Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5/7 seat- second row seat recline or tilt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a refreshed MX 7 seater on order but I’ve never sat in one.

The pictures look like the same middle row seats as the previous version, from what I can tell. Assuming so, for those that have a recent build, do the second row seats recline or tilt back for passengers? There seems to be quite narrow arm rests on the fwd’s and no center arm rest. This is surprising since the new MS back seat looks like it belongs in a limo.

I know the 6 seater has a different middle row set up so I’m not asking about that one.

I have a refreshed MX 7 seater on order but I’ve never sat in one.

The pictures look like the same middle row seats as the previous version, from what I can tell. Assuming so, for those that have a recent build, do the second row seats recline or tilt back for passengers? There seems to be quite narrow arm rests on the fwd’s and no center arm rest. This is surprising since the new MS back seat looks like it belongs in a limo.

I know the 6 seater has a different middle row set up so I’m not asking about that one.
We've got an X on order and are also waiting for more information on the second row. I would assume that the 5 and 7 seater Model X would have a new 40/20/40 second row setup similar to the refreshed S. That added the second row armrest with wireless charging. It will be interesting to see if the 6 seater gets some second row changes as well.

Reactions: DIL
We've got an X on order and are also waiting for more information on the second row. I would assume that the 5 and 7 seater Model X would have a new 40/20/40 second row setup similar to the refreshed S. That added the second row armrest with wireless charging. It will be interesting to see if the 6 seater gets some second row changes as well.

Annoyingly the pictures on the website show no armrest (or gaps in the seat for one to fold down). Also the descriptive text for Model S indicates an arm rest, but Model X doesn't.

I'm guessing no armrest :(

I'm thinking about grabbing one of these

Bench Seat Cruiser Console

If they aren't touting it on the website, I'd expect no changes in back on X.

5 seater second row doesn't slide I don't think? Not sure there but I dno't think the 5 seat bench slides, just folds/reclines.At least that's what I recall from the two older ones I've driven.

7 seater slides and folds. I'm 5'11 and can comfortably sit behind "myself" in all three rows, though of course in the 3rd row it's a little bit tighter. Even with the 2nd row slid all the way forward I can cross my legs and get comfortable or whatever. And the way the geometry works out, the second row can still be reclined pretty far without hurting 3rd row legroom for me anyway, as the pivot point is high enough up that it doesn't squish your knees too much when then 2nd row is reclined. When you fold the 2nd row, you slide it all the way back to take up the gap and also because folding the 2nd row with the seats slid forward means the headrest can contact the front buckets.

There's also more 2nd row recline than we can really use with a child seat. It's a pretty wide range of motion, you can really stretch out.

Last edited:

If they only followed up on the previous images of the 2nd row, but ... no such luck. They gave us *even less* such information on the refresh. :(

...Hoping Elon's promised S/X call from the Q4 results telecon will answer these questions and more.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Annoyingly the pictures on the website show no armrest (or gaps in the seat for one to fold down). Also the descriptive text for Model S indicates an arm rest, but Model X doesn't.

I'm guessing no armrest :(
That would be my guess also. For the 7 seater, and especially the 5, having only a two split makes it easier to transform the car into a load hauler. With the second row down in my 5 seater I can easily shove bookcases and other large loads in the back and not worry about their weight.