Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amps or 72 Amps... Why should I get either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snark> I'll answer the question that was actually asked in the thread subject line--because if you don't get either, you won't be able to charge at home or at destination chargers. You really limit yourself if you can charge only via DC. </snark>

Put it this way. When your Mother in Law comes over to visit and charge......... Do you want her to stay for 2 hours or 4 hours!:scared:

I think these two answer everything!

72A for me. The biggest reason is the lack of charging options in the Virginia Beach area. When I need to get a charge, I will want to be able to get there and charge without spending another 4 hours.

Question: how do I know if I have 48 or 72 amp on my P90D? I bought a demo so it wasn't a custom order. When I supercharge it says 48 amps (but it's greyed out) don't know if this matters.
The 48A or 72A onboard inverter is only used for AC charging.

Supercharging is DC charging. The onboard inverter is not used during Supercharging.

How do you charge your car at home and what is the amperage of your home charging circuit? What does it show for amperage when you charge at home starting from a low state of charge?

If your P90D was a showroom demo car it probably does not have the 72A charging option

Question: how do I know if I have 48 or 72 amp on my P90D? I bought a demo so it wasn't a custom order. When I supercharge it says 48 amps (but it's greyed out) don't know if this matters.

The greyed out 48 means you have the 48A charger. It would be a greyed out 72 if you had the upgraded charger.

Mike

I personally cant see any reason to update for charging at home. I installed a 14-50 socket and it charges at 30 miles per hour. I cant see any reason why in just a few hours you will be at full charge, Even if you drove 200 miles a day at current charging rate it would still be charged full in less than 7 hours.

It might be useful if
1 - You have (or are willing to pay for) an 80+ amp circuit and Wall Charger to deliver the 72A sustained
2 - Your electricity rates are such that you can't get a full charge within the lowest rate time window (not aware of any)
3 - Your daily driving requirements are such that you frequently return home having used 200+ miles of range, and need to drive again for a significant distance (more than ~80 miles) within an hour or 2

72A home charging isn't needed for the vast majority of people, but I'm sure there is a small percentage for whom it is a necessity.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
To answer your question we have to be able to predict the future. However, we have some points that Elon and Tesla have made to guide us. In a few years they tell us that the number of Teslas added to the roads will increase by over an order of magnitude, year after year. The questions is will Tesla be able to keep up with Supercharger expansion to deal with that influx of new Teslas? If Superchargers become congested destination chargers will take on added significance.

Earlier this year Elon stated at a press conference that the number of destination chargers would in the long-term be 10 times the number of Superchargers. Obviously, Tesla is hedging their bets by offering alternative to Supercharging. I assume they have a reason for that.

Unless you are a "road warrior" you probably don't have to install a full capacity HPWC at home although in most modern homes you probably could. However, I see spending the $1000 to upgrade to a 72 amp on-board charger as a prudent insurance policy that will permit you to charge at destination chargers 50% faster than the speed of the default 48 amp. If you are in line behind a number of other Teslas, even it you choose not to upgrade to the high capacity on-board charger, you will be very happy if the cars in line ahead of you charge 50% faster than your car. ;-)

Here in Florida the vast majority of existing destination chargers are near the full capacity of an HPWC. As others have suggested, perhaps it would be worth your while to research the situation in Virginia. (Click here to view the existing destination chargers in Virginia.) If you do that you will find all destination chargers in Virginia are at least 64 amps and most are 80 amps. So if you opt to go with the default charger you will not be able to benefit from that added capacity. Therefore, if you need a back up to Supercharging you would benefit by having a high capacity on-board charger.

Larry
Returning to the original poster's question, about a year ago I posted the above. Since then there have been a few noteworthy developments to support my points. The most pivotal is the advent of about 400,000 actual reservations for the Model S which is scheduled to begin shipping this year and rapidly ramp up production in subsequent years. Presumably Tesla believes this will impact Supercharger availability and has prudently implemented two policies to partially mitigate congestion at Superchargers, 1) the elimination of "free charging forever" for new Teslas, 2) the imposition of a Supercharger idle fee.

Superchargers Stations are not built in automated factories like cars. Permitting, regulatory and negotiation hurdles require a lot of time for each prospective host location and it is simply not possible to ramp up Supercharger installations to keep pace with vehicle production. Therefore, despite Tesla's best efforts, it is fair to say that if they are successful in rapidly ramping up Model 3 production to hundreds of thousands per year, the handwriting is on the wall regarding future Supercharger congestion.

Another thing to consider is that many existing Tesla owners have orders for Model 3s. So in the future there will probably be a higher incidence of two or more Tesla's in the garage. In these cases it may make more sense to install an HPWC and have high capacity on-board chargers to conveniently share the connector rather than multiple dedicated NEMA 14-50 outlets.

Paraphrasing Elon, its good to have options. Having high capacity on-board chargers is a prudent option to reduce wait times at the increasing numbers of destination chargers that are being built when inevitably Supercharger congestion becomes more prevalent.

Larry

Reactions: Cowby
You can make the decision later, since it is the same price whether you configure the car with it, or add it later. I think, it is just a software upgrade.
Yes, you can defer the decision. However, you are incorrect. It costs $1,500 for the high capacity charger at the factory, and it will cost $1,900 to do it as a retrofit at a service center.

High Capacity Charger.jpg

It is definitely not a software upgrade. It is entirely a hardware upgrade.

Another consideration is that just as Superchargers will be come more congested with the advent of the Model 3, so will Service Centers. Some of my membership are already complaining about wait times. In the future service center time will be at a premium and I seriously doubt that the price to retrofit a charger won't go up.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Rocky_H
I believe that old Model X's were 48AMP chargers that required hardware to upgrade to 72.

I am pretty sure my MX delivered in December 2016 has 72AMP hardware onboard that can be software upgraded from 48 to 72.

I believe that old Model X's were 48AMP chargers that required hardware to upgrade to 72.

I am pretty sure my MX delivered in December 2016 has 72AMP hardware onboard that can be software upgraded from 48 to 72.
Tesla has a standard on-board charger with a capacity of 48 amps. To upgrade to a high capacity charger requires physically switching it out to a new high capacity charger with a capacity of 72 amp.

You are probably confusing this with the process whereby battery packs are upgraded from 60 kWh.

Larry

Tesla has a standard on-board charger with a capacity of 48 amps. To upgrade to a high capacity charger requires physically switching it out to a new high capacity charger with a capacity of 72 amp.

You are probably confusing this with the process whereby battery packs are upgraded from 60 kWh.

Larry
No, soon after the refresh the 48A chargers could be updated to 72A with just a firmware change. Then it was a separate part. That's why there were arguments here early on about whether or not 48A chargers could be upgraded after purchase-- some could and some couldn't.