Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amp wall connector on 50 amp circuit for track days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The combiner box is an interesting idea.
You are still better at 40amp then the 32 amp of the mobile connector using the HPWC setup.

I hear what you're saying but it seems to me that the NEC wouldn't put the 3 hour definition on a continuous load if it were true that a 50 amp circuit can only support a 50 amp load for a few minutes without bursting into flames. The fact that something lights on fire rather than tripping a breaker I'd think would be an indicator of a bigger problem with something not being installed correctly to begin with.

Regardless, I'll keep a close eye on it. Doesn't do me any good if the breaker trips, and I have an IR temp gun that I'll monitor cable temps with as well. Next track day is coming up in 2 weeks, so that will be the first opportunity to use this.

Heat generated in the circuit is going to be based on current squared. So, if my morning math is right, 48a is going to generate 44% more heat in a resistor (the wire, breaker, connection, etc) than 40a. 44a would be 21% more heat.
The combiner box is an interesting idea.
I hear what you're saying but it seems to me that the NEC wouldn't put the 3 hour definition on a continuous load if it were true that a 50 amp circuit can only support a 50 amp load for a few minutes without bursting into flames. The fact that something lights on fire rather than tripping a breaker I'd think would be an indicator of a bigger problem with something not being installed correctly to begin with...
Yes, it will take a bigger problem for something to go wrong. That's part of the point I was trying to make. "Things going wrong" are partially built into the NEC. For example if you have a worn contact in the 14-50 outlet it will get hot. At 40A it probably won't start a fire. At 48A and 44% more heat it's much more likely something bad will happen.

Honestly I'm not worried about you. You have an IR thermometer and you've listened carefully to all the warnings. But I wouldn't advertise what you're doing - I'm sure you know some of the types who show up at track days who won't be as careful as you.

8 years ago I would have dismissed these comments I'm making as over-reactionary, the NEC wouldn't rate it for 50A if it couldn't handle it, can't happen here, etc. I would have pulled into the RV park, plugged in at 48A and gone for a walk. I've seen a few close calls since then.

So far so good....sustained 48 amps for an hour or so charging up before 1st session. No issues with hot components.

IMG_20191116_082624.jpg

The unseen problem is the conductors- their size, the run length, insulator heat rating, etc. You can very easily char and melt the insulator on wire, causing it to short, and potentially causing a very dangerous situation for someone other than you. It isn't advisable to do this, and if someone were to get hurt or property was to be damaged you're 100% liable. Whether or not anything bad will happen completely depends on the contractor that installed all of the equipment up to that 14-50 outlet, and I'm betting the track didn't hire the highest qualified union crew to do the work using quality components.

Failures in these systems rarely happen immediately. There just isn't enough energy, as crazy as that sounds. Just look at all of the people with HPWC that weren't connected properly, causing the terminal block to melt and eventually short. Look at all the posts by people that just hired a professional to install a 14-50 outlet in their garage, and now it's charred and not working after a year of use.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
If a conductor in their 50 amp circuit melts with a 48 amp draw after an hour or two, they have much bigger problems than me.

Thanks for the reminder to update this thread, the wall connector worked great the whole day, and I was able to get a constant 48 amp charge rate throughout the day. Although I had to sit one of the four sessions due to brake problems, the charge and discharge rates were about what I expected. This means that going from 40 amps on the Gen 1 UMC to 48 amps on the HPWC is the difference between hoping for a 2 hour break to leave and supercharge vs being able to stay on-site and finish all 4 sessions.

Last edited:
If a conductor in their 50 amp circuit melts with a 48 amp draw after an hour or two, they have much bigger problems than me.

Thanks for the reminder to update this thread, the wall connector worked great the whole day, and I was able to get a constant 48 amp charge rate throughout the day. Although I had to sit one of the four sessions due to brake problems, the charge and discharge rates were about what I expected. This means that going from 40 amps on the Gen 1 UMC to 48 amps on the HPWC is the difference between hoping for a 2 hour break to leave and supercharge vs being able to stay on-site and finish all 4 sessions.

It's 50A max, not 50A continuous, as has been discussed numerous times already. Why do you think there's a difference between the max and constant rating? Because of heat.

It's 50A max, not 50A continuous, as has been discussed numerous times already. Why do you think there's a difference between the max and constant rating? Because of heat.

Not really. It is 50 amps for up to 2 or 3 hours. Paak current can be well over 70 A, like a motor starting, and will not trip a breaker or cause a fire. A proper circuit (not always the case) should have no problem running at 48 A for two hours. If something failed in this scenario, most likely the electrician did not adequately tighten the connections, a wire is damaged, or it is a cheap connector that has worn out.

Not really. It is 50 amps for up to 2 or 3 hours. Paak current can be well over 70 A, like a motor starting, and will not trip a breaker or cause a fire. A proper circuit (not always the case) should have no problem running at 48 A for two hours. If something failed in this scenario, most likely the electrician did not adequately tighten the connections, a wire is damaged, or it is a cheap connector that has worn out.

We're not talking inrush current, so bringing that into the conversation isn't really useful.

I've been struggling to find ways to keep my 3 charged up during track days. Most local tracks I visit have 14-50 outlets available. Started with the original Gen II UMC, which adds about 10% per hour at 32 amps. Not enough to get me through four 20 minute sessions without supercharging. Recently bought a Gen I UMC, adds about 12.5% per hour at 40amps. Better, but still not enough.

Saw an idea posted in another thread to get a HPWC and attach a 14-50 plug to it and set it to 48 amps. This would give me about 15% per hour charge and may be enough to where I could do a full track day without having to leave to supercharge. I know it wouldn't meet code, but it also wouldn't be a permanent installation, and my understanding is a "continuous" load is one that runs for 3 hours or more. I doubt I'd be charging continuously for any more than 2 hours on a track day. On paper, 48 amps is less than 50, so seems like it would work. Would that hold true in practice as well, or is there a good chance I'd be tripping the breaker when I tried to use it?
While it can be done and there are places it has worked successfully for me, I have found more places where it does not work. Not all NEMA 14-50 plugs are top quality. Not all electrical connections are good and fully secure and not all 50 amp breakers truly handle 48 amps even 32 amps at some places. So watch it and occasionally touch it and the plug to make sure no hot spots develop. It it starts getting hot dial it back.

While it can be done and there are places it has worked successfully for me, I have found more places where it does not work. Not all NEMA 14-50 plugs are top quality. Not all electrical connections are good and fully secure and not all 50 amp breakers truly handle 48 amps even 32 amps at some places. So watch it and occasionally touch it and the plug to make sure no hot spots develop. It it starts getting hot dial it back.
Not surprising another long-time Roadster owner has lots of experience to speak on this topic. We learned a lot in the days of 70A AC charging and no superchargers. Now we take our Model 3 on long trips but I wouldn't trade those early adventures for anything.

Got any track videos?