Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4860 In The Model S Plaid+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the verdict? Does the Plaid+ have 4860s? I almost hope it does not, we could see a 700 mile range S.

I’m curious to find out how the new S/X Supercharge as well.....no that it really matters when you have 520 miles of range.

Nope. Because there is no such thing. :rolleyes:

I do, however, think that the Plaid+ will be using 4680 cells.
Thanks for catching that. If correct, the big story to me is that the 4680 is production ready.

I don’t follow Tesla news like I used to, but I thought the 4680 was a ways off and required the vehicles to be massively reworked to accommodate the structural pack.

Wouldn’t be unlikely for some version of the S/X to use 18650 and some to use 4680?

I do, however, think that the Plaid+ will be using 4680 cells.
I agree. It seems like that is the only way Tesla could claim such a large range increase, and it explains why the Plaid + won’t be available until late 2021, since the “regular” Plaid model is shown as being available in March just like the Long Range version.

Reactions: Grendal
Wouldn’t be unlikely for some version of the S/X to use 18650 and some to use 4680?

That’s exactly what Tesla is doing though.

LR and Plaid are still using 18650 cells, albeit updated ones with the latest tech.
Plaid+ will have 4680 cells, which aren’t ready to produce reliably at scale yet.

Even after Paid+ launches, slower trims will continue to use 18650 for years.

Source: Elon’s comments during today’s earnings call.

Last edited:

LR and Plaid are still using 18650 cells, albeit updated ones with the latest tech.
Plaid+ will have 4680 cells, which aren’t ready to produce reliably at scale yet.

So the assembly line will have two different chassis assemblies, one for 18650 and one for the 4680’s??? The 4680 is supposed to have the structural support system. Very different setup. I propose when the plaid+ comes out the whole line switches over to the new battery pack, the non-plaid+ models will just have fewer 4680 cells

Reactions: CSFTN
So the assembly line will have two different chassis assemblies, one for 18650 and one for the 4680’s??? The 4680 is supposed to have the structural support system. Very different setup. I propose when the plaid+ comes out the whole line switches over to the new battery pack, the non-plaid+ models will just have fewer 4680 cells

Or they already know from pre-orders that there aren't going to be that many Plaid+ orders, so they are going to be hand-built on a separate line and then inserted into the normal general assembly line. (And that is part of why it costs so much more.) Or they built the new body line to handle both chassis variants.

Reactions: rickyjb

Does anyone think we’ll be able to or have the option to buy an upgraded 18650 battery pack for existing Model S’s to get the improved range with the latest tech? I know the 4680 pack will be a no-go because of the different structural design, but if they are still using 18650 cells in the normal Plaid, perhaps the pack would fit in an older 100D or P100D? These cars will be 5 years old by now, so maybe someone with enough degradation would want to buy a new battery pack and being able to get the latest pack would be nice if you get the range benefits. What do you guys think?

Reactions: rickyjb
Electrek is saying that the refresh S/X are all still using 18650s, albeit the latest 18650 cells, with improved thermal management. Tesla says that the 4680 gets 16% more range, although I am not sure compared to what. Anyway, 520 + 16% = 603.

You can start to see how the crazy quoted specs for Semi, Cyber and Roadster could be real-world with a double-stack of 4680.

Reactions: El joe
Electrek is saying that the refresh S/X are all still using 18650s, albeit the latest 18650 cells, with improved thermal management. Tesla says that the 4680 gets 16% more range, although I am not sure compared to what. Anyway, 520 + 16% = 603.

You can start to see how the crazy quoted specs for Semi, Cyber and Roadster could be real-world with a double-stack of 4680.
Can’t wait. Definitely feels like my CT reservation might actually amount to something. Was getting a bit dismayed seeing how long the Roadster and Semi have taken.

Listening to Elon in the earnings call, he said the refreshed MS will be using 18650's

Did not say plaid plus would be different.

Perhaps he mispoke, but how would you integrate the 4680's into the same body for only 20k more?

Listening to Elon in the earnings call, he said the refreshed MS will be using 18650's

Did not say plaid plus would be different.

Perhaps he mispoke, but how would you integrate the 4680's into the same body for only 20k more?

He was referring to the refreshed models currently in production and about to ship.

During Battery Day last September, Elon clearly showed the Plaid (now Plaid+) as a demonstration of the power of the new 4680 cells.

Why else would the Plaid+ not ship until “late 2021” (assume 2022)?

He was referring to the refreshed models currently in production and about to ship.

During Battery Day last September, Elon clearly showed the Plaid (now Plaid+) as a demonstration of the power of the new 4680 cells.

Why else would the Plaid+ not ship until “late 2021” (assume 2022)?

There will be another call soon on the MS, perhaps he will make that clear.

Remember why the S and X did not get the 2170s,because it would require an EXPENSIVE body change which means and EXPENSIVE recertification. Why do you think Tesla is still using the present battery size?

And Elon says alot of things.

Yes, but on a earnings call I expect more accurate statements.

My Sept plaid order is still in. If it gets delayed, and can step down to a plaid or CT...

Yes, but on a earnings call I expect more accurate statements.

What's ambiguous here? Refreshed Model S still uses 18650 cells:

Alex Potter -- Piper Sandler -- Analyst
Great. Thanks. I was wondering, you mentioned how you'd like to increase your purchases of cells from suppliers. Does this require them to also have the capability to build structural 4680 cells of the sort that you're putting in these newer iterations of vehicles?

Elon Musk -- Founder and Chief Executive Officer
No, it does not. Although, we are talking with them about making the 4680 form factor, but they -- it is not required. For example, the new S currently uses the 18650 form factor. So they're just a more advanced cell, and we think we'll continue to use that form factor for at least a few years. But we will, over time, be retiring the form factors and try to move to a consistent form factor.

Source: Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool