Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4th Generation Tesla - "Affordable for all"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that by the time gen 4 Tesla (affordable for all) hits the streets, we will see other BEVs from legacy carmakers hitting the streets as well. Possibly Ford?

My hope is (and I suspect) that they will adopt Tesla's supercharging capacity to make their cars viable alternatives vs. Tesla's. If this becomes the case, then Tesla can "rent" supercharging capacity to non-Tesla vehicles which would then subsidize Tesla gen 4 free supercharging.

Doubt other automakers will want to build out an alternative supercharging network. Instead rely on what is there (does Ford invest in gas stations?). Given Tesla's aggressive development of an extensive supercharging network, IMHO it will be the de facto network by the time gen 4 is available.

Found this one. Perhaps a bit too big to pass for a more affordable hatchback-type of car. Nonetheless, its austere styling has a somewhat Tesla-like quality to it.

Icona_Shanghai_Fuselage%20(6).jpg
20150518101533_4312569.jpg

Found this one. Perhaps a bit too big to pass for a more affordable hatchback-type of car. Nonetheless, its austere styling has a somewhat Tesla-like quality to it.

That has absolutely no Tesla-like quality. That is garish. Tesla cars are _very aerodynamic_, which means that the styling is _smooth_. rather than sharp. For any car, it'll look elegant, while a CUV/SUV would be likely to look a bit chubby because of extra height.

2) I think $35K is the lowest price point you ever see--Tesla positions itself as a premium brand--moving that far down-market will undermine their brand.

Look at the other premium brands, you might not have the smaller Mercedes, BMW, Audi cars in the US but we do have them in Europe. You can get an Audi A3 Sportback for 210 000 SEK in Sweden, this is around $18 000 if you remove the import duty and VAT.

Audi A3 Sportback:

2016-Audi-A3-TDI-Sportback-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

The four top selling cars in Europe are VW Polo, VW Golf, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, 760k cars/year. So there's a huge market for these type of cars.

I suspect that by the time gen 4 Tesla (affordable for all) hits the streets, we will see other BEVs from legacy carmakers hitting the streets as well. Possibly Ford?

My hope is (and I suspect) that they will adopt Tesla's supercharging capacity to make their cars viable alternatives vs. Tesla's. If this becomes the case, then Tesla can "rent" supercharging capacity to non-Tesla vehicles which would then subsidize Tesla gen 4 free supercharging.

Doubt other automakers will want to build out an alternative supercharging network. Instead rely on what is there (does Ford invest in gas stations?). Given Tesla's aggressive development of an extensive supercharging network, IMHO it will be the de facto network by the time gen 4 is available.

I suspect by the time the 4th gen car hits the streets, some of the established car makers will be out of business and many will be on the ropes. The ICE car makers pretend the public wants ICEs over EVs because they don't give the public attractive EV options and do everything they can not to sell them. Volkswagen is the only ICE maker making any preparations for a mass market BEV, but they don't expect to have it on them market until around 2025. That may be too little too late. Nobody else is doing anything about securing the batteries needed for a mass market BEV.

I have been thinking that if Tesla's business takes off with the Model 3 and they start making a profit while other auto makers hit the skids, they might merge with an ICE maker to get access to their factories all over the world. Just a hunch, but I would expect Ford as the most likely acquisition. I don't exactly know why, but my hunch is Tesla-Ford would be the best marriage of car companies. They are unlikely to merge with a European or Japanese brand because those governments probably wouldn't look favorably to an American take over. Fiat-Chrysler is so messed up they will likely be the first to fail. GM is too hide bound.

If Tesla could pick up a good sized auto maker on the cheap, they would suddenly have a much larger design staff, several design facilities, as well as many factories on just about every continent. They could set about redesigning the existing car line up to be BEVs which would cut down the design turn around a bit. The initial designs might have to be a bit of a compromise, but the next generation of those cars would be redesigned from the ground up as pure BEVs.

Just speculation on my part, but the fact that only one established car company is seriously looking at vastly expanding battery manufacturing is a bad sign for the industry.

Seems that the Master Plan Part 2 implies the abandon of this more affordable 4th generation project...

From Master Plan, Part Deux:
A lower cost vehicle than the Model 3 is unlikely to be necessary, because of the third part of the plan described below.
And the third part of the plan is...

I think what Elon is implying here is that anyone who can't afford a Model 3 is going to be a customer for Tesla/Uber robot taxis. Either that, or they WILL be able to afford a Model 3 because they'll be able to send it out as a robot taxi to earn extra income.

I have been thinking that if Tesla's business takes off with the Model 3 and they start making a profit while other auto makers hit the skids, they might merge with an ICE maker to get access to their factories all over the world.
As I understand you, you are talking about Tesla buying one other auto maker. I do not believe they will, but if it happens, then it will be one that is (almost) bankrupt. And I believe as you that the first to fall over is Chrysler-Fiat, so that's the one their getting :)

But I really rather think they will start some sort of franchise letting other automakers buy what they need to build GF's and production lines for BEV's. Remember "factory as a product" and "the machine to build the machine" :)

As I understand you, you are talking about Tesla buying one other auto maker. I do not believe they will, but if it happens, then it will be one that is (almost) bankrupt. And I believe as you that the first to fall over is Chrysler-Fiat, so that's the one their getting :)

But I really rather think they will start some sort of franchise letting other automakers buy what they need to build GF's and production lines for BEV's. Remember "factory as a product" and "the machine to build the machine" :)

I was thinking Chrysler was going to fail before Tesla was in a position to buy another car company. The CAFE standards alone threaten to bankrupt Chrysler, they aren't even adequately preparing for that and it's predictable. But they could end up buying Fiat-Chrysler. If it happens, it will be a car company on the ropes.

What I see with the machine that builds the machine thing is trying to encapsulate a rather complex idea. If you look at the production line as a machine with many smaller machines, it exists today. Elon is talking about going back and analyzing that system, find all the bottlenecks and apply basic Physics to it. The result is a reinvented production line that is as efficient and accurate as possible.

If there were any specific technologies that came out of that, I could see Tesla going into the factory machinery business selling advanced production machinery. But I don't know if they could sell a turnkey production line. Any production system would have to be tuned to a specific product. I could see Tesla going into factories they acquire in a bankruptcy sale and completely renovating it to make Tesla's vehicles by cloning the production line they have somewhere else.

I believe they will buy a division of a company. Lets say..... the Chevy EV Line?

I was thinking Chrysler was going to fail before Tesla was in a position to buy another car company.
Good point. But I think they will manage to hold out a bit with government support. So Tesla may be in the right possession at the right time - or not :)

Any production system would have to be tuned to a specific product.
Yes, and the key word here was "franchise". The would not put out just any BEV's but Tesla designed cars - probably Model 3/Y. And I have no idea If it then will be sold with a Tesla logo or Fiat/Chrysler/Ford/Whatever logo and/or with minor differences from the original.

So if the Model Y is a compact SUV using the Model 3 platform, we already start comparing it's base to current vehicles.
Model 3
Wheelbase 2,870 mm (113 in) est. [2]
Length 4,676 mm (184.1 in) est. [2]
Width 1,885 mm (74.2 in) est. [2]

2016 Subaru Forester
Width: 70.7″
Length: 180.9″

2017 Audi Q5
Width: 74.7″
Length: 182.6″

2017 Acura RDX
Width: 73.7″
Length: 184.4″

2017 Volvl XC60
Width: 74.4″
Length: 182.8″

Model Y should be a 5 seater. I think Elon is smart enough to keep the price down and not put Falcon wing doors on this model. I would want the ability to put boats on top of the car like you can with most SUV's. This vehicle would really sell well.