Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.12.1 Fixed "Open Window" Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that are getting continuous app notifications of open windows since installing 48.x software, 48.12.1 fixes the issue.

We've had three services over the past week to get this issue resolved. Yesterday, mobile service pushed 48.12.1 and it worked to resolve things. The service tech said that the vehicle correctly had been lowering a window slightly due to low ambient temps. The app, though, was identifying the window as down and sending "window open" notifications. It was a vicious cycle: App notification, user sends "close windows" command, car vents window due to low temps, app notification...

For those that are getting continuous app notifications of open windows since installing 48.x software, 48.12.1 fixes the issue.

We've had three services over the past week to get this issue resolved. Yesterday, mobile service pushed 48.12.1 and it worked to resolve things. The service tech said that the vehicle correctly had been lowering a window slightly due to low ambient temps. The app, though, was identifying the window as down and sending "window open" notifications. It was a vicious cycle: App notification, user sends "close windows" command, car vents window due to low temps, app notification...

Not doubting for a minute what you were told, but I say BS.

The window(s) open thing has been going on for some months and not in my experience related to any automated opening of windows.

When I close windows, I tend to make a point of releasing the switch the moment the glass stops moving. My trial and error playing around suggests that this does not give the system a 'closed' indication. If you make a point of closing windows from the driver's controls and hold the switch for a couple of seconds after the glass stops moving, I think you will see no more open messages.

Maybe someone who knows better how the 'closed' position is detected can confirm, but my guess is that it use the motor stall current. The recalibration routine that Tesla have you go through happens to end with holding the window close switch several seconds in close position which 'works' until you use the window normally.

I have a much later update than 48.12. (48.37?) and I still get the erroneous notifications. Very frustrating in the middle of a rain for example and you go to your car and the windows are all tightly in place. Come on Tesla fix it.

I don't believe there is a fix. IMO / guess, the recalibration relies on stalling the window motors. If you always hold the switch long enough for the motor to stall then I don't think you get the app messages.

Closing the windows as you normally would - releasing as the window closes - I suspect does not indicate 'closed' to the car's systems.

This ^^^ is with MS R, so others may be different.

Also, I think recalibration works only from driver’s controls so I don't know if stalling using passenger controls actually has the same effect.

Last edited: