Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4WD doesn't mean you're invincible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well spotted, didn't notice that. The wheels spin backwards briefly before he puts the brakes on.

The other thing I notice is that if you watch the the tracks that the car leaves as it slides down the hill the reflection from the lights shows that it really is sheet ice underneath ... the snow is a very unstable layer on top of the ice ... doomed! We do rather worse in the UK for this kind of problem. In properly cold countries the packed snow gives some amount of grip (with the right tyres). In this country we get rain when it's initially just above freezing ... temperature drops a few degrees and that freezes to ice and then a layer of snow on top. If it wasn't salted before the snowfall you end up with this treacherous result. UK commonly has daytime melting and night-time re-freeze leading to very unpredictable surfaces.

Bellend with the camera should of warned them there was a car already stuck but as usual think its a laugh at someone elses expense which ultimately costs us all money in insurance increases.

Just saw another video of right after this where another guy comes right after the tesla and slides down as well. No attempt by the guy to warn them but just keeps recording and saying they can't stop.

Probably the outcome was a given as soon as they left home with those tyres on.

Probably not a given when he they left home, but deffo once they decided to head down the hill..... they successfully stopped at the top and had chance to assess, seeing the person stood filming should have made them think; shame said person was in it for the social media likes and didn't warn them.... c*ck womble!

I'm interested to know how all-season type tyres would have fared in these conditions. I'm toying with them as my car is getting close to needing new boots (20K miles) but wonder if they are too much of a compromise as we move into Spring/Summer. I don't have the luxury of storing two sets of tyres and swapping them.

I'm interested to know how all-season type tyres would have fared in these conditions. I'm toying with them as my car is getting close to needing new boots (20K miles) but wonder if they are too much of a compromise as we move into Spring/Summer. I don't have the luxury of storing two sets of tyres and swapping them.

CrossClimates get a pretty good write up. (To be quite frank I think the example we are commenting on is rather a special case ... one to be avoided rather than driven down.) Take a look at tyre reviews on youtube on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEvB1bmKjPWZ3V1wSdBnXPQ

CrossClimates get a pretty good write up. (To be quite frank I think the example we are commenting on is rather a special case ... one to be avoided rather than driven down.) Take a look at tyre reviews on youtube on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEvB1bmKjPWZ3V1wSdBnXPQ

We use CrossClimates on 2 out of 5 pool vehicles in my company.

They give us some winter capability ie in event of snow.

Tread wear is worse by about 25% compared to comparable summer tyres.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
+1 for cross climates. I have them fitted on my SR+ and have been driving up and down a similar slope in west Edinburgh without incident (so far)
Really bought them for better stopping in cold wet conditions but pleasantly surprised how well they’ve done in the snow and ice

We mostly think in terms of grip in snowy conditions but as I discovered in my first year with a farm tractor - if there's ice under the a thin layer of snow then you have no grip (worse still with agri tyres and reduced area of contact). The absolute worst is a thin layer of melt on the ice - warm tyres and a heavy vehicle and you're going skating....

Reactions: brkaus

All season should fare ok in these conditions. I lived in conditions much worse than this when younger and couldn't afford two sets of tyres so I drove my Honda civic with all seasons all year round and never had any issues.
Driving technique and common sense still required.

Not sure how the tyres would work with the Tesla and road noise etc.

Have a word with your local ATS tyre shop. I ordered my all-seasons from BlackCircles but got them fitted at ATS. They run a ‘tyre hotel’ and will store your other tyres for £8 each per six months.

• Informative
Reactions: Kenners and Jez_GB
I run winter tyres and have done for a long time. They make a real different in the snow and cold conditions generally. But, they would have made no difference in that scenario. It was clearly sheet ice under a very thin layer of snow.
I had a similar experience (not in a Tesla) a few winters ago, on almost brand new winter tyres and hill not as steep as that. On sheet ice, no tyre will grip. I was lucky I didn't hit the car at the bottom, or anything else, but that was pure luck and for the grace of god.

Reactions: pow216
I run winter tyres and have done for a long time. They make a real different in the snow and cold conditions generally. But, they would have made no difference in that scenario. It was clearly sheet ice under a very thin layer of snow.
I had a similar experience (not in a Tesla) a few winters ago, on almost brand new winter tyres and hill not as steep as that. On sheet ice, no tyre will grip. I was lucky I didn't hit the car at the bottom, or anything else, but that was pure luck and for the grace of god.

I beg to disagree a little on your statement that on sheet ice no tyre will grip having done plenty of driving on frozen lakes in Norway years back. They may not grip enough to stop you or to get you up steep inclines but if you keep the wheels turning (by judicious use of the accelerator) rather than allowing them to lock up then you should get sufficient traction to allow you to steer the car away from obstructions. I agree that in the circumstances of powder snow on top of ice on a steep hill in Glasgow not a lot can be done but he should have given himself a bit of a chance by not keeping the brakes locked on as he did (although reverse gear may have been an issue!)

Reactions: Adopado
I beg to disagree a little on your statement that on sheet ice no tyre will grip having done plenty of driving on frozen lakes in Norway years back. They may not grip enough to stop you or to get you up steep inclines but if you keep the wheels turning (by judicious use of the accelerator) rather than allowing them to lock up then you should get sufficient traction to allow you to steer the car away from obstructions. I agree that in the circumstances of powder snow on top of ice on a steep hill in Glasgow not a lot can be done but he should have given himself a bit of a chance by not keeping the brakes locked on as he did (although reverse gear may have been an issue!)

I agree that had he let his wheels rotate he would have given himself a bit of a chance and possibly even been able to steer. My point was that once it set off down there, it wasn't going to stop even on the best tyres in the world.

The bloke (or lady) filming people but not warning them should be held accountable for the accidents. Maybe the loss of no claims coming from his/her policy or the excess from his/her bank account. I know in practice this is never going to happen, but how would (s)he have felt if someone had of been seriously hurt or worse. Not likely someone inside a car at those speeds, but say someone fell over and/or got hit by an out of control car?

The trouble with the M3P is that those 20" wheels give a very limited (almost zero) choice for winter tyres. The only way is to buy a second set of wheels to put on with the winter tyres. People are reluctant to spend that kind of money. That said, if I lived in Scotland, I would spend the money.