Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-20 charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 16A 240V charger (on a 6-20 outlet) that I use on my Prius Prime. I'm using it on my Tesla while I wait for my 6-50 adapter to show up. It charges the Tesla at 14-15mi/hr. Divide that in half. 7 to 7.5mi/hr.

I even debated whether or not that was good enough. It probably is, but I hate having to take that adapter on and off every time I want to swap charging each car. Plus for $35 its not exactly breaking the bank.

Wow, that's way over the 4 mph that I've seen most people posting, as well as what the Tesla shop advertises. Do you have a newer model MY? Could the charging be more efficient on newer models?
7 sounds a tad high to me, but I don't think in terms of miles added so I could be wrong. You should get almost exactly 2% per hour unless the temperature is very low.

7 sounds a tad high to me, but I don't think in terms of miles added so I could be wrong. You should get almost exactly 2% per hour unless the temperature is very low.
You can get 5 on a 5-15. 5-20 should be 33% more than that, so 6.65 rounded up to 7. (ya, I'm ignoring any rounding that went into the 5)

Thinking of it a different way, 16 amps times 120 volts is 1920w, so 1920wh per hour, divided by 259 wh/mile is 7.4 miles per hour.

Does model Y come with 5-20 adapter already or do I need to purchase one?
You can likely use the 5-15 and just plug it into a 5-20 with something like this too...

You can likely use the 5-15 and just plug it into a 5-20 with something like this too...
No one would need that, though for just plugging into an outlet. All of the 5-20 outlets in homes are not just 5-20 only. They are always built with the "T" shaped slot, so they are backward compatible to take either 5-15 or 5-20 plugs.

The only potential kind of use for that is if you have a 5-20 only kind of extension cord that you need to connect to something else.

You can always use a 5-15 in the 5-20 outlet, the problem is that the Tesla charger will not pull 16 amps if you are using the 5-15 pigtail. You have to get the 5-20 pigtail (or some other adapter that tells the car more current is possible) for the car to do that.

Reactions: Rocky_H
48D1620C-E14E-45E6-BA94-86435637EA8E.jpeg

My M3 pulled consistently 8 miles an hour today FYI. House is newer, 2012 construction, so good wiring I assume. Was on a GFCI outlet too

My M3 pulled consistently 8 miles an hour today FYI. House is newer, 2012 construction, so good wiring I assume. Was on a GFCI outlet too
Youre getting 16A so you must be on a better outlet, most are 12A. 16A x 120V = 1920 W... I'm gonna use rough numbers because i'm lazy...

350mi on a 80kWh battery means ~4mi/kWh you're charging at about 2kW, so yea, 8mi/hr is about right.

Youre getting 16A so you must be on a better outlet, most are 12A. 16A x 120V = 1920 W... I'm gonna use rough numbers because i'm lazy...

350mi on a 80kWh battery means ~4mi/kWh you're charging at about 2kW, so yea, 8mi/hr is about right.
I find it interesting that Tesla massively under shoots the miles per hour on their charging speed for outlets chart. Says maximum of 4 mph for an M3 and I’m getting double that lol.

Reactions: Rocky_H and jsight
This is the outlet I use at my SIL home, get 7 mph. After an inspection we opted not to change it out. The original owner of his house had it installed.
1OhYvsy.jpg

We will be visiting over Christmas so this will come in handy keeping the car charged and conditioned while parked outside for that week.

If you will need an extension cord, be sure it is of sufficient size:

For up to 50' you need 12-guage
up to 75' 10-guage
up to 100' 8-guage
A 14 gauge extension cord would be fine for up to 50 ft and 15 amps.

A 12 gauge extension cord would be fine for up to 100 ft and 15 amps.

(10 gauge is generally the largest size wire you can find in a 120V extension cord.)

Never use a 16 gauge extension cord for charging an EV. Always use the shortest length extension cord that will reach.

Extension Cord Size Chart - Understanding Wire Gauge and Amps

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H