Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48A charger upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model S, top of the line with Ludicrous mode. The only problem is that it only charges at 48A and my prior model S charged at 80A. Is there a way to upgrade this? It's a major bummer to be charging at nearly half the rate. Why would Tesla downgrade the charging on their new models? You'd think they'd at least have the 72A on a $130k car. WTH Tesla!?

Seriously? No? No S dual charger upgrade after purchase? Ever??

-Signed: an X owner who paid extra for Dual Chargers on my X before they were std equipment... they just about let me completely forget I’m driving electric.
Can’t believe they would deny the S fleet this luxury.
-TechVP

And when did the difference in charging speeds make a difference for you? Aside from just having to be the biggest at everything.

What kind of comment is that? If a person wants to spend their money on something who are you to judge them? Charging speed makes a huge difference to me. My round trip commute to work is over 200 miles. There are times when I get home that I have to return and I don't have enough charge. The faster charging speed means the difference of driving my Tesla or another vehicle which I don't want to do. Why would you think faster charging wouldn't be impotent to someone, especially when you don't know anything about them. All I had was a simple question because my prior Tesla charged at 80A and I was wondering if it could be upgraded.

Thank you everybody for your help.

What kind of comment is that? If a person wants to spend their money on something who are you to judge them? Charging speed makes a huge difference to me. My round trip commute to work is over 200 miles. There are times when I get home that I have to return and I don't have enough charge. The faster charging speed means the difference of driving my Tesla or another vehicle which I don't want to do. Why would you think faster charging wouldn't be impotent to someone, especially when you don't know anything about them. All I had was a simple question because my prior Tesla charged at 80A and I was wondering if it could be upgraded.

Thank you everybody for your help.
Hmmm, did you over-react to ewoo? I took it to be a simple question with no offense (maybe just to be humorous), but maybe I read it wrong. Aside, I agree with your point that for some people it is a big deal and for others it isn't. It's not a big deal to me as I can get a full charge overnight on 48 amps, though I don't have to drive 200 miles every day. That's a big commute, and would be a bummer.

edit: I am also curious. When did this make a difference? New car? new commute?

Reactions: P85_DA
Maybe I over-reacted but I read it as being pretty obnoxious - not answering or contributing to the question at all, rather just a judgemental remark. If it wasn't intended that way I apologize.

Same commute. I had a first gen Model S. Put 175,000 miles on it and it was still running well. Just figured it would need to be upgraded soon and when I saw the free ludicrous upgrade, I pulled the trigger. I was totally bummed though never expecting the charge rate would be almost half of what I was getting for the past 4 years.

Maybe I over-reacted but I read it as being pretty obnoxious - not answering or contributing to the question at all, rather just a judgemental remark. If it wasn't intended that way I apologize.

Same commute. I had a first gen Model S. Put 175,000 miles on it and it was still running well. Just figured it would need to be upgraded soon and when I saw the free ludicrous upgrade, I pulled the trigger. I was totally bummed though never expecting the charge rate would be almost half of what I was getting for the past 4 years.
Ah, I see. On one of my cars, I had to pay extra for that 72 amp capability. On another note: I guess that option went away for the MX now, or does it still exist?

Both my S had the dual 40s and now I have the 72 on X ..was surprised at how often I did use the full power on turnaround trips .. at one point the 48s were software limited ...now they are just 48s and no “off menu” option anymore for 72

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Why do you think Tesla would even do that? Unless there's an issue with battery health and longevity, it seems like a big mistake. It's like buying the newest, upgraded iPhone that now takes twice as long to charge. Poor markeing decision IMO. Oh well. Thanks again for the help.

Im thinking cost cutting or standardization of parts ..I’m sure they had some history of peoples charging habits as not that many folks have ability to do max amounts

80A @ 240V is 19,200W
At 300wh/mi that's 64 miles of charge per hour. To make your 200 mile round trip you need 200/64= 3hrs 7min

Charging at 48A you'll need 200/38.4= 5hrs 12min

But there is a Supercharger about 10 miles from you to the south and several destination chargers that may be useful....

Reactions: KJD
I have an older S with twin chargers and I have the power in my garage to use it. It comes in handy for me on the weekends when I have just come back from a long trip and want to go out an hour or two later in the evening. I don't have another car and stopping at a super charger is silly if the car can charge while I rest and get cleaned up for my evening out.

The other reason I invested in the capacity both in the car and in the house is that I have Comed's Residential Real Time Rate which varies the price every hour based on the average of the 12 5 minute prices during that hour. Charging faster allows me to "snipe" the best rates in the very early hours of the morning. That window is usually 4 or less hours long so charging faster helps me capture the best rates on almost all of my car's charging needs.

I understand not many people use the higher rate charging, but I consider it a requirement. I invest in charging in places I go frequently including paying for and installing the equipment. This helps more people than just myself. Because I am putting it in place I am specing higher power so I only need to be there a couple of hours to get back home with no stops. As SuperCharging is going to continue to get more expensive it makes sense to utilize home and destination charging as much as possible. Faster AC based charging really increases how useful those AC based chargers are to me, and as result how convenient it is to drive electric.

I love that SuperChargers exist and I certainly use them, but for trips I make routinely I work very hard to avoid using them as they can be congested or offline. If you pay to install charging at your non-EV friend's house you not only make it easier to visit there, you make them more likely to buy an EV as they already have charging.

The Model 3 only charging at 48 amps isn't quite as bad as it is also noticeably more efficient, but a Model S / X with only 48 amps seems like a pretty big downgrade for my purposes.

Besides, how many hours do you really want to spend with your mother-in-law? 2 hours or 3.5?

In regards to why someone would ever need 72A charging... #1 is medical needs. In my case I my Dad had a sudden serious medical issue that required several round trips to the Dr. from a rural home. You do anything for family. Fast home charging allowed the MX to be more than a novelty, it was the right car for the job. To that I add, I almost forget its electric. For the price range of these cars, it better do something terrific, and I count fast charging in this category. As recent as the prior week, we have a Oncology Dr. friend that intentionally comes to my house to charge when her needs are urgent, for similar medically required frequent long distance travel.
#2 is business. Several times things just come up, and our line of work requires us to be places at convenient times to clients.
Further, when Tesla was awarding HPWC's for referral credits, it was one of their best moves. Help take electricity load off the SuperCharger network. The HPWC I earned helped me put in a 2nd HPWC. So that I can accommodate situations where our Dr. friend needs help.
#3 is convenience, certainly. I find it an unfortunate call that M3 owners also don't have this option. Where high mileage users could take load off of the SC network, with faster home charging.
To those who seriously would benefit, I highly recommend installing the infrastructure at home to support the 72A+ charging rate. Just can't fathom why high home charging options were dropped from the S line -- which is advertised as the flagship vehicle.
-TechVP

I also find it interesting that the option was removed. I personally don't have a need (and my house wouldn't come close to supporting), but I'm sure some people do.

Weight? Reliability (issues with the dual) or pushing the 72 too high? Cost?

Wonder what it would cost to have a home Chademo?

Reactions: TechVP
I love having 80 amp charge capability. There are a number of times that we drain the battery in our S visiting clients and running errands during the day and we want to recharge at dinner time to take a trip down to Austin for the weekend. Charging at 80 amps while we prepare the house, have dinner, and pack allows us to make it to Austin later that evening with only a very brief charging stop in Italy or Waco. Being limited to 48 amps impedes our ability for this sort of fast turnaround.

Reactions: TechVP