Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

483 headlight project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

483 had some headlight issues... the usual stuff, like condensation and peeling clear shield. Since the headlights had to be pulled apart, I asked the headlight crew (XtremeHID in San Jose) if they could do something interesting. I thought the result was pretty cool and wanted to share it. Enjoy!

9C985AE1-AB07-4744-B213-9652FFED7FE2.jpeg
498B94B9-6CB8-4778-A2A0-1C3581D090F6.jpeg
D584CA37-00DE-43CC-BCBE-131FEB1B7C6C.jpeg
7DC2855E-3FA5-47F0-B912-AC7B8734EAD0.jpeg

oh wow that is so cool!! I'm about to do the same thing, could you show a picture what the car looks like in front with the car off? do the white halos stand out in white? I'm thinking of putting black or charcoal diffusers on them to blend in with the housing.

When you said you had issues did you run into any error codes with the car or on the vdm?

this is also a xenon HID upgrade; while he went inside they upgraded the halogen (the most outer light) to xenon or HID; the rings are halos which are programmed to a pac board or controller which is then programmed by an app on your cell phone and can control different colors and or effects.

The issue is they are white; so head on you would be looking at 3 white rings when the car is off; this is where we are applying the smoked diffusers so blends with the internal housing.

-

screen_shot_2016-07-15_at_11.00.45_am.png

Last edited:
Thanks.
So I can put three of those smoked diffuser halos in my 2.5 roadster? Is this difficult to do?
I do not want to update the headlights.
On the website of lightning trendz I do not see a Roadster kit?
Where can I get one?

Reactions: jason.tv
lol; there is no roadster kit. you have to find a headlight guy that does this kind of work in your area. The Roadster does not have a good road light to begin with so it does make sense to upgrade to HID while your person is inside the housing. This is pretty much the only light you need to replace. The middle acts as as your original high beam along with the most outer light you will be replacing to HID also functions as high beam when enabled so middle and futher most light will bind together for high beams. This is badass; I don't see why you wouldn't want this - That's how Josh has setup in the pictures above.

After we are done with this you can see exactly what we did to achieve this because we already received a headlight on ebay and got the exact dimensions of the rings.

I think josh-io is one of the first to pull this off but what we are doing is going to take off the Gel off the white diffuser and replace with the smoked diffuser; again just await to see how we do this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: drewski and GJVR
Most of the cheap halo kits are so dim when installed you wouldn't want a smoked lens. They look bright closeup but you can hardly see them when the car comes down the road. They also have different ways of measuring the size (ID,OD,centerline) so make sure you get the right size.

• Informative
Reactions: GJVR