Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#483 meets a Silverado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sad, but true. I was driving down Charleston Rd near the Googleplex when a Chevy Silverado merged into my lane without seeing me. He damaged the left side of #483, and pushed her into a parked car, which damaged the right side also.

The happy ending is that #483 will be totally repaired! The CF body panels and front bumper took all the damage. Chilton quoted nearly $17,000 for repairs, but she's coming back like new in 3 weeks.
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg

Here she is with #117 before the accident.

IMG_0441.jpg

If anyone has advice on what to expect post-repair, I'm all ears!

Ohh...that hurts to see first thing in the morning!

I hate driving beside (or coming up upon) something bigger than me, that I'm sure can't see me. Of course, in a Roadster, that's just-about everything else on the road!

Glad to hear that it's going to be repaired. We don't want one less Roadster on the roads.

Also good to hear that replacement panels are still available. I'd heard a few comments (on here) that Tesla is running out of some of them...and they're obviously not making new ones.

Ohh...that hurts to see first thing in the morning!

I hate driving beside (or coming up upon) something bigger than me, that I'm sure can't see me. Of course, in a Roadster, that's just-about everything else on the road!

Glad to hear that it's going to be repaired. We don't want one less Roadster on the roads.

Also good to hear that replacement panels are still available. I'd heard a few comments (on here) that Tesla is running out of some of them...and they're obviously not making new ones.

Sorry to hear this Josh...glad to hear both you and #483 will be ok!

Sucks the cabin got damaged. Are they just going to repair / patch that damage or are they getting a new cabin for you?

From growing up as a motorcycle rider most of my life (since I was 13) my driving style is defensive. Since the Roadster is small and low I use the same defensive tactics. Never say beside some car for that they'll take you out even if they do see you, while passing cars always look at their front wheel, you'll see the front wheel turning in before the car does.... knowing that keep an eye on every mirror you have to ensure where your open spots are to escape in case an emergency move is needed. This includes heavy braking, hard acceleration, and turning. I also use my horn when passing people that I see are not paying attention. Some cues are people with sun visors down but there's no sun in their direction, people holding/on phones, people talking to one another and not paying attention, and people who make lane changes without using their turn signal. I also kick on my high beams during the day if I see a driver who matches some or all of the above so that they're more alerted knowing I'm there. Lastly, I tap my brake pedal like morse code (--- --- ---) to flash the driver behind me if I feel they're driving too close on the road or at a red light where my safety cushion is violated. If someone hits them, they're going to hit you! Lastly STAY AWAY from any SUVs, minivans, BMWs, Mercedes, as well as any type, for or shape of a Prius. They don't have a single care in the world about you and their driving abilities are absolutely horrible from my visual experience. And these are the usual cars camping out in the fast lane driving slow.

Sucks the cabin got damaged. Are they just going to repair / patch that damage or are they getting a new cabin for you?

From growing up as a motorcycle rider most of my life (since I was 13) my driving style is defensive. Since the Roadster is small and low I use the same defensive tactics. Never say beside some car for that they'll take you out even if they do see you, while passing cars always look at their front wheel, you'll see the front wheel turning in before the car does.... knowing that keep an eye on every mirror you have to ensure where your open spots are to escape in case an emergency move is needed. This includes heavy braking, hard acceleration, and turning. I also use my horn when passing people that I see are not paying attention. Some cues are people with sun visors down but there's no sun in their direction, people holding/on phones, people talking to one another and not paying attention, and people who make lane changes without using their turn signal. I also kick on my high beams during the day if I see a driver who matches some or all of the above so that they're more alerted knowing I'm there. Lastly, I tap my brake pedal like morse code (--- --- ---) to flash the driver behind me if I feel they're driving too close on the road or at a red light where my safety cushion is violated. If someone hits them, they're going to hit you! Lastly STAY AWAY from any SUVs, minivans, BMWs, Mercedes, as well as any type, for or shape of a Prius. They don't have a single care in the world about you and their driving abilities are absolutely horrible from my visual experience. And these are the usual cars camping out in the fast lane driving slow.

As someone who also grew up on motorcycles I agree with the vast majority of your comments and advice, except the part about the Prius, since we have one of those also o_O

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Habious—Chilton said that body panels are still available, but they can take months to get. They said that spare panels are "lying around the factory."

Wiztecy, very true. I am a very defensive and cautious driver in the Roadster. I also have RLS ExtendView mirrors on both cars. But in this case, I was unlucky. :(

But in this case, I was unlucky. :(

...and there's no way anyone can prepare and avoid that either. Very Happy she'll be back on the road with minimal repair! So many ways it could have been worse I'm sure.

You're in good hands with Chiltons, we're fortunate to have them located close by since they absolutely know the Roadster from a repair expertise point of view.

Gotta back up the comment about the Prius -- I had one of those as a loaner for a day and couldn't see a dang thing around me. Couldn't wait to get back in the Model S.

So true about the poor visibility on those things. I almost got ran down in a crosswalk by a lady driving a Prius. I was in the crosswalk and began crossing the street, this lady pulled up to the crosswalk, I could tell she was not even looking at me. As soon as I was by her front right bumper she all of a sudden accelerated. I yelled "What the Hey!?", waving my hands to also capture her attention. Her window was down so she heard me. She stopped and said, "I'm so sorry, I can't see a thing with this big thing right here." and she was pointing to the front windshield side piller. I then realized and could see how overly huge that thing was and how it could totally block the driver's visibilty from seeing a person crossing to the side of them.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Habious—Chilton said that body panels are still available, but they can take months to get. They said that spare panels are "lying around the factory."

Wiztecy, very true. I am a very defensive and cautious driver in the Roadster. I also have RLS ExtendView mirrors on both cars. But in this case, I was unlucky. :(
With all the processes the insurance company dragged me through, it took right at two months from the date of my accident for the body panels to arrive at the body shop. I'm told a door seal is still backordered until next week (three months). Be sure you inspect those carbon fiber door sills. Mine aren't carbon fiber, but one was damaged in my accident.

Having been to the factory, finding Roadster parts is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The Model S and X parts are neatly organized. Not the Roadster parts. The factory itself is massive - 10 football fields in size. Roadster parts aren't getting much love or attention in there.

Having been to the factory, finding Roadster parts is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The Model S and X parts are neatly organized. Not the Roadster parts. The factory itself is massive - 10 football fields in size. Roadster parts aren't getting much love or attention in there.

Tesla Motors has a parts distribution center located at 38503 Cherry St, Newark, CA 94560. I think that's where Roadster parts are probably being stored.

Tesla Distribution Center - Newark, California - Automotive Parts & Accessories | Facebook