Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
PlugShare- 6 miles away
Supercharger-30 miles away
Future supercharger 2022- 13 miles away

Roundtrip to and from office- 22 miles, currently still working from home. Rarely drive anywhere weekday nights.

Weekend driving 50-75 miles Saturday & Sunday with an occasional trip to Chicago - 120 miles

SE WI winters are quite harsh, but do I really have anything to worry about?

My electrician spoke to the inspector and told him I would need a $2k panel upgrade and a 14-50 Nema isn’t an option in my case. In fact my current 100amp should really be 135amp.

With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Last edited:
I haven't had a problem and got 7500 miles so far in about 5 months. My work is on the road and drive about 60 miles a day.I use a Qwik 220 on occasion and have Supercharged 3 times total with free Supercharger miles for road trips or all day with clients. I suggest a Qwik 220 for just in case preparation and Superchargers for emergencies andyou should be just fine. I live in an old condo and it will cost thousands to install Supercharger or Nema 15-20. I also have a couple of expensive plugshare close by and Superchargers about 10 miles away which is good for standby but have not been necessary to use.

Upvote 0
If Plugshare shows reliable CHAdeMO chargers nearby/on your routes, you can consider buying CHAdeMO Adapter, as well. All of the ones in the US (unless they have a problem) will be faster than public J1772 charging and faster than Destination Charging | Tesla. Figure charging rates of 30ish kW to a max of 50 kW.

If any of the CHAdeMO chargers are Electrify America, keep in mind they install only 1 CHAdeMO handle vs. multiple (5 to 7, as many as 19) CCS. If that lone CHAdeMO handle doesn't work or its charger is broken, you're SOL. Tesla hasn't released a CCS1 adapter anywhere. Was supposed to come to South Korea...

Upvote 0
The 110V charging should be fine for most of your needs. Going to Chicago in the winter, you may need to hit a supercharger on the way home.
You are correct about winter being harder, but really it doesn't seem that bad. If you get a bad storm, you are not likely going to head out for a day or 2 anyway, so the 110V charging should be good enough. Yes, preconditioning should work fine and is important during the winter. Plus getting into a warm car in the winter is nice. I also use dog mode when at the store to keep the car warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Upvote 0
The 110V charging should be fine for most of your needs. Going to Chicago in the winter, you may need to hit a supercharger on the way home.
You are correct about winter being harder, but really it doesn't seem that bad. If you get a bad storm, you are not likely going to head out for a day or 2 anyway, so the 110V charging should be good enough. Yes, preconditioning should work fine and is important during the winter. Plus getting into a warm car in the winter is nice. I also use dog mode when at the store to keep the car warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Dog mode? Lol how does that work? And what about the electric bill since it will hardly if ever be sleeping?

Upvote 0
I haven't had a problem and got 7500 miles so far in about 5 months. My work is on the road and drive about 60 miles a day.I use a Qwik 220 on occasion and have Supercharged 3 times total with free Supercharger miles for road trips or all day with clients. I suggest a Qwik 220 for just in case preparation and Superchargers for emergencies andyou should be just fine. I live in an old condo and it will cost thousands to install Supercharger or Nema 15-20. I also have a couple of expensive plugshare close by and Superchargers about 10 miles away which is good for standby but have not been necessary to use.
How does the Qwik 220 work?

Upvote 0
Dog mode? Lol how does that work? And what about the electric bill since it will hardly if ever be sleeping?

@1plavs re: Dog Mode:

Why do you think your car will hardly ever be sleeping? It sounds like you leave it in place for many hours through the weekdays (while you work from home, or while you're at the office when things return to normal). Particularly when you're at home (assuming you have a place to park it where you won't need Sentry mode on, which does prevent the car from going to sleep), your car will be sleeping most of the time.

Upvote 0
How long does it take you to charge using a regular 110v outlet to get back to 80% after you come home from work?

Upvote 0

Why do you think your car will hardly ever be sleeping? It sounds like you leave it in place for many hours through the weekdays (while you work from home, or while you're at the office when things return to normal). Particularly when you're at home (assuming you have a place to park it where you won't need Sentry mode on, which does prevent the car from going to sleep), your car will be sleeping most of the time.
If I burn let’s say 30 miles a day and I use a regular 110v wall outlet it would take 5 hours to charge back to 80% correct? I’m assuming I’ll get 4-5 miles of charging an hour. At that point it should be sleeping then correct?
The winter will be a different story as it’s cold and the charging might be 3 miles of charging an hour which means a full 8-9 of charging and no sleeping.
Are you saying that I shouldn’t plug the vehicle in daily or what am I missing?

Upvote 0
If I burn let’s say 30 miles a day and I use a regular 110v wall outlet it would take 5 hours to charge back to 80% correct? I’m assuming I’ll get 4-5 miles of charging an hour. At that point it should be sleeping then correct?
The winter will be a different story as it’s cold and the charging might be 3 miles of charging an hour which means a full 8-9 of charging and no sleeping.
Are you saying that I shouldn’t plug the vehicle in daily or what am I missing?
Tesla provides a chart that includes an estimate of how many miles you can expect to add to the range per hour of charging for the different plug types. For the NEMA 5-15 plug (comes with the Tesla Mobile Connector) Tesla estimates 3 miles per hour of charging. If you have at least 10 hours to charge overnight you should be ok.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
How long does it take you to charge using a regular 110v outlet to get back to 80% after you come home from work?

Wait isn’t sleeping when it’s not charging or when it’s charging ? Maybe that’s where I’m confused. I also need a list of what settings I need to update or change since I’ll be constantly using a 110v outlet if anyone could point me to one please!

Upvote 0
Tesla provides a chart that includes an estimate of how many miles you can expect to add to the range per hour of charging for the different plug types. For the NEMA 5-15 plug (comes with the Tesla Mobile Connector) Tesla estimates 3 miles per hour of charging. If you have at least 10 hours to charge overnight you should be ok.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
What about the winter months where it will take more of a toll?

Upvote 0
With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Why did you state that the MY would never go into sleep mode. To minimize power drain you want the MY to enter sleep mode. To ensure the MY can enter sleep mode set the Sentry Mode to not be active at your home location.

You can precondition in winter when plugged into a 120V receptacle or even when not plugged in. Preconditioning will use more power than is available from the 120V outlet (~7kW while preconditioning, warming the battery pack and the passenger can versus just 1.4kW maximum available from a 120V/15A receptacle.) I would precondition for only 10 minutes, use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater to keep warm in winter.

Upvote 0
What about the winter months where it will take more of a toll?
In winter I would suggest charging as soon as you arrive home so the battery pack is already warm. If you wait until early in the A.M. to charge the Tesla battery management system will have to first warm the battery pack to 10C (50F) before charging the battery pack. If you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan this complicates the charging strategy when charging using 120V/15A. You will need at least 8 to 10 hours of charging each evening so Scheduled Charging isn't really an option. Just plug in as soon as you arrive home.

Other considerations:

If this is a 120V/20A circuit you can charge at 4 miles per hour with the NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter.

If this 120V circuit has only one receptacle an electrician can usually rewire the circuit to be 240V (still 15A as before) but the Tesla will charge twice as fast at 240V as 120V for the same amperage.

Upvote 0
Why did you state that the MY would never go into sleep mode. To minimize power drain you want the MY to enter sleep mode. To ensure the MY can enter sleep mode set the Sentry Mode to not be active at your home location.

You can precondition in winter when plugged into a 120V receptacle or even when not plugged in. Preconditioning will use more power than is available from the 120V outlet (~7kW while preconditioning, warming the battery pack and the passenger can versus just 1.4kW maximum available from a 120V/15A receptacle.) I would precondition for only 10 minutes, use the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater to keep warm in winter.
My fault I mixed things up. So during winter it’s pretty silly not to turn the heat on for me, my wife and sometimes people I’ll be driving in the car ?

In my case is preconditioning better plugged in my garage for 10 minutes as you say or should I unplug it and then precondition for 10 minutes?

Upvote 0
In winter I would suggest charging as soon as you arrive home so the battery pack is already warm. If you wait until early in the A.M. to charge the Tesla battery management system will have to first warm the battery pack to 10C (50F) before charging the battery pack. If you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan this complicates the charging strategy when charging using 120V/15A. You will need at least 8 to 10 hours of charging each evening so Scheduled Charging isn't really an option. Just plug in as soon as you arrive home.

Other considerations:

If this is a 120V/20A circuit you can charge at 4 miles per hour with the NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter.

If this 120V circuit has only one receptacle an electrician can usually rewire the circuit to be 240V (still 15A as before) but the Tesla will charge twice as fast at 240V as 120V for the same amperage.
No TOU here, but does this info only apply during the winter? I mean in my case I’ll have it plugged in charging most of the time since it will only get 3 miles of charging per hour.
You mentioned 120v, isn’t it 100v or what’s the difference?

Upvote 0