Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Aftermarket MUSTs for new S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U should also include a hard wire radar detector

Are you are aware that the metallic windshield on the Model S blocks 90% of the radar signal?
I am a big fan of radar detectors in other vehicles ... in a Tesla a recommend the Waze app :cool:
Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

upload_2016-7-21_17-54-45.png

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Are you are aware that the metallic windshield on the Model S blocks 90% of the radar signal?

If that's true, I don't notice any difference when using my radar detector in my Tesla vs my Tahoe. I use a windshield mounted one and it's saved me a few times. Waze isn't very helpful on the highways in rural BC which is when I use my detector -- on my drive to my cabin. There's also places where radar speed signs are used on the route and it goes off at the same distance in my Tesla as it does in my Tahoe. Maybe they changed the window after 2014?

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
I see dash cams getting mentioned so often around here.

Why does everyone have one? Honest question. What benefits does it bring?

My SO is an attorney and her partner does criminal defense. He had a road rage case where the car that did the rear ending had a dash cam and he could prove the car in front pulled in front of him and immediately slammed on the brakes. Without that, he would have been at fault, instead the guy in front faced road rage and hit and run charges.

For me the first must have accessories were blue blocking screen protectors for the screens to eliminate eye strain and an ionizer to deal with the intense new car smell.

- Blackvue 650 camera
- Nanohide Cermaic Self Healing Coating: On the exterior, interior, and glass and Wheels
- Abstract ocean replacement light set 13+4
- Rear trunk cargo holder
- EV Everything: Rear Seat Console w iPad holder for movies
- Window Tint with Heat Shielding

Window tinting
Abstract ocean magnetic phone holder
Lift gate thingy (also on abstract ocean)
I agree - the magnetic phone holder (slimline and the "deluxe" version to hold an iPhone 6s+)
Also from AO, got the 4 brighter red LEDs for the doors (when doors are open), 4 brighter LEDs for trunk/frunk, and the rear license plate LEDs (I'd hope that a new S comes with these but do not know).
2 Coat hooks.
Touchup paint.
Anti-glare/fingerprint resistant 17" screen cover (AO has these as well).

Just FWI: I took delivery of my Model S in June this year and had the license plate replacement LED's ordered before I received the car.
When I went to install them, I noticed that I didn't need them. The newer MS's apparently come with brighter LED license plate bulbs from the factory.