Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add a disappointment with the new layout that no-one else has mentioned (the unfortunate re-siting of the brake on icon has already been covered), I used to find that when the regen dots had got down to the “D” gear letter that regen was more or less back to normal. Now not only can I hardly see the regen dots with a glance, but there is no reference point to them. I'm not about to start counting the dots!

Reactions: Adopado
We’re split down the middle.
I wonder if it’s an age thing.
I’m an old git and I didn’t like it. But I love smart phones and tablets so I’m really at home with tech and touch screens.
I really would welcome a customisable UI
I would think whether or not you have FSD impacts people’s feelings about this. The update teases a more complete FSD experience, pretty sure after so many paid lots for not very much any step closer must make you feel better about that, even if you can’t see anything concrete yet.

I would think whether or not you have FSD impacts people’s feelings about this. The update teases a more complete FSD experience, pretty sure after so many paid lots for not very much any step closer must make you feel better about that, even if you can’t see anything concrete yet.
I have FSD but see nothing yet. In reality, do I need to see on screen what the car sees?

Reactions: Wol747
I have FSD but see nothing yet. In reality, do I need to see on screen what the car sees?
Agree, not really sure why you need to see more bins. I would prefer it if the screen could cope with mapping the existing traffic around it rather than the random vehicles it currently seems to show you. Point was really the whole update seems to have been linked to the coming FSD beta developments and autopilot rewrite. I know if I had paid for FSD I would like anything that got me closer to realising the value of what I had paid for, so my bus would be towards favouring any update rather than disliking it. So would be interesting to see how the vote split based on those with FSD and without.

Agree, not really sure why you need to see more bins. I would prefer it if the screen could cope with mapping the existing traffic around it rather than the random vehicles it currently seems to show you. Point was really the whole update seems to have been linked to the coming FSD beta developments and autopilot rewrite. I know if I had paid for FSD I would like anything that got me closer to realising the value of what I had paid for, so my bus would be towards favouring any update rather than disliking it. So would be interesting to see how the vote split based on those with FSD and without.
I guess it’s that we don’t exactly know whether this update lays the ground for the next, or if just a job half done.

Just to add a disappointment with the new layout that no-one else has mentioned (the unfortunate re-siting of the brake on icon has already been covered), I used to find that when the regen dots had got down to the “D” gear letter that regen was more or less back to normal. Now not only can I hardly see the regen dots with a glance, but there is no reference point to them. I'm not about to start counting the dots!

Ha! I used the letters too to mark my regen progress. Of course you can't now and the friggin' bar is so razor thin, it's very hard to see in daylight.

Some people argue that the minimalist UI is meant to reduce distractions. Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, we might as well remove all information or turn the whole display off or make it a dedicated fart machine.

Reactions: Type2
Looks like FSD beta lot have the new UI now and it’s even worse for them
(Proportion wise) - hence EM’s recent comments to different layouts

upload_2020-12-31_22-39-19.png

Is it though, why would you need a map if the car is doing the driving?

I am assuming you're joking?
(a) FSD in anything approaching level 5 is years ahead, if at all - certainly not with the current cars.
(b) No-one in their right mind ignores where the car is going, and where it thinks it's going. Situational awareness isn't just for aviation, you know!