Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
PlugShare- 6 miles away
Supercharger-30 miles away
Future supercharger 2022- 13 miles away

Roundtrip to and from office- 22 miles, currently still working from home. Rarely drive anywhere weekday nights.

Weekend driving 50-75 miles Saturday & Sunday with an occasional trip to Chicago - 120 miles

SE WI winters are quite harsh, but do I really have anything to worry about?

My electrician spoke to the inspector and told him I would need a $2k panel upgrade and a 14-50 Nema isn’t an option in my case. In fact my current 100amp should really be 135amp.

With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Last edited:
The charging cord on the Mobile Connector is in actual measurement 18 ft, 7 inches long. You would have to back into the garage to be able to plug in, use the dryer receptacle unless you purchase a 14-30 extension cord.
This one ?

Attachments

• 9B77BF46-9E37-4FC8-9245-C354D332A57F.png
    9B77BF46-9E37-4FC8-9245-C354D332A57F.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
A few times a year won't be a bid deal on the 14-30. Also what @jcanoe said, just leave it there. But also the 5-15 outlet can handle multiple removals everyday, but again, spend $3 and replace for personal insurance relief if over 5 years old. You just wouldn't want to do it every week on a 14-30. If it's being used as a just-in-case measure, I wouldn't worry about it.

You could install something to ensure its not hanging. I can tell you without seeing exactly where the outlet is. The mobile connector is a 20 foot cable.
What’s the main reason of not doing it on a 14-30?

Upvote 0
What’s the main reason of not doing it on a 14-30?
I don't understand the question. The 14-30 is a 240V receptacle rated for a 30A circuit (commonly used with clothes dryers.) Otherwise it is the same as the 14-50 receptacles that is rated for 50A. The 14-30 and 14-50 plugs are not interchangeable as far as fitting into the receptacle. The 14-30 will charge a bit slower than when using the 14-50. Either one is many times faster than charging using the 5-15 receptacle (7X to almost 10X times faster.)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
I don't understand the question. The 14-30 is a 240V receptacle rated for a 30A circuit (commonly used with clothes dryers.) Otherwise it is the same as the 14-50 receptacles that is rated for 50A. The 14-30 and 14-50 plugs are not interchangeable as far as fitting into the receptacle. The 14-30 will charge a bit slower than when using the 14-50. Either one is many times faster than charging using the 5-15 receptacle (7X to almost 10X times faster.)
You said “You just wouldn't want to do it every week on a 14-30. If it's being used as a just-in-case measure, I wouldn't worry about it.”

Upvote 0
You said “You just wouldn't want to do it every week on a 14-30. If it's being used as a just-in-case measure, I wouldn't worry about it.”
The higher power receptacles such as 14-50, 14-30 were not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. Think about how often you normally plug and unplug an electric range or a dryer; hardly ever. A 5-15 receptacle although only rated for 15A can handle many times the number of plug and unplug operations although eventually the 5-15 receptacle can also wear out, not make a tight connection with the plug.

Reactions: 1plavs
Upvote 0
The higher power receptacles such as 14-50, 14-30 were not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. Think about how often you normally plug and unplug an electric range or a dryer; hardly ever. A 5-15 receptacle although only rated for 15A can handle many times the number of plug and unplug operations although eventually the 5-15 receptacle can also wear out, not make a tight connection with the plug.
So I’ll use it for emergencies. Still good to know for even those cases.

Upvote 0
Few questions. If I use this once a month would it be better to get an extension cord? How good/bad is it to constantly unplug my dryer like that?
Tesla does not recommend using extension cords. A 14-30, 25 ft. extension cord would cost ~$125 ( a 10 ft version costs $75.) NEMA 14-30 dryer extension cord, 25 ft. – EVSE Adapters

If you must use an extension cord keep it as short as possible. If you back into your garage to charge from the dryer outlet you won't need to use an extension cord. The Mobile Connector electronics unit (the chassis) can sit on the floor. Keep the extension cord connection with the Mobile Connector plug adapter away from water. Place the Mobile Connector chassis on a milk crate or a cinderblock in case the garage floor is wet. (Why tempt fate.)

Upvote 0
I am just getting to this thread, which already has 7 pages of new comments--wow.
In the long run and knowing that my range and charging time will significantly impacted here in SE WI with a Tesla and knowing that I’ll be using a 5-15 outlet and PlugShare/Supercharger when necessary…..is the MY still my best bet vs let’s a Rav4 Prime? Considering costs, gas vs electric power and maintenance over time.
I'm already frustrated with how much people are spreading fear and worry about your situation that it's making you doubt whether a Model Y will be feasible. It's ridiculous! You have overnight charging available at home in an enclosed garage! You have a Supercharger and other charging resources available pretty close nearby as needed. There is no issue at all with your situation. And yeah, using a regular outlet at home will be plenty of charging year round--summer or winter. Sure, there are good suggestions about checking or maybe replacing the 120V outlet you would be using to make sure it's a good solid connection. Sensible advice there.

I do not believe you can protect a 14-50 with a lower amperage breaker. That is a fire risk because the car only knows the adapter connection and not the circuit breaker. It will try and draw a continuous 40 amps. The 40 amp breaker should trip since its above 80% its threshold, but if it doesn't, then wires and connections start to get really hot.

You can install a 14-50 on a 60 amp breaker no problem. This is actually the setup I am recommending to my friend. He just ordered a MS and needs to run a line from his basement. But he knows his wife wants a M3 in a year or 2. So he is going to just install a 14-50 on a 60 amp breaker and get the wall connector later when his wife get the M3.
Holy $#&^! How was I the first person to get to mark a disagree on this? It's all blatantly wrong.
National Electric Code section 210.21(B)(1) says:
"A single receptacle must have an ampere rating of not less than the overcurrent device protecting the branch circuit"

The breaker cannot ever be a higher rating than the outlet type for a single dedicated outlet on a circuit, like a 14-50 would be set up in this case. So no, it is a blatant code violation to use a 14-50 outlet type with a 60A breaker. Always. Full stop.

There is not a prohibition, though, about the breaker being lower than the outlet rating. And your explanation is the opposite of why. If you have the breaker too high, you may continue to overdraw the current on the outlet and wires, but the breaker will not cut it off to put a stop to it. If you have the breaker lower, it can potentially trip and cut off the circuit when you don't want it to, but that is the safer outcome.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Upvote 0
I am just getting to this thread, which already has 7 pages of new comments--wow.

I'm already frustrated with how much people are spreading fear and worry about your situation that it's making you doubt whether a Model Y will be feasible. It's ridiculous! You have overnight charging available at home in an enclosed garage! You have a Supercharger and other charging resources available pretty close nearby as needed. There is no issue at all with your situation. And yeah, using a regular outlet at home will be plenty of charging year round--summer or winter. Sure, there are good suggestions about checking or maybe replacing the 120V outlet you would be using to make sure it's a good solid connection. Sensible advice there.

Holy $#&^! How was I the first person to get to mark a disagree on this? It's all blatantly wrong.
"A single receptacle must have an ampere rating of not less than the overcurrent device protecting the branch circuit"

The breaker cannot ever be a higher rating than the outlet type for a single dedicated outlet on a circuit, like a 14-50 would be set up in this case. So no, it is a blatant code violation to use a 14-50 outlet type with a 60A breaker. Always. Full stop.

There is not a prohibition, though, about the breaker being lower than the outlet rating. And your explanation is the opposite of why. If you have the breaker too high, you may continue to overdraw the current on the outlet and wires, but the breaker will not cut it off to put a stop to it. If you have the breaker lower, it can potentially trip and cut off the circuit when you don't want it to, but that is the safer outcome.
Understood, for me being in frigid Wisconsin the big thing is I had a vehicle that was partially electric and gas which was a Prius prime and I know how range is lost 30% or more, but having a 100% electric vehicle I know that I’ll be dealing with a different beast so that’s where most of my concerns were charging with a regular wall outlet.

Upvote 0
Understood, for me being in frigid Wisconsin the big thing is I had a vehicle that was partially electric and gas which was a Prius prime and I know how range is lost 30% or more, but having a 100% electric vehicle I know that I’ll be dealing with a different beast so that’s where most of my concerns were charging with a regular wall outlet.
Just wait, in a few years you will be heading to AZ for the winter.

Upvote 0
Makes sense. In my scenario should I leave the cable plugged in the MY at all times? In the winter I definitely will, but what about summer when I have enough range and really don’t need to charge.

@1plavs wow I can't believe how fast this thread has grown. In any event, I strongly recommend you watch this video from the Frugal Tesla Guy, where he walks you through direct quotes from the owner's manual around this type of question in understandable language and a comfortable pace:

If you find that helpful, be sure to check out the full Your Battery According To Tesla playlist, as they're all full of great info for new Tesla owners (like yourself... and myself as well): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi5zSXnvBYG0gyOzzlNCeBhvSTk4vhgcY [Edit: fixed playlist link]

Upvote 0

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. What I meant was for my friend who wants to later do a wall charger that the wiring should be rated for 60 amps. And run the heavier wire now to a 14-50 receptacle. Yes, you are correct, it should be a 50 amp breaker. And then when he changes out the 14-50 for a wall charger, he can just switch out the 50 amp for a 60 amp breaker and the wiring already be up to code.

In the case of a 40 amp breaker on the 14-50 receptacle you still would not want to do that with a Tesla unless you manually lower the draw from the car. Otherwise it will trip the breaker. Hopefully.

Upvote 0

What are your thoughts on using a Tesla 14-30 adapter alongside the mobile connector and use that to plug into our clothes dryer outlet which is nearby for emergency use let’s say once a month as discussed earlier?

Upvote 0