TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

#472 - Flat black wrapped - Baton Rouge, LA [SOLD]

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by TEG, Jun 20, 2012.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Love that matt black look. Wasn't there another one in Monaco or south of France?

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Damn, but that is a cool look.

4. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

This could qualify for the "What did you park next to..." thread. WTH is that thing?

TeslaWrapped.jpg

5. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Nevermind, I see the last picture in the auction shows a big CXT sticker on the back of it. Could you have to more opposite vehicles? 14,000 pounds, 8–10 miles per gallon, and has a 70 gallon tank.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#6 vfx, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    Really wanted to do that. Tesla would not do a factory flat paint for me.
    Oh well, I like my 2nd choice too and my wife keeps reminding me that having a low silent car the exact surface quality of asphalt is risky. Wonder how it affects mileage?

There was a guy here in LA had his Roadster delivered in primer. Was going to have his Lambo painter do the spraying.

7. Zextraterrestrial

having the asphalt color??

haha
    (is the flat color really much rougher than a glossy color for surface drag?)

8. AndyM

AndyM Member

I don't think stealth technology works that way... but it looks "stealthy".

As for CF, check out MythBusters' episode on "dirty car vs. clean car." :)

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Heh... I had already put that picture there!
    I think that is the vehicle they used to tow the Roadster there, before they wrapped it.
    beforewrap.jpg

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is that a Ford F550?

12. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

My guess is that it is an International.

13. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

After 2 years of lurking and poking around - it looks like I bought this one. (8 weeks before my model S, of course) I get to be a real Tesla owner at last!

If anyone can coach me on how to best complete a purchase over Ebay or on how to bring a car to California from out of state and get it registered - it would be greatly appreciated.

14. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

If you got it for $65k then you got an awesome deal. I purchased mine out of state and i traded the cashiers check for the title and loaded the car on a trailer. You can also use a shipping company but i wanted to see the car. Then i registered it in my home state with title in hand.

15. augkuo

augkuo Member

Congrats you got a great deal! You can complete the purchase with paypal and use a covered shipper to bring it to California. Make sure you get the original title from the owner and you'll have
    to fill out some forms at the DMV to get it registered and inspected for California registration (no Smog needed). You'll pay the fees + tax (about 10%) and they don't take credit cards so make sure
    you have that cash in the bank (they'll take ATM cards). Depending upon the shipper's schedule, it might take a few weeks for the car to get to you - in the meantime, since you have the VIN number,
    you can apply for a license plate and carpool tags. I used Crown Carriers to ship my vehicle from Texas, their number is 214 773 0069, email [email protected]

Good luck and see you around town!

Augie

16. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

#17 Pantera Dude, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
    Congratulations!!! I hope to follow in your footsteps one of these days. But you are not supposed to be buying a roadster! I'm banking on Model S owners to be selling their roadsters! :biggrin:

17. Andrew Wolfe

Yep. $65K. I think a couple are coming onto the market right now due to the Model S shipments. I happened to bid exactly the reserve on this one and nobody else bid. It looks like it is in great condition so I went for it. After all the times I was outbid at $80K, this seems like a good deal. I need to decide whether to leave on the wrap (which looks cool in the photos) or strip it back to the blue - which I also like. I need to pick one before I put on carpool stickers.

I am hoping to just have it shipped without going out to Baton Rouge. So far, I have absolutely no reason to doubt that the seller is anything but a straight arrow - but if anyone has done a remote transaction and has any advice as to how to ensure that everything is legit, it will be much appreciated.

Did anyone Paypal the entire amount of the car?

18. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

#19 pgwoosley, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    You have 3 somewhat related issues:
    1. A secure exchange of money for a clear title and car
    2. Transporting the car
    3. Getting it registered in CA

Normally for this size of transaction one would use a wire transfer or a cashier's check. PayPal fees on $65k would be quite high. You would want to have the seller fax or email a copy of the title. If you pick up in person, you could hand over a cashier's check when you pick up the car and the title.

If you prefer not to pick up the car, you need to decide what you want to do to protect yourself. Many dealers use a "title draft" which is like a check, but the signed over title has to be with the document for the bank to honor it. But most individuals are not familiar with them.

One option is an escrow agent. I have not had the occasion to use one, but I understand you can find some though EBay.

As far as shipping is concerned, there is an Auto Transport posting board on Yahoo, and transport companies are often mentioned on the Arcane Auto Yahoo board and the Microcar board. One company that has been highly recommended is http://www.bestrateautotransport.com -- ask for Stephanie.

If you are going to drive, be sure you have a 240 volt connector with a 14-50 plug. One could put a 14-50 plug on a wall connector, but be sure to dial back the charging rate to match the supply. Most RV parks have 50 amp 240 volt service with 14-50 connectors. If you plan to drive and want to fill up in Houston, send me a private email. I live just a couple of miles off of I-10. I think you can get a CA one trip permit before you leave, but I would prefer to drive on the seller's plate(s) and mail them back to him if required. (Some states require return and others do not.)

My CA documentation knowledge is a bit dated. I believe that all you need is the old title signed over to you, fill out some forms, an insurance certificate, and pay a lot of money. The VIN will be verified by DMV, AAA, or registration service. DMV allows any police officer to do the verification, but many police departments will not allow their officers do so. Theoretically, you could even get a Louisiana police officer to do the verification. With a Louisiana verification on CA forms (and an insurance certificate), you could even have a CA set of plates before you pick up the car to drive back.

Be sure to notify your insurance company of the purchase. You may be covered for 30 days anyway, but I would prefer not to take the chance. You will need some sort of insurance certificate to register the car.

DMV.CA.GOV has considerable information

19. Andrew Wolfe