Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest issue I have with the new UI is that the Brake Hold icon is hidden behind my left hand. I'm in the habit of checking the Brake Hold is active whenever I stop, and now I have to take my left hand off the wheel to check it. If the designers put all the icons on the right of the screen thinking that the whole world drives on the right, then that's pretty shoddy.

this thread is super confusing for model S owners :D the UI is presumably completely different. I don't mind the model S changes. I only noticed some fonts size and location adjustments on the drivers screen. If the big screen changed, i haven't noticed how yet.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
52-48.gif

Moderator comment - controversial reference removed - against forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty horrid.. the most important information - your speed - is relegated to a mess other information, also speeds..

It somehow manages to have too much whitespace and be too busy at the same time..

They're designing for some kind of ideal future where everyone uses FSD. and you don't care about that information.. which isn't going to happen for years, if ever. Until then we've got to cope with a suboptimal UI for actual driving.

Shrinking the browser window is just annoying. I can't help wonder if it's to break all the sites that were offering streaming of things other than netflix and youtube..

It's pretty horrid.. the most important information - your speed - is relegated to a mess other information, also speeds..

It somehow manages to have too much whitespace and be too busy at the same time..

They're designing for some kind of ideal future where everyone uses FSD. and you don't care about that information.. which isn't going to happen for years, if ever. Until then we've got to cope with a suboptimal UI for actual driving.

Shrinking the browser window is just annoying. I can't help wonder if it's to break all the sites that were offering streaming of things other than netflix and youtube..
And that's if you can sign in to you tube at all

Updated earlier today. Just drove to the local 24 hour supermarket and found it easy to get used to the new screen layout.

Car rendering is a lot nicer and the display of what the car is seeing is a lot clearer, though it does display it as if the road is some kind of annotated pool of water (with lane lines and arrows floating about all over the place.) I guess it will be better when the FSD rewrite gets out of beta (I don't have FSD but I'd imagine the general lane, road markings and obstacle identification will be available to all.)

It would be nice to be able to resize it though.

There's some weird UI stuff too like an artist got involved in designing it. The UI doesn't have any real differentiation of what's a button or text.. For example, the Frunk OPEN now looks like you have the Frunk open rather than it been a button to open it. Ok, so it's bold and all capitals... but then the charge port is just the lighting arrow it isn't labelled Charge port OPEN etc.. lots of inconsistencies in the design from a UI perspective. If you're not careful with these piecemeal changes it ends up like Windows where everything looks good on the surface but load up Notepad and you're suddenly in the 90's again!

I've always felt it odd that we have quick access to the wipers, but not to all the lights which are on the car/quick controls...

I too think the X button to close should move to the right for RHD cars as otherwise you always have to stretch to close windows.

The biggest UI fail already on in such a big screen is that you can’t have music and map co-resident.
The option of music visible as a single strip below the map is sufficient for me (prefer to listen to music, not look at it). When driving I use voice control to change or for anything else it's safer to go full screen when parked.

I don't know why the volume up/down needs it's own icon, could be either.side of music.
Volume position far left is useful for a passenger.... don't all drivers use the scroll wheel?