Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4G upgrade in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done this here? Is it possible? A lot of people have done it in the US, apparently to great effect, and it has been available since 2016. I have two 2017 cars and they’re both 3G only. Makes me wonder if Tesla just don’t offer it here...

I’d pay the $500 to upgrade if I could (maybe they’d throw it in if I’m dropping $2500 on an MCU2 :). My hope would be it might make TuneIn usable, Spotify more reliable.

My hope would be it might make TuneIn usable, Spotify more reliable.

This caught my eye... I use TuneIn for other purposes (Sonos system at home) and for a few mornings this week it failed to connect. It was fine again this morning. If this is what has prompted the question then it is a TuneIn issue, not a 3G vs 4G thing. My Sonos unit is connected via wired ethernet on a 50Mbit fibre connection, so it's not a connection issue :)

Nissan only just (~1 year ago) replaced the 2G units in the Leaf with a 3G unit, so 3G is going to be around for some time yet.

The other thing to consider is that Tesla may change to using Starlink for all their vehicles.. once the network is up and going, that is :) Super fast Internet via SpaceX Satellites / Starlink

This caught my eye... I use TuneIn for other purposes (Sonos system at home) and for a few mornings this week it failed to connect. It was fine again this morning. If this is what has prompted the question then it is a TuneIn issue, not a 3G vs 4G thing. My Sonos unit is connected via wired ethernet on a 50Mbit fibre connection, so it's not a connection issue :)

Nissan only just (~1 year ago) replaced the 2G units in the Leaf with a 3G unit, so 3G is going to be around for some time yet.

The other thing to consider is that Tesla may change to using Starlink for all their vehicles.. once the network is up and going, that is :) Super fast Internet via SpaceX Satellites / Starlink

Hi Chuq,

Although people have discussed this I don’t believe there is a plan to put Starlink into cars. My understanding is the frequency does not pass through basically anything but air, so it would not work in any garage or high rise CBD. It is more for houses (roof antenna) or back haul for mobile/wifi towers or ships/boats/planes. The antenna is also supposed to be about the size of a pizza box so not to practice for cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Shock-On-T
It’s hard to believe Tesla is saving any money by keeping us on the 3G network. Feels to me more like they just haven’t got around to updating their deal with TLS. Any savings would have to be a drop in the ocean in scheme of Telstra’s cash burn.