Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5,000.00 Question: AWD (non-P) vs. EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mo City

Jul 17, 2016
near Houston
I test drove a RWD Model 3 last week. For me, it was much better than the Model S P90D I tested about a year ago because of the extra headroom, the seat was MUCH more comfortable and the size of the car gave it a lighter, more nimble feel. The acceleration was way better than expected. It forced me to question my choices.

Before last week, my configuration was AWD without EAP. EAP and FSD would be great to have, but I can get them later. I can't upgrade to AWD. My gut also tells me Tesla will eventually cease production of RWD Model 3s and that could hurt future resale value.

My question for you seasoned vets of Tesla: Should I drop AWD and get EAP? I live in Houston TX. Snow is a non-issue, but rain makes the roads slick quite often and I like the idea of 4 wheels gripping instead of 2.

Would appreciate some informed advice.

I don't think they'll drop rwd any time soon. They need to produce the cheaper car possible so they'll need to have SR and rwd models out for a while to come.

Do you think you'll ever need AWD? Do you commute a lot and AP would come in handy from day 1? Personally, I'd get AWD. AP is only $5k more on a $55k car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
There's no way I'm buying a car without Autopilot or equivalent capability as a daily driver again. It is very very nice to have in stop and go traffic and on empty roads, and often useful in between as well.

AWD doesn't help any with turning or stopping, so if you're worried about traction, slow down or get better tires.

AWD will help with acceleration around a corner. If anything like the S, RWD will be traction limited pulling into traffic.

I had a loaner with AP1 for a few days last week and played with it a bunch. Lots of neat tricks to show off to friends, with summon and AP. I don't miss it one bit though. I drive much smoother in traffic than the AP1 did, and decelerate much smoother approaching traffic stops. I get that there have been different SW versions, but the current version nags way too much on the highway.

IMO, you don't need either. AWD if you pick one.

If snow is not an issue, then I see less of a reason to get AWD. Teslas are extremely responsive in slippery conditions, so don't worry about the rain. In your case, I'd only get AWD for performance and resale. Other than that, you're going to get better range with the RWD and pocket some $$$.

BTW, some people say even in snow/icy conditions, RWD is more than enough. I say that's kinda true. Problem is once you experience hills and steep roads having AWD begins to shine.

Reactions: dhrivnak
All those giving the response that you can get EAP later you’ll just end up spending 11k and not 5k which was the original question.

If you live in a warm climate and your commute is more freeway and in traffic, get EAP. If you have a more scenic commute or will get more opportunity to drive spiritedly get AWD

Also just to note, the performance difference between AWD and LR is not only in acceleration, it is also in handling. Rear wheel and All wheel Teslas handle very differently IMO

So going to throw in my 2cents, as someone who really had planned on waiting for the AWD version, but ended up making the leap with RWD in order to secure the Ontario EV incentive. It's my first Tesla (though I did test drive an S100D a week or so before taking delivery). I was really surprised by how well it handles, the acceleration, and the range. The 100D was faster for sure, but nothing crazy I didn't think. I'm not sure that most people would notice much difference, and I certainly got a huge upgrade in the performance from my current car, so happy with the choice. My primary motivation for wanting AWD was the modestly added range that I was expecting to accompany the 3LR-D, which does not look to be materializing. I live in Ontario, with a decent amount of snow in the winter. Haven't driven it in snow yet, but I've driven 2WD cars my whole life, (without snow tires most of the time!) and had no issues. So in the end, even if I wasn't forced to take the leap into the RWD option, I may well have ultimately settled on the RWD anyways. It's an extra cost, for what I'm sure is some added speed and improved handling, but I don't think I particularly need it. Maybe for the next car I buy I can consider the upgrade, but RWD is more than adequate at the moment. I can appreciate not wanting to have the only RWD car once Tesla's range of cars are all AWD, but I think I agree with the above poster who suggested they'll keep the RWD as an option in the 3 in order to allow for lower cost (and maybe as a differentiation factor from the S/X as well). As for autopilot, I personally didn't feel like I'd use it all that much, and was actually a bit worried about getting too reliant/trusting of it, so I also opted out. Maybe in a few years it's something I'll jump on, but it's just too much fun to drive a 3 right now, that I don't want to give up driving just yet!

So gonna contrast with most and say go with RWD and get autopilot now if that's what you're more likely to use!

I chose AWD. Will add EAP after some of the more significant upgrades come (especially once FSD arrives) and let me build some funds back up.
Do what works best for you. If you are in Cali (I am in Oregon) I think RWD is fine (what I chose). The difference in AWD is ~ 8% loss of efficiency meaning it costs more to charge (although not a ton, but will be cumulative over life of ownership). To me EAP is a MUST, while AWD is an option. Yes, you can add EAP later (1K more) and you can't add AWD, but if don't NEED AWD you can't turn it off to increase efficiency. Based on EPA, it takes 3 more kWh for the AWD to go 100 miles than RWD (so if you drive a lot that will add up, depending on your cost/kWh). If you want faster car then for sure AWD, otherwise I think RWD would be fine. Congrats btw, you won't regret the car one bit.

I test drove a RWD Model 3 last week. For me, it was much better than the Model S P90D I tested about a year ago because of the extra headroom, the seat was MUCH more comfortable and the size of the car gave it a lighter, more nimble feel. The acceleration was way better than expected. It forced me to question my choices.

Before last week, my configuration was AWD without EAP. EAP and FSD would be great to have, but I can get them later. I can't upgrade to AWD. My gut also tells me Tesla will eventually cease production of RWD Model 3s and that could hurt future resale value.

My question for you seasoned vets of Tesla: Should I drop AWD and get EAP? I live in Houston TX. Snow is a non-issue, but rain makes the roads slick quite often and I like the idea of 4 wheels gripping instead of 2.

Would appreciate some informed advice.
No way. Keep AWD and drop EAP. Its night and day difference between RWD and AWD. I live in California so snow is also a non issue but the AWD has better acceleration and more corner grip. You can always get EAP later but you can't get AWD later. I ended up getting AWD performance with no EAP.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me
Do what works best for you. If you are in Cali (I am in Oregon) I think RWD is fine (what I chose). The difference in AWD is ~ 8% loss of efficiency meaning it costs more to charge (although not a ton, but will be cumulative over life of ownership). To me EAP is a MUST, while AWD is an option. Yes, you can add EAP later (1K more) and you can't add AWD, but if don't NEED AWD you can't turn it off to increase efficiency. Based on EPA, it takes 3 more kWh for the AWD to go 100 miles than RWD (so if you drive a lot that will add up, depending on your cost/kWh). If you want faster car then for sure AWD, otherwise I think RWD would be fine. Congrats btw, you won't regret the car one bit.
Totally get your point. I chose AWD purely for the performance. I live in SoCal so I have no snow/bad weather needs. I'll add EAP later, as I have no commute and do only city driving to cart the kids around/etc. I'm not a huge fan of the efficiency loss, but I'm gonna push it hard anyway, so who knows if the efficiency loss is linear compared to RWD anyway? I'm keeping the aero's on though, so "technically" my efficiency will be similar to RWD without aeros? ;)

Reactions: N8Howell33
No way. Keep AWD and drop EAP. Its night and day difference between RWD and AWD. I live in California so snow is also a non issue but the AWD has better acceleration and more corner grip. You can always get EAP later but you can't get AWD later. I ended up getting AWD performance with no EAP.
Would have loved to get performance, but couldn't justify the $11,000 financially right now for -1.0s 0-60. Praying maybe they boost performance for dual motor later like they did for the S/X, but obviously not counting on it.

So many people suggesting AWD has better "grip". Your tire only has 100% grip available, regardless of drive layout. You can decide to use that grip however you'd like, whether it's for acceleration, turning, or braking. You can even mix turning with accel or braking, but at the end of the day, the tire has 100% grip max. Any grip you use for acceleration takes away from that available for turning. In a RWD car, your front tires can never use grip towards accel, so 100% will be available for turning.

Also, the RWD car is ~200lbs lighter than the AWD, and it's more rear-weight bias (where the drive wheels are), which tells me the RWD will be the better handling car. Having a lighter nose allows for a direction change to take place a bit easier.

AWD sometimes allows you to correct a mistake a bit easier, but it's inherently not a better handling car imo. I'd love to see posted slalom figures between the two models, really. I'd be shocked if AWD outperformed the RWD