Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

46k miles, 2 step correction + 22ple

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 46k miles,my P85 was looking pretty beat up. Tonsand tons of swirls and the front basically completely sandblasted by dirt(despite having XPEL). At least it's theXPEL that's sandblasted and not the paint itself.

Full gallery of photos here including some before photos: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B52Y8nnY5acDeHU1X19ES21DVHM

I finally got a bitof down time and spent about 15 hours this weekend doing a full detailjob. Basically 2 step paint correction followed up by two coats of 22ple VX1 Pro on the paint, and VM1 on the wheels.

DSC_0747.jpg

The process I used was basically the following:

1. Prep
    1. Citrus soaked with foam jet (to remove any previous waxes/sealants aka Glare) and washed with microfiber mitt. Powerwashed clean.
    2. Sprayed down entire car with IronX, let soak for 5 minutes then powerwashed. Did this one panel at a time.
    3. Decontaminated using ONR bucket and Nanoskin Autoscrub mitt, using the microfiber side to lube and the other to grab the decomtaminates (much easier than traditional claying).
    4. Wolfgang wheel cleaner and IronX to clean wheels, agitating with brushes and powerwashed clean. (I forgot I actually had Sonax sitting on the shelf too).
    5. Dried off the car (or basically wiped off the water) using a water blade. Didn't really care if it scracthed at all since I was about to paint correct anyway. I typically only use the blade on the windows and the XPEL but for now I just wiped off the entire car.
    6. Then I taped off most seams (because I know from last time that getting polish on the trim and the seals in between the seams is a pain in the ass to get off).
  2. Paint Correct
    1. Using GG DA Polisher, first HD Polished entire car with orange LC pad. Wiping clean with microfiber cloths after each panel. This didn’t cut enough. It got a lot of swirls but there were a lot left.
    2. Did entire car again with HD Adapt and orange LC pad. This went VERY well. Next time I'll just go direct to this. (again wiping clean with microfiber cloths after each panel.)
    3. Inspected car and cleaned up remaining scratches with HD Adapt and white LC pad. (once again again wiping clean with microfiber cloths after each panel.)
  3. Coating
    1. Removed all tape.
    2. Applied Mothers Reflections Tire Care on tires.
    3. IPA'd the car to remove residue polish on panels (especially the tape seams) with bottle 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water and microfiber cloths.
    4. Applied first coat of 22ple VX1 Pro with applicator pad, doing a panel at a time. Let sit for 5 minutes each panel then buffed off with microfiber cloth.
    5. Let first coat sit for 6 hours.
    6. Second coat of 22ple VX1.
    7. Also applied 22ple VM1 to wheels, again letting sit for 5 minutes and wiping off with microfiber cloth. Only applied 1 coat here. These wheels are coming off soon anyway to replace with Tsportline's gray 19" turbines.
  4. Took photos :)

The car came outgreat. All the swirls were easilyremoved by HD Adapt and an orange pad. There were a few deeper scratches that got reduced but I wasn't tryingto reduce every single little scratch. Only a few of those remain anyway. Not noticible (except to me, b/c I know where they are lol).

As for thesandblasted front, it looks better but the XPEL film has taken a beating over46k miles. HD Adapt actually did cleanit up a lot though, but under a brinkman you can see the damage to the film. Oh well. It's not like everybody walks around with a brinkman anyway.

As for the 22ple,damn it's very shiny. I'm hoping thishelps protect the clear coat much more. I had only opted for XPEL Ultimate on the full front of the car but therest was completely unprotected. Lastyear I applied Glare professional polish a few times. While that came out looking pretty good, Iwas disappointed with it's actual protection. It didn't last very long and it certainly did not protect the paintany. Glare only bonds with the pain tohide swirls. It doesn't actually removethem. Once the glare comes off, theswirls are right there again staring back at you. I decided to try a more permanent or longerlasting protection this time, hence the 22ple. I know 22ple actually takes about 5 days to fully cure, so it should geteven shinier over the next few days.

Also, I have a newrespect for detailers. This job was apain in the ass. Literally. My lower back is killing me and now I had topop 5 advil for the pain. :) One thing is for sure, I'll never buy a black car again. This was a first, and last. I am hoping this P85 lasts me 20 years though...

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0738.jpg

Full gallery ofphotos here including some before photos: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B52Y8nnY5acDeHU1X19ES21DVHM

BTW photos were taken with a Nikon D90 in Landscape mode. Completely unedited/unaltered. Yes, 22ple=very shiny.

Looks fantastic!

I'm curious to see how 22PLE stands up to the rain and future washings as well as durability. I've been anxious to try it myself, but I have another bottle of C1 and EXOv2 as well as some Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating that I need to use up. And nice call on the Nanoskin mitt. I tried this on my wife's car the other weekend, and loved it (used the Nanoskin Bubble Bath). Last year when I detailed my MS, I used Griot's clay and the Nanoskin fine grade sponge...was converted at that point.

Slap some DLUX on that trim!