Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5/7/2021 Storm watch on in Tri-Valley (Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I just looked down and noticed that StormWatch turned on at around 10:30 AM. My phone says "High fire danger". Red flag warning in the area. Anyone else on StormWatch?

Update

From NWS:
...Red Flag Warning North and East Bay hills as well as East Bay
interior valleys 11 pm Friday through 6 am Monday for offshore
winds and lowering humidity...

..RED FLAG WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM PDT
MONDAY FOR OFFSHORE WINDS AND LOWERING HUMIDITY FOR THE NORTH AND
EAST BAY HILLS AS WELL AS THE INTERIOR VALLEYS OF THE EAST BAY...

The National Weather Service in San Francisco has issued a Red
Flag Warning for moderate offshore winds and lowering humidity,
which is in effect from 11 PM this evening to 6 AM PDT Monday.

* AFFECTED AREA...Fire Weather Zone 507 North Bay Mountains,
especially the Napa County hills, Fire Weather Zone 510 East
Bay Interior Valleys and Fire Weather Zone 511 East Bay Hills
and the Diablo Range.

* TIMING...11 pm Friday through 6 am Monday

* WINDS...Northerly winds 15 to 30 mph gusts 40 to 50 mph except
locally to 60 mph above 2500 feet.

* RELATIVE HUMIDITY...Lowering 20-30 percent by Saturday morning
then dropping 10-20% Saturday and Sunday afternoon with only
moderate night time recovery.

* TEMPERATURES...Highs into the 80s and lower 90s Saturday and
Sunday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...New ignitions will see rapid fire growth.

Last edited:
I think I am going to turn off Storm Watch for a while since my solar will charge the Powerwalls to 100% in an hour or so. I will turn it back on after 9 PM when we go out of peak rates. I don't want to buy any power at the peak rates!
Hopefully some day there will be an option to avoid Storm Watch during peak or to require a confirmation before charging up during peak.

Reactions: aesculus
That would be nice. But for now, the phone app makes it pretty easy to manage. I just need to add a calendar event to tell me to turn Storm Watch back on.
Yeah, whenever I see a weather alert on my phone, I set a couple alarms for start of peak and end of peak and then turn it off and back on, if necessary. Fortunately, it takes effect almost immediately. In the past, it could take up to an hour for it to notice the change, IIRC.

Nothing happening just up the road in Lafayette, although in theory we're under the same red flag warning. I turned on Stormwatch for a bit to test the waters...I'll turn it back off before the start of partial-peak.

Bruce.

PS. Great idea putting a date on the thread title...future TMC readers will thank you.

I think I am going to turn off Storm Watch for a while since my solar will charge the Powerwalls to 100% in an hour or so. I will turn it back on after 9 PM when we go out of peak rates. I don't want to buy any power at the peak rates!
I just looked at mine and it's still off from me cycling it off at the end of the last event. I'll leave it off until tomorrow AM (off peak).

WTF... this is spring time... how are we having red flag warnings?
Drought. Low rainfall over the winter and many places with stumps still smoldering from last years fires (e.g. Butano fire in Santa Cruz, and fires in the Sequoias.) So, early fire season. Our local CalFire station went to fully staffed last week.

Forecast winds are 60mph locally, with low humidity and little or no humidity recovery at night. Ideal weather for rapid fire expansion.

Res flag warnings and we all know PG&E and PSPS events....

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Drought. Low rainfall over the winter and many places with stumps still smoldering from last years fires (e.g. Butano fire in Santa Cruz, and fires in the Sequoias.) So, early fire season. Our local CalFire station went to fully staffed last week.

Forecast winds are 60mph locally, with low humidity and little or no humidity recovery at night. Ideal weather for rapid fire expansion.

All the best,

BG

Yeah, I just feel like we need some good news after 2020... but good news still seems scarce.

All the best,

BG
They already had a fire in the Santa Cruz mountains last week. They put people on it ASAP!