Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is awaiting update - will leave the wifi switched off for now after reading this thread. Hopefully they'll see the complaints and offer another update to make the map bigger again.

Make sure everyone tweets Musk - it seems to be the only way to successfully feed anything back to Tesla unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: MadScientist
Mine is awaiting update - will leave the wifi switched off for now after reading this thread. Hopefully they'll see the complaints and offer another update to make the map bigger again.

Make sure everyone tweets Musk - it seems to be the only way to successfully feed anything back to Tesla unfortunately.

After reading lots of differing comments on here Ive decided to download this morning and give it a fair chance before criticising. However its snowing heavily here on top of yesterdays frozen snow so i will not be going out quite yet.

I presume it's for FSD visualisation, which we haven't seen the final version of yet (the one the beta testers have got is fine for beta/development but really not an end user product.. needs a lot of polish for that).

I think it was rushed out. No way someone looked at that and said 'yes that's done'. Didn't someone find the build time was something like 4am on christmas morning?

Reactions: adsheff
As I posted in the other thread:

I've just updated. The car section is now way too big. Even if I had FSD (which I think is not going to happen for long, long time, Mr Musk), I don't want to see pretty graphics of what the car thinks it's seeing. It's distracting for one thing, and not really needed for another. I used to think this section was slightly too wide before the update, now it's bloody annoying. I want the ability to move the dividing line.

New speed display (your actual speed) is the only improvement. It is easier to glance at as closer to peripheral view

The lower main display bar is neither better nor worse

Shrink the white space by 50% and make the maps/rest bigger.

Why are all the vehicle menu selections as far away from the driver as possible.

new battery % display is pants. Overall pants.

All the white space is a terrible waste of space. The only significant improvement I can see is the ability to see nav information when functions on the left side of the screen would obscure it. I’m not convinced the space is needed for FSD visualisation. If the car is driving itself, why does the resting person in the seat behind the wheel need to see what the car thinks it is seeing?
Surely the ‘driver’ only needs a notification when it’s time to take over. ❗

Intrigued that the visualisation showed a wheelie bin in the road a long way ahead but never showed the car parked behind it even when I was passing it.

Yeah the visualisations are a lot faster but seem to miss lots of stuff. It makes me worry they've improved speed by reducing the amount of processing it does, which reduces accuracy - and how deeply that goes.. does it make AP less accurate (it was bad enough already!).

Can’t see the point of looking at a lovely picture of the car that I’m sat in while I’m driving it. It’s gotta have been configured by a young right handed IT person with 20/20 vision who is sat in front of a screen in the comfort of his nice stationary office. It’s not great in my opinion.

Reactions: ChrisA70 and Wol747
I find the contrast between the icons, text and background better. It’s all a little easier to see for me.

That aside, it just seems like a rearrangement of the deck chairs, no real improved utility IMO.

Seriously, if that’s the direction of UX approach then the car is not what I bought. Who tests this junk ?
From my experience of lots of GUI updates these days, teenagers with perfect eyesight for staring at screens. There does appear to be a trend towards not using the available space wisely (IMHO) and leaving too much space. A recent update to the F1 timing app was exactly the same where text font was significantly reduced but no more information presented. I’m sounding like an old git I know but I think I’m a fairly representative demographic of this car.

Noticed that the microphone button is no longer available on screen so only way to access voice controls is via the steering wheel button.

Also, the reverse camera now has a dedicated button on the screen but if you expand the options with the chevron it's repeated there too!

>>When driving I use voice control to change or for anything else it's safer to go full screen when parked.<<

Wow - you have voice control that WORKS?
Yes & the same with my wife, almost 100% of the time for music, climate, fan speed, show energy graph, call a phone contact etc. The fails relate to temporary loss of LTE but it recognises voice commands much better than any other vehicle I've owned.

Don't use it for nav, preferring to share Apple or Google map destination from the phone although I recently needed to find a Tesco using voice & it immediately gave me all the nearest to choose from.

I've just been for my first drive with the new UI. How did this get past any form of UAT?

• The 'Hold' icon is completely obscured by the steering wheel - it could easily sit up under the gear selector icons
  • Pretty sure I used to be able to touch any track in a phone playlist and it would play. Now it will not.
  • The Energy bar - wtf? It's so narrow it's almost not there. I, like many Tesla owners, am in the over 50's category and I can only just see the regen dots, but I have to stare at the line to see them.
  • The white space. I find it actually annoying as it's in my peripheral vision, and I can't imagine what it's been extended for, surely not FSD features as that would be an even bigger driver distraction to see more animations permanently on screen.
  • As a side effect of the white space growing, my maps and other functions are smaller, when it's these things that should have the real estate space, not the car animations which I personally think were ott before the update.
Overall, it makes the driving experience worse. I can only hope a future update corrects some of these failings, but I'm not holding my breath.