TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

4th annual ReFuel: Sun 7/1/12 @ Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'EVents' started by smorgasbord, May 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The year I went, I just showed up. Think I paid 10 bucks at the gate.

2. slcasner

slcasner Member

Just register online at refuelraces.com, but I think this year is the first time all the available slots have been filled since jaanton mentioned being waitlisted. The best part is that the SpeedVentures guys provide this track opportunity to us for free, whereas the noisy stinky cars have to pay something like $250 for the same access. We only have to pay the $10 fee to enter the track site. Transponder rental for lap timing is optional at $20, and the required helmets are available for $30 if you don't already have one.

On a separate topic, Dave Lach of SpeedVentures told me in email this evening that they will have a limited number of removable vinyl car number boards available at the event, probably without charge. He says there should be enough for the drivers who will want them.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

10 bucks at the gate got your car in regardless if spectator or participant.
    Spectators didn't need to register or buy tickets ahead of time.
    I don't think there is any chance of spectator spots selling out as the track is huge and the event modest.
    slcasner is talking about participant slots... Those are the ones that are "all booked" in terms of vehicles that get to drive on the track.
    Also, note, there was mandatory driver orientation early in the morning, so those going to drive their cars need to make sure to arrive early enough.

4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

That's so cool. I've been fretting trying to find a local place to pick up some vinyl numbers.

While I'm posting - for those that have run before - what's the consensus on tops? I'm not out to prove I'm the fastest - I mostly just want to drive fast legally on a race track. I'm thinking I'll enjoy the experience more with no top, even if that scrubs 5MPH and adds seconds to my speed.

Yes, I know we need helmets, and since I also ride motorcycles, I've got a nice Schuberth to use.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Don't forget that a helmet adds head height. If your hair touches the top without a helmet...

6. smorgasbord

Using OVMS Social Group "REFUEL"

If you're running at Laguna Seca on Sunday and have OVMS, why not add the Social Group REFUEL? That way people can watch us race virtually, either via the OVMS app, or by going to maps.google.com and entering the following into the search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=REFUEL

I'll also be running under the REFUEL42 Social Group, in case you want to see how I'm doing (I'm car #42). I'll also have GPS streaming on, so you should get reasonable updates.

7. smorgasbord

Adjustable Suspension Settings?

It just occurred to me that I might want to tweak my suspension settings for the track. Right now I'm dead center on shocks and on sway bars. I probably don't want to have new sway bar setting just before taking it on the track, but I probably would do well to firm up my shocks, right? Or, do you suggest changing the sway bar settings as well?

What have people done in the past, and how did it work out?

8. slcasner

slcasner Member

Bill Arnett has always run with no top, while I've had the soft top on. Our times are pretty close -- driver skill level will make more of a difference than the choice of top. Either way, the driver's side window has to be down because you need to make arm signals to the other drivers.

9. slcasner

slcasner Member

I advise all participants to charge in Range mode before leaving home to bring as many kWh with you to the track as you can. There will be competition for charging spigots.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

My plans have got trashed so instead of Laguna Seca, I will be at Goodwood instead.

Take plenty of photos please :)

11. slcasner

slcasner Member

Those two are not proximate!?!

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yesterday at the LA drive EVent we were chatting with an employee and I brought up that a Model S might beat a Roadster around Laguna. He asked if it wouldn't be cool if there was a Model S at Refuel? He was a terrible liar.

Five cars. So will the model S drivers beat the Roadsters?

[​IMG]

My bet is on Elon.

14. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Just to be very very clear... that picture is from ReFuel and that is a red Model S performance on the right, next to the red Roadster?

15. domenick

domenick Nerd

#35 domenick, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    All signs point to <s>yes</s> don't know. And, if vfx's hint is correct, that is <s>Elon's</s> black S to the left of the Roadster.

16. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Any late night updates to this? I saw a couple BMW ActiveE in there, didn't see any Model S entered.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I was there. A good chunk of Tesla's R&D team was there with a bunch of old durability cars (betas and such).
    This wasn't really a company event, more like some employees doing their own thing with some borrowed cars for fun.
    I was cool seeing the Model S', Roadsters, LEAFs, CODAs, etc all mixing it up out on the track.

I will upload some pix in a bit.

18. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

If you could post or point us to lap times that would be cool.

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Waiting in the grid to go out on the track:
    pic1.jpg
    LEAF feeding frenzy at the mobile CHAdeMO:
    pic2.jpg

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#40 TEG, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Roadster row:
    pic5.jpg
    S row (with a couple more around the corner):
    pic6.jpg

A J1772 to Model S adapter cable!
    pic3.jpg
    A Roadster MC240 to Model S adapter cable buried in spaghetti:
    pic4.jpg
    (Hey shouldn't that say TMI instead of TMC ? :wink: )