Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-15 110V garage wall outlet range anxiety or nothing to worry about ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
PlugShare- 6 miles away
Supercharger-30 miles away
Future supercharger 2022- 13 miles away

Roundtrip to and from office- 22 miles, currently still working from home. Rarely drive anywhere weekday nights.

Weekend driving 50-75 miles Saturday & Sunday with an occasional trip to Chicago - 120 miles

SE WI winters are quite harsh, but do I really have anything to worry about?

My electrician spoke to the inspector and told him I would need a $2k panel upgrade and a 14-50 Nema isn’t an option in my case. In fact my current 100amp should really be 135amp.

With the MY never really going in sleep mode what should I be worried about as far as my electrical bill goes?

Will I still be able to precondition in the winter?

Last edited:
A 14-30R (the R stands for Receptacle) receptacle costs less than $10; a top brand 14-30R such as Bryant costs $50. You could change the receptacle every other year for 16 years and not spend as much as the switch costs.

As you stated this is something you would only do a limited number of times per year, i.e. even unplugging the dryer and plugging in to charge once a month the 14-30 receptacle would not wear out for at least a couple of years.
Here’s what I’m going with along with a 6-20 outlet. AxFAST Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger | Costco https://www.costco.com/axfast-level-2-portable-electric-vehicle-charger.product.100489580.html

Upvote 0
Here’s what I’m going with along with a 6-20 outlet. AxFAST Level 2 Portable Electric Vehicle Charger | Costco https://www.costco.com/axfast-level-2-portable-electric-vehicle-charger.product.100489580.html
The Costco portable EVSE has the wrong 240V/30A plug for your installation. Based on the photos you shared your dryer circuit has a 14-30 receptacle (it has, uses the neutral and the ground connection.) The Costco unit has a 10-30 plug adapter (it has, uses the neutral connection but has no ground connection.) The 14-30 plug and the 10-30 plug are not the same plug.

(When plugged into a properly installed 240V outlet, Level 2 (3.84kW at 16A/240V). The Costco EVSE is a 20A rated EVSE, charges at a maximum of 16A when used with the 6-20 plug or with the 10-30 plug adapter. This means that when used with a 30A dryer circuit that would normally support charging at 24A the Costco unit will only charge at a maximum of 16A, so 30% slower than at 24A. Charging at 240V/16A would meet your daily charging needs, charge the Tesla at up to 14 miles of range per hour. The step up from 120V charging is quite noticeable when you can charge at 12 - 14 miles per hour instead of 3 to 4 miles per hour.

Why purchase the Costco portable EVSE when you could purchase the Tesla NEMA 6-20 plug adapter for $35 and use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 6-20 receptacle? The only difference is the Costco unit has a longer charging cord than the Tesla Mobile Connector. If you are installing a new 20A circuit with a 6-20 receptacle just locate the 6-20 receptacle so you are able to easily reach the Tesla's charging port using the Tesla Mobile Connector's 18 ft charging cord.

When you use the Costco EVSE to charge the Tesla you will need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter. You might want to keep a second J1772 plug adapter in the vehicle, the J1772 adapter costs $95 from the Tesla store.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This thread needs to die!! You guys keep going round and round in a useless, inane circle. Are you even aware how this is going?
Yes a little bit. But I think @jcanoe has mentioned some good informational content for anyone else who wants to learn what to do and not to do. And yes, I think this thread can probably end as-is.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
The Costco portable EVSE has the wrong 240V/30A plug for your installation. Based on the photos you shared your dryer circuit has a 14-30 receptacle (it has, uses the neutral and the ground connection.) The Costco unit has a 10-30 plug adapter (it has, uses the neutral connection but has no ground connection.) The 14-30 plug and the 10-30 plug are not the same plug.

(When plugged into a properly installed 240V outlet, Level 2 (3.84kW at 16A/240V). The Costco EVSE is a 20A rated EVSE, charges at a maximum of 16A when used with the 6-20 plug or with the 10-30 plug adapter. This means that when used with a 30A dryer circuit that would normally support charging at 24A the Costco unit will only charge at a maximum of 16A, so 30% slower than at 24A. Charging at 240V/16A would meet your daily charging needs, charge the Tesla at up to 14 miles of range per hour. The step up from 120V charging is quite noticeable when you can charge at 12 - 14 miles per hour instead of 3 to 4 miles per hour.

Why purchase the Costco portable EVSE when you could purchase the Tesla NEMA 6-20 plug adapter for $35 and use the Tesla Mobile Connector with the 6-20 receptacle? The only difference is the Costco unit has a longer charging cord than the Tesla Mobile Connector. If you are installing a new 20A circuit with a 6-20 receptacle just locate the 6-20 receptacle so you are able to easily reach the Tesla's charging port using the Tesla Mobile Connector's 18 ft charging cord.

When you use the Costco EVSE to charge the Tesla you will need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter. You might want to keep a second J1772 plug adapter in the vehicle, the J1772 adapter costs $95 from the Tesla store.
I never said I was going to to use this with my dryer lol.
I’m using this in my garage after someone installs a 6-20 outlet for me.

Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
120V charging is more useable than many let on. Try it out and see what you think. My wife just took delivery of a Model Y and we have no plans to do anything other than 120V charging. It will be plenty.
I'm going to get a 6–20R outlet winstalled with this 24ft Costco charger. It will be perfect at 15 charging miles an hour. Plus when it gets the 120V just isn’t gonna cut it with 30% range loss.

Upvote 0
I'm going to get a 6–20R outlet winstalled with this 24ft Costco charger. It will be perfect at 15 charging miles an hour. Plus when it gets the 120V just isn’t gonna cut it with 30% range loss.
I think a couple of people may have asked when you mentioned that in another thread, but I don't think I saw an answer. Why are you buying this other charging unit instead of just buying Tesla's $35 adapter plug for the 6-20 outlet and using the cord that comes with the car?

Upvote 0
I think a couple of people may have asked when you mentioned that in another thread, but I don't think I saw an answer. Why are you buying this other charging unit instead of just buying Tesla's $35 adapter plug for the 6-20 outlet and using the cord that comes with the car?
Because this has a 6-20 adapter and a 24ft charging cord mainly. Tesla’s cord is 18ft not counting 2ft for the chassis isn’t long enough and would require me to back up to charge.

Reactions: sgalla04
Upvote 0
Because this has a 6-20 adapter and a 24ft charging cord mainly. Tesla’s cord is 18ft not counting 2ft for the chassis isn’t long enough and would require me to back up to charge.

@1plavs okay, I have to ask: what's wrong with backing in to charge? With our gas-powered vehicles so the tailpipes would be pointing toward the outside to prevent excess exhaust in the garage (and discoloration of the walls). But with the Tesla, we've been backing in. Makes leaving a simpler process, and once you get used to how to use the 3 cameras when in reverse, backing into spots is pretty easy.

Upvote 0
@1plavs okay, I have to ask: what's wrong with backing in to charge? With our gas-powered vehicles so the tailpipes would be pointing toward the outside to prevent excess exhaust in the garage (and discoloration of the walls). But with the Tesla, we've been backing in. Makes leaving a simpler process, and once you get used to how to use the 3 cameras when in reverse, backing into spots is pretty easy.
Basically the huge snow I have at the end of my driveway that the snow plows leave lol. I wouldn’t wanna park like that all the time.

Upvote 0
Supercharger costs are usually 2X higher than charging at home. Some people literally live down the street from an Urban Supercharger. (There is one about 2 miles from my home. I've never had the need to use it.)
Really? Where I live, in the SF Bay Area, my midnight to 3pm cost at home is 23 cents/kwh. The nearby superchargers from 9pm to 11am are 24 cents/kwh. It used to be cheaper to use the supercharger than my home before I got the EV plan.

There are level 2 chargers nearby that are free, or about the same price as home, but they have 2 hour limits and aren't very convenient just for charging.

Upvote 0