Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first 100KWH solar production yesterday. Cool.

Have my solar installers here today to add another 15kw. So nice working with local folks and get things done fast. They wanted me to sign a PGE NEM form saying this solar meets the requirements of use. I said I would not sign since I have already told them multiple times they know what they are doing and can get approval, right. I am NOT taking responsibility!!!

You're not scared at all that you're going to have to pay a per kW fee once your NEM 2.0 grandfathering is terminated early?

The important question:

Are they going to put your new 15 kW solar on a new disconnect????
When I put the batteries in, I had to split the inverter into 2 inverters. So I had everything done with the largest inverter and disconnects. So adding the panels is real easy since the only thing happening is they connect to the existing inverters, with no changes after that. Planning for options for me REALLY has paid off in so many ways. May have them up and running by end of week. Then will see what happens with PGE. 88 panels, nuts.

When I put the batteries in, I had to split the inverter into 2 inverters. So I had everything done with the largest inverter and disconnects. So adding the panels is real easy since the only thing happening is they connect to the existing inverters, with no changes after that. Planning for options for me REALLY has paid off in so many ways. May have them up and running by end of week. Then will see what happens with PGE. 88 panels, nuts.

Boooooooo no new disconnect...

Reactions: h2ofun
What's going to happen is you're going to be able to tell PG&E to pound sand, take a long walk off a short pier, etc.

With that size system you would seem to me to be able to be independent, especially the five PWs.

Sort of like the poster with ten PWs, 15kw of solar and four wind generators or whatever that system is.

Reactions: h2ofun
What's going to happen is you're going to be able to tell PG&E to pound sand, take a long walk off a short pier, etc.

With that size system you would seem to me to be able to be independent, especially the five PWs.

Sort of like the poster with ten PWs, 15kw of solar and four wind generators or whatever that system is.
That is what I am hoping. The key is can I get enough solar in the winter to run my heat pumps. Seems most do not have to worry about this so the size of the solar and batteries totally changes compared to what I need to get off grid most of the time

That is what I am hoping. The key is can I get enough solar in the winter to run my heat pumps. Seems most do not have to worry about this so the size of the solar and batteries totally changes compared to what I need to get off grid most of the time
Should be 2,000 kwh per month-ish production total, just guessing based on being in CA.

It won't be because of lack of powerwalls I would think. A Five PW system set on a 20% reserve means 45 kwh available each night. My three PWs by comparison are only good for 32 each night, and depending on what is run at night (jacuzzi, cars charging, AC) although it makes it easily past midnight when it was not enough it was not enough by a few kwh.

As those of us know who have watched our systems, December/January is going to be when everyone wishes they had more panels!

Except H2o!! System size envy! System size envy!

I would bet you won't even care about NEM soon enough.

Last edited:
Should be 2,000 kwh per month-ish production total, just guessing based on being in CA.

It won't be because of lack of powerwalls I would think. A Five PW system set on a 20% reserve means 45 kwh available each night. My three PWs by comparison are only good for 32 each night, and depending on what is run at night (jacuzzi, cars charging, AC) although it makes it easily past midnight when it was not enough it was not enough by a few kwh.

As those of us know who have watched our systems, December/January is going to be when everyone wishes they had more panels!

Except H2o!! System size envy! System size envy!

I would bet you won't even care about NEM soon enough.
If this works out, I am hoping. But in heat pumps seem to use like 30 to 50kwh per day. I had days with solar making just 5kw for the entire day. Since all these new panels are pointing north, they will not basically nothing in the winter. But I hope in summer, it can get me NEM credits. This is why I call this now a game. At the end I could have just blown 100K. :(

If this works out, I am hoping. But in heat pumps seem to use like 30 to 50kwh per day. I had days with solar making just 5kw for the entire day. Since all these new panels are pointing north, they will not basically nothing in the winter. But I hope in summer, it can get me NEM credits. This is why I call this now a game. At the end I could have just blown 100K. :(
My next hobby is going to be figuring out how to get these utilities to change the policies.

LADWP is on straight 1 to 1. And its not tiny, like millions of users. The one thing LADWP does is that you never get "paid" for unused credits. As a result, they don't really care how big a system you put in, since they never "pay" you for electricity.

Unless I have not analyzed it yet, that is the proper incentive. I'm incentivized, on my own dime, to max out. LADWP has to give 1 to 1, but all the over producers basically give LADWP completely free energy they can turn around and sell to someone else.

Of course, all of it only "works" up to a certain percentage of adoption of rooftop solar.

My next hobby is going to be figuring out how to get these utilities to change the policies.

LADWP is on straight 1 to 1. And its not tiny, like millions of users. The one thing LADWP does is that you never get "paid" for unused credits. As a result, they don't really care how big a system you put in, since they never "pay" you for electricity.

Unless I have not analyzed it yet, that is the proper incentive. I'm incentivized, on my own dime, to max out. LADWP has to give 1 to 1, but all the over producers basically give LADWP completely free energy they can turn around and sell to someone else.

Of course, all of it only "works" up to a certain percentage of adoption of rooftop solar.
1 to 1 is just fine.

I have no issue not being paid for unused credits. I think this is the way they all should go... Its much easier to over size for the future, then to have more modules or a new system installed later.

2nd day of new panels going up. Working on wiring to my existing inverters. Will see if they are up tonight. Since already running, on they will go
panels.jpg

Reactions: Southpasfan