Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4x service and not yet 7 months. Anyone tried filing lemon law?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model x went into the service center 4x now due to various issues, mail one with my model x not picking up my sxm signal for the duration of the trip from home to work, a 40mi trip. Then we had issue with the autopilot braking when I pass a big rig, and now the fan makes these vibration sound that makes my brake shakes and you can hear it from the outside. Not to mention that the touchscreen doesn’t work some of the times. Not to mention the sentry mode turned on while I am sitting in the car which makes me not able to drive the car. During the service, they said that they can’t reproduce it so it is not an issue.

I want to know if anyone filed a lemon law before? I am looking at it from the tesla owners portal. I want to know how I can file it because clearly I am not happy with all these issues.

Any advice would be grateful. I am very frustrated.

Consult a lemon law layer.
Generally, every state has their conditions to qualify. I see you are in California, this is a good link:
https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
It mentions 4 service visits for the same problem (in writing) or the car has been in service for more than 30 days while undergoing warranty repairs.

The key is going to be the service documentation. Car companies are not fools about this and will categorize the visit as “good will” which means it doesn’t qualify according to the letter of the law which is why you might need a lawyer.

I know you are frustrated but lemon law repurchases are nasty and stressful on everyone. Hopefully Tesla can make it right.

California is buyback on 18k mi or 18 months. However, the buyback can also apply during the entire warranty depending on the situation. More than 30 days at service for all problems, more than 3 efforts at same problem, 2 efforts at safety issue. Always try the mfr first, do not say the term lawyer, don't get adversarial. The lawyer comes into play when they refuse negotiate and they are in violation of the law.

• Informative
Reactions: TOBASH
Thank you everyone. The problem is that they say they can't reproduce the issue at their site so it is a non-issue.

Thank you for the goodwill tip. They did tell me that they will do a few things at "goodwill".

Also, they are sneaky at not sending me the invoice when they said they will . I have to ask them but again, you can't call them or email them. Everything is via the app.