media/social pressure for the 4680s to show improvement in some way for the buyer. Tesla already has industry-leading margins, and improving that further may backfire and come across as greedy...and the buying public if fickle. VW and Ford dealers are charging well over MSRP and they still have no inventory, which shows solid EV demand across all brands, and there are enough studies out there to show that real word range is getting very close between the MYLR and the competition.

• Funny
Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Battery doesn't have anything to do with acceleration. The motor(s) are what push the car.
Will there be updated, higher capacity motors along with the battery change?
I understand what you're saying but nowadays it's Tesla setting the limitation on it's cars. The proof is the model Y long range can accelerate much faster if you're willing to pay another $2000 for a software upgrade.

I predict the 4680 MYP will cost and perform the same as with the original batteries, but at sometime in the future those owners will be offered a acceleration boost upgrade at an additional cost. The same as they did with the MY Long range.
Which you can happily ignore, to take advantage of the flatter charging curve, thanks to the larger top buffer. Should also help avoiding battery degradation, no?