TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

4th annual ReFuel: Sun 7/1/12 @ Laguna Seca

Discussion in 'EVents' started by smorgasbord, May 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

TEG's observations are spot on. That Leaf was fast through the course because Assemi apparently knows what he's doing. Putzes like me were within seconds of him only because the Roadster's acceleration coming out of turns makes up for a lot of mistakes.

BTW, if you haven't tried it, stomping the accelerator and holding it down until it's time to mash the brakes for the next turn is a blast.

2. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

#82 TonyWilliams, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    I ended up 18th, in front of a Roadster and 3 BMW's . My LEAF is new, serial # 20782. It had 5 miles on it at the end of May 2012, and slightly over a month later, has over 4000 miles. The car is entirely stock, including crappy Low Rolling Resistant tires and 36 psi. My best time was 2:13, with a best of 2:14 in the practice sessions.

My car should be returning to my house today, after its BC2BC trip, but I'm in an Airbus going over the pond. I invite everybody to Bc2BC-2013, where EV's will rally from Canada to Mexico (see associated thread).

Next year I plan to break 2 minutes in the LEAF, but there's a lot to do before then. Also, we should have more quick charge power for a larger LEAF (or other DC compatible cars) contingent. If Tesla would be so kind to release their supercharger protocol, I'd be happy to power S and X cars (if they don't overheat :)

We quick charged the car (about 35kW max) three or four times, and not a single LEAF had an overheating problem. Looking forward to next year!!!!! I had an absolute blast.

3. teslasuperfan

teslasuperfan Member

A little birdie told me none of the Model Ses are the Performance model. If it is true, the Performance S will surely break the 1:50 mark and perhaps into the mid or low 1:40s.
    Maybe have to wait till next year to find out

4. slcasner

slcasner Supporting Member

True, but that is because the Roadster spun out.

5. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

That would be very interesting indeed. Anyone know for sure?

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I was told most were the performance model...

7. teslasuperfan

teslasuperfan Member

Did you hear it directly from the Tesla guys? If you did, then I am wrong. I thought the Performance S is capable of breaking the 1:50 mark based on how hard it pulls from 40 to 100mph compared to the Roadster. And despite it's weight, I believe the Model S can corner as well as the Roadster and have a more neutral handling.

8. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm sad and happy then since the numbers are not too different for the Model S's. With the biggest delta being the driver perhaps?

If the difference from a normal to Performance is only a few seconds at Laguna Seca then maybe I don't need the Performance...

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If it is like Roadster vs Roadster Sport then the performance boost is primarily at low RPMs. The Roadster Sport is quicker off the line, and shaves .2 sec off of 0-60, but beyond 60MPH there really isn't much difference. Since the track doesn't involve stop and go, rather continuous driving, the non-performance may not have much of a disadvantage. At a drag-strip or stoplight to stoplight is where the power boost makes itself noticed.
    I think the timed lap at the track starts with the car in motion crossing the start line. If you had to start your lap from 0MPH it could have been a more pronounced difference.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well I heard slightly different things from different Tesla people so I am not sure they all knew exactly what was there.
    I think some were predicting that at least one of them was going to get under 1:50, so some may have been slightly disappointed that they weren't able to break last years' Roadster record.

11. richkae

richkae VIN587

Not knowing anything about the abilities of the drivers, I would like to see a professional race driver take a Performance Model S around Laguna Seca.
    I am sure there are a few seconds difference between a pro and an occasional track day amateur.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Joe, the former Tesla employee / race driving instructor mentioned that he thought some of their staff were good race drivers, so he thought they would achieve good times.
    Not sure how much better times they could get with more seasoned, professional race drivers behind the wheel.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes the car matters, but the driver is more important than the car.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#94 TEG, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

15. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I am amazed to see how some LEAFs make quick work of an ActiveE.

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Amazing vids, thanks TEG. I'm grinning from ear to ear. I had a "whoa" moment when that Coda went past in the last one.

Dammit I still *need* to do the corkscrew.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Apparently the ActiveEs were prone to overheating and cutting power when pushed hard.
    I think they were at least on par with the LEAFs until they got into power limit mode, then the tables were turned.

18. smorgasbord

I think it's different. On Roadster 2.5, my Addendum says that HP of Sport and non-Sport is the same (288 HP), although the Sport reaches max HP sooner (4400 rpm vs 5000 rpm). Also, max Torque is different (295 ft-lbs vs 273 ft-lbs), but peaks earlier on the Sport (5100 rpm vs 5400 rpm).

For Model S, the Performance version puts out 416HP vs 362 for the 84kWh battery, and peaks a bit sooner (5000 rpm vs 6000 rpm). Torque on the Performance is also higher: 443 ft-lbs at 5100 rpm vs 325 ft-lbs at 5800 rpm.

So while obviously tuned for street legal speeds, I think the Performance model would do better at Laguna Seca. A 1.2 second 0-60 time is very significant, and has to carry over into the 35-80 MPH range on the track. At the very least, it'll be more forgiving of mistakes.

Edit: yes, you get a running start since you enter the track between turns 10 and 11, so you get the full straight from turn 11 to turn 1 to hit top speed when the lap starts (and ends).

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, that is probably right - performance difference between Roadster and Roadster Sport is less than the difference between standard Model S and performance version. On the other hand, the suspension differences between the two Roadsters might be more significant than what they do for Model S. (?)

20. smorgasbord

The non-Sport 2.5 Roadsters Tesla configured on its own were equipped with the adjustable suspension - same as the Sport models. I probably should have adjusted my suspension (and tire pressure) for the track.

Perhaps the biggest difference is that the Sport models came with Yoko 048s (a track tire) as standard equipment, whereas non-Sports got the street 08 tires.

BTW, I just read that the 048s can be rotated from left to right on the car - you just mount them inside out when you move them to the other side. This helps prolong tire life (YokohamaADVAN A048).