Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amps through a 50 amp NEMA 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please take a look at Tesla's shop... 14-50 is available right now for $45 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Apparently you really don't know what we're talking about and gave me a mistaken disagree because of that. That is an adapter for the mobile charging cable, also known as the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). That has nothing to do with this.
My wall charger came with a 14-50 plug on it from the factory.
This topic is about a product Tesla sold for a very short time that is a WALL connector that mounts on the wall, but it came with a 14-50 cord attached for plugging into an outlet.

I had the wall charger with the 14-50 plug installed. Even with a 40A max set (which I believe was the limit for the device) it eventually started giving overheat warnings and dumbed down to 15A, the cord from the plug was hot to the touch. I even replaced the socket, using an expensive Hubell 9450 instead of the el cheapo Home Depot plug, same problem. Eventually Tesla replaced it under warranty, I now have a Gen 2 wall charger. (They don't make the one with the plug any more - presumably because of these sort of problems, I've seen posts suggesting this was not an unknown problem)

I installed the Gen2 with a 4' GE power cord and NEMA 14-50 plug, and this cord (and plug, and socket) stays cold to the touch under 40A load. But I made sure it was a 50-A rated power cord. (6Ga for the red and black, 8Ga for the ground, and for the neutral which is capped off not connected)

Also, make sure all connections are firmly screwed down...

the mobile connector, as I understand, is limited to 32A no matter what adapter.

I had the wall charger with the 14-50 plug installed. Even with a 40A max set (which I believe was the limit for the device) it eventually started giving overheat warnings and dumbed down to 15A, the cord from the plug was hot to the touch. I even replaced the socket, using an expensive Hubell 9450 instead of the el cheapo Home Depot plug, same problem. Eventually Tesla replaced it under warranty, I now have a Gen 2 wall charger. (They don't make the one with the plug any more - presumably because of these sort of problems, I've seen posts suggesting this was not an unknown problem)

I installed the Gen2 with a 4' GE power cord and NEMA 14-50 plug, and this cord (and plug, and socket) stays cold to the touch under 40A load. But I made sure it was a 50-A rated power cord. (6Ga for the red and black, 8Ga for the ground, and for the neutral which is capped off not connected)

Also, make sure all connections are firmly screwed down...

the mobile connector, as I understand, is limited to 32A no matter what adapter.
IIRC, the mobile connector with interchangeable ends is limited to 32A. The mobile connector with a fixed NEMA 14-50 end is limited to 40A.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Correct me if im wrong, but the weakest link here is the 14-50 outlet. you do not need it for the wall connector, right? the wall connector will be able to be wired to the 60A circuit with #6 wired and it will correct and in code, right? the wall connector then can be configure to 48A max.
You are basically correct with all of this, except with a sense of hesitancy that doesn't need to be there. Go ahead and say it stronger:
The standard wall connectors are supposed to be a hard wired device that is not supposed to have a plug-in cord.

I never said my charger was a Tesla brand wall charger. Just that my level 2 charger came with a plug and therefore having a plug doesn't make it against code automatically.

I've got a Clipper Creek 240V / 32A level 2 charger with a J1772 to Tesla Adapter on the end. I got it for free so installed that so I can keep the mobile charger in the car. Overall it's working pretty well for me. Nice thing about having a plug is that if I ever had an issue with the Clipper Creek charger I can swap in the mobile charger with the NEMA 14-50 plug (which I also have) as a backup. That's why I asked them to wire it that way.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Apparently you really don't know what we're talking about and gave me a mistaken disagree because of that. That is an adapter for the mobile charging cable, also known as the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC). That has nothing to do with this.

This topic is about a product Tesla sold for a very short time that is a WALL connector that mounts on the wall, but it came with a 14-50 cord attached for plugging into an outlet.

This Wall Connector is limited to 40A anyway, as its cord isn't as thick as a regular Wall Connector.

Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

I never said my charger was a Tesla brand wall charger. Just that my level 2 charger came with a plug and therefore having a plug doesn't make it against code automatically.

I've got a Clipper Creek 240V / 32A level 2 charger with a J1772 to Tesla Adapter on the end.
Oh, OK. I made a mistake too then, in making a subconscious assumption as I was reading. When you said wall charger, I thought a Tesla one. I shouldn't have assumed. Sorry about that.

Oh, OK. I made a mistake too then, in making a subconscious assumption as I was reading. When you said wall charger, I thought a Tesla one. I shouldn't have assumed. Sorry about that.

Hey it's a Tesla forum, it's a valid assumption. :) Interesting story, my mom won this charger from her power company in some kind of contest. She has a Honda Clarity, so thought about installing it, but she does fine with just 120V charging overnight, so never did. Gave it to me for free. Works pretty well with the adapter.

All this Is interesting to me. My wall charger came with instructions as to how to wire various ways. I wanted the option to use my motile connector, so my electrician wired with a 14- 50. He used an industrial grade breaker, receptacle and plug all rated for continuous operation. Not the Home Depot junk only rated for dryers and ranges. Much more expensive. City had no problem and everything is cool after 5-6 hours of charging.