Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5.1 or 7.1. How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I don't think I was even aware the unit processed the channels correctly, especially considering the multitude of limitation in the media subsystem. Does a 5.1 FLAC actually work?

I had this same question, so I made a 7.1 FLAC test file with a software utility designed to play test tones through all 8 speakers in a predefined sequence. The result: The MS acts like it's a 2.1 channel system. It plays left, right, and subwoofer, but not center, left side or rear, right side or rear. The Dolby 7.1 surround seems to be synthesized from two channel audio sources.
I like DVD-audio 5.1 multichannel discs since they are much higher quality than CDs or most generic digital audio. But I have to mix them to 2.1 to play in the MS, otherwise 3 channels go missing.

@captain, thanks for that info. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to convert my DTS 5.1 Audio CD's to flac 5.1, to no avail. I cannot figure out or find a converter that can do it, Mac or PC. Then I just read your post to find, even if I had found a way, it wont work!
Isn't the Premium audio supposed to support 5.1 in some way? If so, how? I'd love to hear that quality in my MS!!

TIA

@captain, thanks for that info. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to convert my DTS 5.1 Audio CD's to flac 5.1, to no avail. I cannot figure out or find a converter that can do it, Mac or PC. Then I just read your post to find, even if I had found a way, it wont work!
Isn't the Premium audio supposed to support 5.1 in some way? If so, how? I'd love to hear that quality in my MS!!

TIA
Here is a utility that may be of interest:
DVD Audio Extractor: http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/

Thanks for that @Captain, unfortunately that didn't do it, but it led me to "foobar2000" that will rip and decode the DTS audio. I now have flac files from a DTS encoded. I'm not sure if the 5.1 was retained. In the morning I will put the drive in my MS and report back....thanks again.

Edit: It couldn't wait until morning : Exactly as you have discovered, 3 channels went missing. My 5.1 media plays 2.1, and part of the Audio is missing all together. Too bad!! I'd really love to have the car play in 5.1. ( A real 1st world problem! )

Hopefully TMC will make it happen.

Last edited:
Well, I just ran into this myself. I was about to convert my dts audio tracks into flac 5.1 but downloaded a flac 5.1 test file first. Same result. My sisters $25K acura will play DVD-A but a car costing 5 times as much can't manage flac 5.1. I doubt this can be fixed in software. The left and right audio channels on the 5.1 sample come out of the front left and rear left speakers. I suspect it's just a stereo pre-amp before going into the fade mixer.

Major bummer. This is something I just sort of assumed would work and is yet another major disappointment.