Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48.26 UI Changes - thumbs up or down?

Is the new UI in 48.26 an improvement or is it a retrograde step?

• I like it

Votes: 105 40.1%
  • It’s a retrograde step

Votes: 135 51.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Haven't even installed it yet

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having issues with Netflix since the update? I can't get past the profile screen now?
I'm having a load of problems with Netflix and the charging screen they don't wat to open or close or open in a quarter of the screen and are non responsive.. also the music on my usb drive has started to break up and sounds something like a scratched CD. I'm having to do soft reboots several times a day . I hope .30 will fix it.

Reactions: 94jdh
>>Situational Awareness' should be focused on looking out of the window, and not studying a map.<<

Yes - and no!
Yes, the "immediate" awareness is obviously "outta window". But in real life, awareness of the route is also important. Especially in unfamiliar surroundings such as strange cities it's vital to see ahead routewise - just following the GPS can often take you down roads you don't want etc. An example is when there are two roads one after the other - it's all too easy to turn too early or late. Not the end of the world, no, but in heavy traffic it's a pain.
Driving in Sydney is another example: the signs are usually to suburbs over 900 in Greater Sydney! Having the BIG picture is essential since the destination within the city might be 50m away.

Reactions: pdk42
>>Situational Awareness' should be focused on looking out of the window, and not studying a map.<<

Yes - and no!
Yes, the "immediate" awareness is obviously "outta window". But in real life, awareness of the route is also important. Especially in unfamiliar surroundings such as strange cities it's vital to see ahead routewise - just following the GPS can often take you down roads you don't want etc. An example is when there are two roads one after the other - it's all too easy to turn too early or late. Not the end of the world, no, but in heavy traffic it's a pain.
Driving in Sydney is another example: the signs are usually to suburbs over 900 in Greater Sydney! Having the BIG picture is essential since the destination within the city might be 50m away.
You were reply to the conversation about the FSD on city streets in the US, where the car is making the turns for you.

>>And?<<

Moderator comment - using the forums easily accessible quote and reply functions make it much easier for everyone to see what is being replied to, offers easy navigation back to the original quote and may inform the original poster that their post has been involved in further conversation.

Just reply/quote to the whole post, or highlight/select the required section and quote/reply just to that section.

upload_2021-1-4_9-47-9.png

Last edited:
Reactions: adsheff
It’s accessed the same way by swiping. It’s just a bit more tricky

Ye gods! I've just taken Dasher out for the first time this year (for a little walk somewhere different) and tried to check the tyre pressures. It took about 4 miles of spinning cars (on the screen) and a rare bout of swearing at Tesla, before I managed to swipe the card into sight. Why have they made it so difficult? It's not something that should need so much time with one's eyes off the road. Is it just me?

Reactions: Bernard_S
'Situational Awareness' should be focused on looking out of the window, and not studying a map.

I agree. Hopefully the car knows what it thinks it can see and will drive accordingly (where permitted) and the human driver shouldn't be basing decisions on what the car thinks it saw..... at least not for a LOOOONG time, and when that time comes, the human driver won't need to care either way as their won't be anything they can do about it (if no driver controls).

If anything it makes people wrongfully assume phantom braking is happening because that lorry glitched through a lane on the visualisation.

If the visualisations don't even represent what the car thinks it is seeing (and presumably basing its actions upon) then aren't the visualisations even more pointless? Or looked at the other way, the visualisations must be showing something meaningful (why program a visualisation to be non-representitive of something?) and therefore why not relate phantom braking to something from the visualisation if that seems appropriate?

following the GPS can often take you down roads you don't want

Navigating with GPS absolutely needs simultaneous close-up and route overview especially at junctions / turn-offs imo. Blindly following GPS has got me into some quite stressful situations!

However, not sure that is quite the same issue as visualisations related to AP / FSD etc.

>>Moderator comment - using the forums easily accessible quote and reply functions make it much easier for everyone to see what is being replied to, offers easy navigation back to the original quote and may inform the original poster that their post has been involved in further conversation.
Just reply/quote to the whole post, or highlight/select the required section and quote/reply just to that section.<<

That's the theory! In practice I find that dozens of quotes often come up and it's easier to copy/paste.

Ye gods! I've just taken Dasher out for the first time this year (for a little walk somewhere different) and tried to check the tyre pressures. It took about 4 miles of spinning cars (on the screen) and a rare bout of swearing at Tesla, before I managed to swipe the card into sight. Why have they made it so difficult? It's not something that should need so much time with one's eyes off the road. Is it just me?
Ask the car to “Show tyre pressures” - works every time for me.

If the visualisations don't even represent what the car thinks it is seeing (and presumably basing its actions upon) then aren't the visualisations even more pointless? Or looked at the other way, the visualisations must be showing something meaningful (why program a visualisation to be non-representitive of something?) and therefore why not relate phantom braking to something from the visualisation if that seems appropriate?

Pretty much....

The car sees a lorry, it makes a calucation and either does something or nothing depending on the result. This all happens about 0.01 seconds after it detects a lorry based on an analysis of the first frame from that camera. (by the way FSD beta does it diffirently now, and is much better, but currently it does it frame by frame).

At the same time it asks the iPad inside the car to render the lorry for the driver (which is a completely separate computer by the way) based on the same analysis of the same photo. About ~ 0.3 seconds later the first frames of the grey shape appears on the screen as rendered by the GPU inside the iPad.

The grey shape follows what the iPad computer is told to render by the FSD computer.

About 1-2 seconds later the car applies the brakes for seemingly no reason other than the grey reder of the lorry...

By then the FSD computer already had time to do thousands of calculations. Why did it brake so late? If it reacted to that input it would brake before it showed the problem on the screen, not after.

What i recon is actually happening is input from parking sensors or some other proximity triggering. Spray from the said lorry, perhaps oclusion of lane markings causing a trigger for some epergency routine, maybe to give the computer a chance to react to a bigger problem.

Point is, its not reacting to the render of the iPad becase the braking event happens after the rendered problem event.

So it's just there to look pretty and advertise FSD.

About 1-2 seconds later the car applies the brakes for seemingly no reason other than the grey re{n}der of the lorry...

By then the FSD computer already had time to do thousands of calculations. Why did it brake so late? If it reacted to that input it would brake before it showed the problem on the screen, not after.

It certainly seems reasonable that you are not going to delay the car's response to AP / FSD inputs just to give the driver display chance to catch up.

FSD beta does it diffirently now, and is much better, but currently it does it frame by frame

I don't really understand, but I thought that there is still discussion about just where the differences are. On freeway, looks like FSD Beta still works much the same as current release FSD which is where most phantom braking occurs for me. In 'city' Beta mode, it does much better tracking vehicles between cameras, but the reluctance to make unprotected lefts (in USA) and sometimes appear to drive right at stationary vehicles directly ahead seems to replicate release version hesitancy in Summon mode and not responding to stationary traffic on main roads.

Had an interesting visualisation error when driving in the outside lane of the A34 dual carriageway for several minutes today. Screen clearly showed me in the outside of 3 lanes with the traffic I was passing in the middle lane. The left lane has a clear white line at the left edge, there is no hard shoulder, just a grass verge. When I moved to the left lane the phantom extra lane disappeared. Very strange.

I don't really understand, but I thought that there is still discussion about just where the differences are. On freeway, looks like FSD Beta still works much the same as current release FSD which is where most phantom braking occurs for me. In 'city' Beta mode, it does much better tracking vehicles between cameras, but the reluctance to make unprotected lefts (in USA) and sometimes appear to drive right at stationary vehicles directly ahead seems to replicate release version hesitancy in Summon mode and not responding to stationary traffic on main roads.

The beta display differences are again mostly cosmetic. The huge difference is the way it stitches the views together real time and predicts where objects are going to be in the future based on past trajectory. Current software does not do this. Current software analyses each frame from scratch, then bins the analysis every second.

Whether the new software is only "on" while the FSD beta display is on is pure conjecture. I'm convinced that those who are lucky enough to have the beta program have it everywhere regardless of the display.

EDIT: Just to be clear "FSD Beta" is only out in the US for a few manually selected people. I don't mean regular FSD.

Last edited:
As in the thread on the last update, I've now got a problem in that I can no longer see the speed display when driving. To see it I need to move my left hand and shift my head to the left. It's also a lot harder to read, as someone that wears varifocals for driving, as it seems the font is smaller than it used to be.

In the past, the speed limit icon used to be hidden behind my left hand, which was a slight nuisance, but not really a major issue. Not being able to glance across and read the speed quickly and accurately is a major problem for me now. The line of icons that now run down the right hand edge of the screen may as well not be there, as none of them are now visible when driving.

I'm in discussions with Tesla, but they have already confirmed that they cannot/will not roll back the update to regain the old display.

As in the thread on the last update, I've now got a problem in that I can no longer see the speed display when driving. To see it I need to move my left hand and shift my head to the left. It's also a lot harder to read, as someone that wears varifocals for driving, as it seems the font is smaller than it used to be.

In the past, the speed limit icon used to be hidden behind my left hand, which was a slight nuisance, but not really a major issue. Not being able to glance across and read the speed quickly and accurately is a major problem for me now. The line of icons that now run down the right hand edge of the screen may as well not be there, as none of them are now visible when driving.

I'm in discussions with Tesla, but they have already confirmed that they cannot/will not roll back the update to regain the old display.
It’s a terrible UI update. The ergonomics of it are poor. Important things have been moved to hard-to-see places (speed, status and warning icons) and their font size reduced. Then there’s acres of wasted space for driving visualisation resulting in squashing up the nav, music etc. The browser is significantly impacted by this. The more I use it the more I hate it!

Tesla think they may be able to roll back the update, and revert the display to the way it used to be. However, their initial view is that if they do this the car may no longer have any warranty . . .

They are still looking into it, and the SC staff are being very helpful, but the "official" view is that this isn't a widespread problem, just an issue that I have with my car.

I still have the appointment booked in for the 14th, but frankly I can't see what can be done by a physical trip to the SC right now. I'm not prepared to accept a fix that voids the remainder of the warranty, that's for sure.

Tesla think they may be able to roll back the update, and revert the display to the way it used to be. However, their initial view is that if they do this the car may no longer have any warranty . . .

They are still looking into it, and the SC staff are being very helpful, but the "official" view is that this isn't a widespread problem, just an issue that I have with my car.

I still have the appointment booked in for the 14th, but frankly I can't see what can be done by a physical trip to the SC right now. I'm not prepared to accept a fix that voids the remainder of the warranty, that's for sure.

Perhaps they should start offering tesla branded booster cushions and cuban heels:D:)

In my case viz is OK apart from the small font being a PITA but seat comfort is always a problem at my extreme height with seat back raked aft there's not quite enough lumbar support and the head rest doesn't....