Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#472 - Flat black wrapped - Baton Rouge, LA [SOLD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Tesla : Roadster Convertable Tesla : Roadster Convertable | eBay
$(KGrHqR,!h4E-(cIICKlBP4Q4p(wpg~~60_3.JPG

(Electric Blue under the wrap)

Last edited:
Really wanted to do that. Tesla would not do a factory flat paint for me.
Oh well, I like my 2nd choice too and my wife keeps reminding me that having a low silent car the exact surface quality of asphalt is risky. Wonder how it affects mileage?

There was a guy here in LA had his Roadster delivered in primer. Was going to have his Lambo painter do the spraying.

Last edited:
After 2 years of lurking and poking around - it looks like I bought this one. (8 weeks before my model S, of course) I get to be a real Tesla owner at last!

If anyone can coach me on how to best complete a purchase over Ebay or on how to bring a car to California from out of state and get it registered - it would be greatly appreciated.

If you got it for $65k then you got an awesome deal. I purchased mine out of state and i traded the cashiers check for the title and loaded the car on a trailer. You can also use a shipping company but i wanted to see the car. Then i registered it in my home state with title in hand.

After 2 years of lurking and poking around - it looks like I bought this one. (8 weeks before my model S, of course) I get to be a real Tesla owner at last!

If anyone can coach me on how to best complete a purchase over Ebay or on how to bring a car to California from out of state and get it registered - it would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats you got a great deal! You can complete the purchase with paypal and use a covered shipper to bring it to California. Make sure you get the original title from the owner and you'll have
to fill out some forms at the DMV to get it registered and inspected for California registration (no Smog needed). You'll pay the fees + tax (about 10%) and they don't take credit cards so make sure
you have that cash in the bank (they'll take ATM cards). Depending upon the shipper's schedule, it might take a few weeks for the car to get to you - in the meantime, since you have the VIN number,
you can apply for a license plate and carpool tags. I used Crown Carriers to ship my vehicle from Texas, their number is 214 773 0069, email [email protected]

Good luck and see you around town!

Augie

Congratulations!!! I hope to follow in your footsteps one of these days. But you are not supposed to be buying a roadster! I'm banking on Model S owners to be selling their roadsters! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you got it for $65k then you got an awesome deal. I purchased mine out of state and i traded the cashiers check for the title and loaded the car on a trailer. You can also use a shipping company but i wanted to see the car. Then i registered it in my home state with title in hand.

Yep. $65K. I think a couple are coming onto the market right now due to the Model S shipments. I happened to bid exactly the reserve on this one and nobody else bid. It looks like it is in great condition so I went for it. After all the times I was outbid at $80K, this seems like a good deal. I need to decide whether to leave on the wrap (which looks cool in the photos) or strip it back to the blue - which I also like. I need to pick one before I put on carpool stickers.

I am hoping to just have it shipped without going out to Baton Rouge. So far, I have absolutely no reason to doubt that the seller is anything but a straight arrow - but if anyone has done a remote transaction and has any advice as to how to ensure that everything is legit, it will be much appreciated.

Did anyone Paypal the entire amount of the car?

You have 3 somewhat related issues:
1. A secure exchange of money for a clear title and car
2. Transporting the car
3. Getting it registered in CA

Normally for this size of transaction one would use a wire transfer or a cashier's check. PayPal fees on $65k would be quite high. You would want to have the seller fax or email a copy of the title. If you pick up in person, you could hand over a cashier's check when you pick up the car and the title.

If you prefer not to pick up the car, you need to decide what you want to do to protect yourself. Many dealers use a "title draft" which is like a check, but the signed over title has to be with the document for the bank to honor it. But most individuals are not familiar with them.

One option is an escrow agent. I have not had the occasion to use one, but I understand you can find some though EBay.

As far as shipping is concerned, there is an Auto Transport posting board on Yahoo, and transport companies are often mentioned on the Arcane Auto Yahoo board and the Microcar board. One company that has been highly recommended is http://www.bestrateautotransport.com -- ask for Stephanie.

If you are going to drive, be sure you have a 240 volt connector with a 14-50 plug. One could put a 14-50 plug on a wall connector, but be sure to dial back the charging rate to match the supply. Most RV parks have 50 amp 240 volt service with 14-50 connectors. If you plan to drive and want to fill up in Houston, send me a private email. I live just a couple of miles off of I-10. I think you can get a CA one trip permit before you leave, but I would prefer to drive on the seller's plate(s) and mail them back to him if required. (Some states require return and others do not.)

My CA documentation knowledge is a bit dated. I believe that all you need is the old title signed over to you, fill out some forms, an insurance certificate, and pay a lot of money. The VIN will be verified by DMV, AAA, or registration service. DMV allows any police officer to do the verification, but many police departments will not allow their officers do so. Theoretically, you could even get a Louisiana police officer to do the verification. With a Louisiana verification on CA forms (and an insurance certificate), you could even have a CA set of plates before you pick up the car to drive back.

Be sure to notify your insurance company of the purchase. You may be covered for 30 days anyway, but I would prefer not to take the chance. You will need some sort of insurance certificate to register the car.

DMV.CA.GOV has considerable information

Last edited: