TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

5.1 or 7.1. How?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Scothawk, May 7, 2014.

1. Scothawk

Scothawk Member

I'm awaiting delivery of my P85. I added the upgraded sound system but I'm curious.....how does one play 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound when there is no DVD/Blueray player?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A thumb drive in the USB port. Use FLAC encoding for best results. You won't miss the physical disk.

3. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. I don't think I was even aware the unit processed the channels correctly, especially considering the multitude of limitation in the media subsystem. Does a 5.1 FLAC actually work?

4. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Depends on what you mean by work. Just tried a 5.1 FLAC and it played. Just not 5.1.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

That's more like what I expected. So, to answer the OP's question, you can't play 5.1/7.1 for the time being.

6. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I had this same question, so I made a 7.1 FLAC test file with a software utility designed to play test tones through all 8 speakers in a predefined sequence. The result: The MS acts like it's a 2.1 channel system. It plays left, right, and subwoofer, but not center, left side or rear, right side or rear. The Dolby 7.1 surround seems to be synthesized from two channel audio sources.
    I like DVD-audio 5.1 multichannel discs since they are much higher quality than CDs or most generic digital audio. But I have to mix them to 2.1 to play in the MS, otherwise 3 channels go missing.

7. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

@captain, thanks for that info. I've spent the last hour trying to figure out how to convert my DTS 5.1 Audio CD's to flac 5.1, to no avail. I cannot figure out or find a converter that can do it, Mac or PC. Then I just read your post to find, even if I had found a way, it wont work!
    Isn't the Premium audio supposed to support 5.1 in some way? If so, how? I'd love to hear that quality in my MS!!

TIA

8. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

Here is a utility that may be of interest:
    DVD Audio Extractor: http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/

9. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

#9 Muzzman1, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Thanks for that @Captain, unfortunately that didn't do it, but it led me to "foobar2000" that will rip and decode the DTS audio. I now have flac files from a DTS encoded. I'm not sure if the 5.1 was retained. In the morning I will put the drive in my MS and report back....thanks again.

Edit: It couldn't wait until morning : Exactly as you have discovered, 3 channels went missing. My 5.1 media plays 2.1, and part of the Audio is missing all together. Too bad!! I'd really love to have the car play in 5.1. ( A real 1st world problem! )

Hopefully TMC will make it happen.

10. pvandamcom

pvandamcom Member

That is a nummer to read, I also have some 5.1 materiaal and they play fine in my current BMW X5. I do have tot set a specific setting to enable true 5.1 playback, but it actually works.
    I will certainly miss that when my MS arrives.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Well, I just ran into this myself. I was about to convert my dts audio tracks into flac 5.1 but downloaded a flac 5.1 test file first. Same result. My sisters $25K acura will play DVD-A but a car costing 5 times as much can't manage flac 5.1. I doubt this can be fixed in software. The left and right audio channels on the 5.1 sample come out of the front left and rear left speakers. I suspect it's just a stereo pre-amp before going into the fade mixer.

Major bummer. This is something I just sort of assumed would work and is yet another major disappointment.