Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a quick drive and initially I found it ok. I like the new speedo and the rearranged icons on the RH side of the display. What I did like is “hey Siri” now works and will wake up when spoken to and then the car audio takes over. This did not work for me before this update. I recently added a HomeKit garage door opener, so I can now use Siri to open it from my car.( I know this was probably not top of anyone’s list!but I like that it works now].

Last edited:
Few more observations...

1. If you press anywhere on the frunk, the frunk opens. I just wanted to pan the car around but had to get out and close the frunk.
2. The colour render of my car is very different on the driving display vs the car image in the vehicle information.

Reactions: doats1
My wife rarely drives the car however she did this morning after the update had completed over night, I hadn't seen the UI changes either. The RING drive camera kept going off so had to have a look and witnessed my wife jumping in and out of the car checking the boot and bonnet were shut, thought odd. I go out and sure enough, as others have commented , the UI seems to be reporting that both are open as opposed to being the buttons to perform the open task. Not great and can't say i'm a fan of the reduced map size. Let's see what UI options are available in the future....

Reactions: Fraank
My wipers were OFF. I pressed the new wiper icon expecting to get the full wiper menu. Had to press the wiper icon that piped up in order to get the menu and reset to auto. Not very helpful programming!

And as I’ve posted elsewhere, I find the large pool of light in the headlight visualisation is intolerably bright compared to the rest of the display when driving in the dark.

Reactions: Wol747
Took a couple of images today:

1. Rear camera icon available in main bar and with the menu expanded, although two different icons are used:

upload_2020-12-30_20-22-11.png

2. Car colour in visualisation vs software tab - my car is MSM although I'm don't think either colour displayed is a good representation:

upload_2020-12-30_20-23-48.png

• Informative
Reactions: BDV300
I have no real objections to the update and the way it looks.

Except...

1. If you press anywhere on the frunk, the frunk opens. I just wanted to pan the car around but had to get out and close the frunk.

This is annoying.

Also, if I'm in park and I have hazards on, the indicator animation get in the way of the frunk open button. It still works, but just looks annoying.

Have they gone mad ? What is the point of this ?

My kids have been using sketchpad while I drove them to school for the past 3 months.... Not much different to them using their pads.

What I found the best feature of the new update is when music or something else is full screen and you cant see the map the next few satnav turns are now displayed for you on next to the driving visualisation (on the 3). Which is a godsend if someone is fiddling with the music and I'm worried ill miss the next turn.

Other than that... meh. Seeing the traffic cones was cool, but now i'd rather see something else instead of driving visualisation. It's not actually of any use other than testing FSD. I'd be nice If i can have something else there.

But whatever, still better than other cars. I'd take forced updates vs zero updates any day.

I wish they had assigned "call" function on to one of the steering buttons. Like, a long press of volume rocker switches to phone function and rocker allows to scroll through recent calls or phonebook; then make the call with a short press; end the call with another short press, when it reverts back to music/volume function!!!!

Reactions: spooksman
We’re split down the middle.
I wonder if it’s an age thing.
I’m an old git and I didn’t like it. But I love smart phones and tablets so I’m really at home with tech and touch screens.
I really would welcome a customisable UI

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Dilly, I'm an old git and love modern tech.

I think this goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time. If they only issued updates that would suit everybody or nearly everybody, we'd probably still be on or near the original issue from 2012!

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
How do you access the Wh/mile and tyre pressure slide tabs now ? I've tried the sweep left/right that brought them up instantly before but no joy now. The voice command works for the tyre pressure but can't find the right one for Wh/mile.
It’s accessed the same way by swiping. It’s just a bit more tricky
You could try “show odometer” but don’t hold your breath!

It’s accessed the same way by swiping. It’s just a bit more tricky
You could try “show odometer” but don’t hold your breath!

I tried that so many times, it very briefly half appears but doesn't stay. Not tried when stationary but that's not really when you need it. What a crock of shite.

I am getting rather fed up with these pointless updates that don't seem to achieve very much but mess up stuff that was working quite effectively before. There really ought to be a "revert to previous" option until all the bugs are ironed out.

I tried that so many times, it very briefly half appears but doesn't stay. Not tried when stationary but that's not really when you need it. What a crock of shite.

I am getting rather fed up with these pointless updates that don't seem to achieve very much but mess up stuff that was working quite effectively before. There really ought to be a "revert to previous" option until all the bugs are ironed out.
I just tried the “show odometer” voice command... it worked first time!