Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer it, and definitely prefer more area around the car when driving, in fact I would prefer more around the side and back. I would like the car battery symbol, outside temp, and time at lot larger font.

I agree with above, when parked, you should have full screen for some things. Does not bother me with the Nav, rarely use it, but it is still way big enough.

Overall the car feels less enjoyable to use with this update, it’s very disappointing to be continually distracted by an overly sensitive vehicle display and all that white space glaring at you.

I would be interested in an explanation from the developers to see how they justify the UX of this latest update - but there appears to be zero accountability between code monkeys and users.

When navigating using an upward orientation, a narrower 'portrait' view should be sufficient even though the larger map did look good (it could be argued that most of the time, seeing a wider map view to the sides and behind the car was itself unnecessary).

Yes, the driving visualisation has expanded at the expense of the maps but in most instances the important part is immediately in front of & around the car. That hasn't changed, even on the even narrower map strip shown on US FSD beta videos.

I am assuming you're joking?
(a) FSD in anything approaching level 5 is years ahead, if at all - certainly not with the current cars.
(b) No-one in their right mind ignores where the car is going, and where it thinks it's going. Situational awareness isn't just for aviation, you know!
You are commenting on a picture that's of Full Self Driving in the US, real life, actually happening, no need to turn left, bear right etc. It'll take some time to be tuned for mass rollout, but that's months now. In the UK we already have the legislation in place to allow full hands off, doing something else L4 automation in April this year for low speed motorway driving, but our government are considering extending that to make some value of being outside the EU. I'm fully confident that by this time next year there will be situations where my car drives itself.

'Situational Awareness' should be focused on looking out of the window, and not studying a map.

When navigating using an upward orientation, a narrower 'portrait' view should be sufficient even though the larger map did look good (it could be argued that most of the time, seeing a wider map view to the sides and behind the car was itself unnecessary).

Yes, the driving visualisation has expanded at the expense of the maps but in most instances the important part is immediately in front of & around the car. That hasn't changed, even on the even narrower map strip shown on US FSD beta videos.
I used sat nav for the first time on this update today. I wear glasses and the edge of my lens isn't as clear as the centre, they are quite big lenses I guess. With the sat nav directions shifted to the left I now have to turn my head to read them, as opposed to just move my eyes. It now feels like a huge distraction to check directions.

They should use the mass of white space above the car visualisation to place the next sat nav directions, or give that as an option at least.

These changes have just made a centre placed dash a pain to use.

Whilst I am complaining about the UI, I hate the recently introduced music search results change. If I search for a podcast I have to take my eyes of the road 4 or 5 times as I scroll down through the categories, previously it took me one look to select the podcasts category.

I like having no dash in front of the driver, but every UI refinement should make that work better, not worse!

Situational Awareness' should be focused on looking out of the window, and not studying a map.

I agree. So I don’t understand why a complex visualisation is needed for FSD when the L2 / L3 ‘attentive driver’ needs to be paying attention to what is happening in the real world outside the window rather than looking at a screen. With true L4 or L5 FSD , the ‘driver’ should be able to use the full screen to watch Netflix or play games - no visualisation needed.

They should use the mass of white space above the car visualisation to place the next sat nav directions, or give that as an option at least.

If you block the map with another info screen - for instance, music - the turn directions appear exactly where you are suggesting.

At least, they do on my car.

I have to say, I'm not best pleased with the new look. It's like having a mid-range car where some of the facilities available on the more expensive ones in the range are blanked off with plastic inserts. I can see on US videos how all that white space is being used but on mine, it's just white glare. I think I'd prefer to have what was there before until Euro cars become more featured.

The distracting visualisations with things like headlamp glare from the on-screen car really concern me. One of my pet hates when night driving is light bleed from LCDs which made my think very hard about ordering an M3 in the first place.

I was a massive fan of the Night Panel in old SAABs (remember that?) and in my BMW there's a function to properly turn off the infotainment screen and have no backlighting which I used so often I mapped it to a shortcut button.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenners
I agree. So I don’t understand why a complex visualisation is needed for FSD when the L2 / L3 ‘attentive driver’ needs to be paying attention to what is happening in the real world outside the window rather than looking at a screen. With true L4 or L5 FSD , the ‘driver’ should be able to use the full screen to watch Netflix or play games - no visualisation needed.

Beta FSD is designed so that the "Tester" driver verifies what's on the screen with what the car actually does. I doubt that visualisation will be the default when it's out of beta.

I generally agree that any visualisation is purely a gimmick at this point when it comes to regular driving. If anything it makes people wrongfully assume phantom braking is happening because that lorry glitched through a lane on the visualisation...

It's basically a Tesla always-on advert for the passengers. If I could have a mini music player there instead that would be neat. Or they can overlay actual satnav direction (like navigate on autopilot but on all the time when manually driving) That would be useful. If it colours the turn lines it detects on the road with the turn you actually need to make, and what lane you should be in...