Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
So, the new UI. What are your thoughts? On balance I’m not a fan - mainly because the driving visualisation has got even bigger and I really can’t see the point wasting all that screen estate to something so pointless. Now we’ve got the map and music etc squashed up on the left. The biggest UI fail already on in such a big screen is that you can’t have music and map co-resident. This makes it worse. And I still can’t understand why the lights can’t be controlled by tapping the icons rather than having to go into a menu. Try turning fog lights on in a hurry.

So, the new UI. What are your thoughts? On balance I’m not a fan - mainly because the driving visualisation has got even bigger and I really can’t see the point wasting all that screen estate to something so pointless. Now we’ve got the map and music etc squashed up on the left. The biggest UI fail already on in such a big screen is that you can’t have music and map co-resident. This makes it worse. And I still can’t understand why the lights can’t be controlled by tapping the icons rather than having to go into a menu. Try turning fog lights on in a hurry.
I like some of it e.g. Speed Limit stuff but not others especially the much larger Avatar Area, why not make some of this optional or relate it to FSD installed or not ?

The speed, ap and roadsign position is a step back.

Adding camera to the bottom bar has made it lop sided. Why could it not stay on the card area.

I don't know why the volume up/down needs it's own icon, could be either.side of music.

There's so much unused space.

The bottom bar in darkmode, is a shade of grey instead of black, but the "more" pop up is black.

Good intentions, poorly implementation.

Way too much wasted space with the new visualisations.
Try reading a web page when parked....half the screen is now taken up by an image of the blooming car. The web browser should have a "maximise" option to allow it to go full screen.

Shoving all the icons onto the task bar squashes them up. They were already difficult enough to hit when driving, now they're almost dangerous.

A big thumbs down from me. Shame we can't wind back updates.

Initially devastated the Navigation and Spotify display had been reduced, but the bigger picture I suppose is that the larger drive screen area will probably be very useful for a multitude of other purposes. Looks a bit of a hash at this point, but I think with the right tweets in the months ahead it’ll be fine.

On balance I think it’s an improvement - Just...

• Disagree
Reactions: Wol747 and glide
Without seeing the new layout, but based on previous layout, I have always thought that the UI needs to be more context aware - one set of priorities for AP/FSD, one for 'normal' driving, another for park etc. The problem with that, is that AP/FSD is not stable enough at the moment for this to work without compromising its feel, but you would still get away with one for park and one for drive.

I'm glad the option to change vote seems to be in there. Peoples thoughts may change over time.

Been for a drive and overall I like it. Yes, the actual speed could be a little bigger. Seems a little messy with so many speeds together and I feel like the Autopilot available/on symbol should be somehow integrated into the TACC set speed to declutter the number of numbers or move all the autopilot symbol and it's engaged speed to the left and keep actual speed and limit on the right...

No problem with the symbols down the side. Had to look where the indicators had gone but will soon get used to that and new users won't know any different.

Reactions: Tonyf
I don't like it if it stays fixed. Need options. I don't need visualizations all the time for example. Bottom row should be customizable as well.

If left side is collapsible, like a menu that would be nice. I don't always need to see the speed as well, could be a tiny number or no number, especially when I have speed limit warnings on. Gear indicator could be 1 letter, what's the point of seeing other grayed out ones?

They messed up proportions for sure. Proper margins are key for UX flow.

Reactions: Wol747
There was an interesting piece on the radio today about the loss of "nuance" amongst most of us currently. The perceived need for black and white decisions ... pinning your colours to some issue or other ... or deciding whether you like or don't like something as if there's only one item to consider when there are many aspects, features and shades of difference... So, is the UI an improvement or retrograde step? My answer is ... neither!