Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.12.1 = Daily MCU Crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey,

Anyone else got the above and noticed that the MCU jut keeps locking up, I’ve got MCU two and never had any of the issues others have reported with Spotify locking up or the likes but not oh boy since this latest update the MCU is locking up many times a day.

Am I alone? At one point the main cluster locked up and had to do a reset whilst driving.... that was fun, not

hey,

Anyone else got the above and noticed that the MCU jut keeps locking up, I’ve got MCU two and never had any of the issues others have reported with Spotify locking up or the likes but not oh boy since this latest update the MCU is locking up many times a day.

Am I alone? At one point the main cluster locked up and had to do a reset whilst driving.... that was fun, not

Yep same here MCU2. Joy

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I have had almost daily lock ups for the year I have owned it. If it’s not Spotify, it’s navigate,dodgy half words etc.

You just get used to it in the end in the hope that one day it will all be fixed.

This makes no sense, I'm not sure that waiting for a fix is going to help, if it was simply buggy code why aren't we all seeing the problem?

I have had zero lock-ups of Spotify, and no problems with navigation or anything else for that matter since I got the car new in June 2018...

Last edited:
Very lucky then, driving in to work today it showed the song was playing but no sound. When it rebooted the New Releases and Playlist options were missing from the left hand menu so I had to reboot again to get them back. I do wonder if it a Data Signal issue where the car starts up in a low signal issue but it does appear to happen most days in most locations.

I’ve had the car since September and had no issues with the MCU at all only exception was the featured playlists and what’s new stuff didn’t appear when I went to V9 but V8 was solid then for no reason the issue mentioned above just fixed itself.

V9 again has been solid since fart update, now it’s locking around the clock. I drive in the same area so I’m not lead to believe it’s signal as it’s been working fine on same roads etc but I guess there could be something in that as I’ve see “no internet” displayed on the main cluster when the main MCU is locked up.

I had a 2017 loaner last month and that did the same however that was before this recent update which has caused me issues on my car :(

I'd settle for a daily crash.

What I actually have is half the letters missing on the MCU, regular software lockups, the borwser flat doesn't work (not much new there I know), spotify works sometimes (nor there) and the phone integration is a nightmare. AP is not bad though except for crapping out on lane changes sometimes (AP1 could get that right ...)

Quite grumpy about it now in all honesty.
I do appreciate the good bits of V9 but overall it is a complete clusterf*

I love updates as much as the next owner. But busting stuff that used to work just fine before gets me hacked off pretty quick.
@tesla - for pitys sake - test the damn software before release

What's even more frustrating is that now if you call the tech support line, where in the past you would get somebody making notes, checking your car logs, checking for similar reports and escalating as necessary (I had several gremlins fixed that way); now all you get is we'll inform your local SC and they will be in touch type palmoff. Yeah right. (ok - they did once).

hey,

No, you're not alone! Most of my woes are with the Spotify App which after the "fart" update started freezing up multiple times per day and then started taking down the whole MCU with it (mine is an early 2018 MCU1 Model X). I've kind of fixed it myself by deleting all my Spotify saved playlists (within the stock Tesla account) and now only selecting music from featured playlists or the search engine. If I stick to that regime then it works pretty well (at least as well as it used to) and doesn't ever crash the MCU. It basically looks like the update somehow corrupted my Spotify database leading to the constant freeze ups. The "saved artists" page in particular (where I was following maybe a hundred artists) was guaranteed to freeze the MCU within a few seconds.

So it's worth deleting any saved playlists, artists etc you have on your Spotify account and see if that helps. It certainly worked for me, but I haven't had the balls to try and save some new ones to see if it would work again. The upside is that I'm listening to more new music from the featured lists, lol!

My car is going in to the SC to sort a few other minor gremlins later this month, so I'll get them to take a good look at it. I expect a complete factory reset might be in order to clear it out.

Well thats a shocker... Just sat here and got a notification i have a software update to install... Maybe the SC are working some magic :)

They also told me when i called before they are do not have a roll back policy "i suspect they do" but if not they could potentially brick/kill a car with an update and you'd be cream crackered...

Well thats a shocker... Just sat here and got a notification i have a software update to install... Maybe the SC are working some magic :)

They also told me when i called before they are do not have a roll back policy "i suspect they do" but if not they could potentially brick/kill a car with an update and you'd be cream crackered...

Let us know how you get on with the update. If an update did ever brick your car I think you'd be in a strong position to claim full compensation! It's entirely their responsibility and even more so under warranty. Be interesting to see what software level it updates to.

This makes no sense, I'm not sure that waiting for a fix is going to help, if it was simply buggy code why aren't we all seeing the problem?
If this is a memory corruption bug, as I suspect it is, those are real pain to reliably reproduce. Anything from which app is showing where, what's on the map, if you have the media player full screen, if you change climate controls... just anything, could be the difference between it showing up for one person and not the other, and even how it shows up (screwed character vs lockups).

I had 48.12.1 for 12 days only but noticed it was quite bad, with stability regressions in AP and rearview camera frequently blacking out

48.12.2 has been much more stable but the browser is still generally frozen without a reset in the morning and/or the back button refuses to work on most sites where it previously did.

Quick update...

I have a few issues with Tesla ATM but I have to give them credit. I call the SC today they run some checks and force an update, installed it which took me to 48.12.2 and whilst it’s only been a few hours so far so good my MCU hasn’t locked once and seems good.

I spoke to the guy at the SC and he said sometimes the car can try and get a map update and FW update at the same time and it can cause issues like I’ve seen, not sure if this is true or not but whatever they did it seems to have sorted it for me.

Will post back if I see any issues. How amazon are over the air updates :)

I had 48.12.1 for 12 days only but noticed it was quite bad, with stability regressions in AP and rearview camera frequently blacking out

48.12.2 has been much more stable but the browser is still generally frozen without a reset in the morning and/or the back button refuses to work on most sites where it previously did.

I’d given up on the browser, V8 it was useable but V9 killed it just tested it after seeing your message and I have to say it is much better it’s not perfect but since V9 I couldn’t even pull google now I’m loading pages with no issues other than being a little slow buts that better than nothing.

Reactions: OPRCE

Glad it seems to have worked for @Fellsteruk but there have only been an handful of downloads over the last week, and 49.X has come out since, but equally seems to have stalled. Hopefully something meaningful and stable is on the way.