Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, PGE only took 2 days, instead of at least 15, and just sent me this back. I guess I must have sent them enough donuts.

"This project has passed Initial (Engineering) Review without conditions or upgrades, and has been placed in queue for review by Field Metering Ops (FMO). A FMO representative will reach out to the designated Point of Contact (POC) if a physical inspection is deemed necessary."

PTO could happen at any time if they do not want in inspection. Darn, I want to show them all my disconnects and that I am off grid 99% of the time :)

Now if only my panel upgrade goes this easily

Holeydonut, how did I miss all the fun you had? No insurance stuff. No NEM-MT stuff. No generation stuff. No not being able to charge from the grid stuff. Etc. And if they give me PTO without inspection, grand slam :)

Last edited:
Wow, PGE only took 2 days, instead of at least 15, and just sent me this back. I guess I must have sent them enough donuts.

"This project has passed Initial (Engineering) Review without conditions or upgrades, and has been placed in queue for review by Field Metering Ops (FMO). A FMO representative will reach out to the designated Point of Contact (POC) if a physical inspection is deemed necessary."

PTO could happen at any time if they do not want in inspection. Darn, I want to show them all my disconnects and that I am off grid 99% of the time :)

Now if only my panel upgrade goes this easily

Holeydonut, how did I miss all the fun you had? No insurance stuff. No NEM-MT stuff. No generation stuff. No not being able to charge from the grid stuff. Etc. And if they give me PTO without inspection, grand slam :)

Lol I really hate PG&E now. But they were screwing with me even before I really started to hate them. Like I was doing ok up until they sent someone to my house to shut my installation down and barred me from doing a partial home backup.

But don't count your chickens man... the SGIP is administrated by PG&E as well. Did you pay for your batteries out of pocket up front with a recoup expected later? Or did your installer front the 5x Powerwalls to collect the SGIP on your behalf later?

Lol I really hate PG&E now. But they were screwing with me even before I really started to hate them. Like I was doing ok up until they sent someone to my house to shut my installation down and barred me from doing a partial home backup.

But don't count your chickens man... the SGIP is administrated by PG&E as well. Did you pay for your batteries out of pocket up front with a recoup expected later? Or did your installer front the 5x Powerwalls to collect the SGIP on your behalf later?
Was just thinking, who the company installing might be a HUGE part of this. Since I believe you used sunrun, and if PGE does not like or trust them, ...

I am not declaring victory yet. Would only do that if I can get approval for more panels :)

And yes, until SGIP is done, I still have what rate plan I will be forced on.

I got a loan from installers contact for batteries. Once we get PTO, I have to start paying. I hope to just write them a check but shall see. Then the clock starts to see if and when I get any money from SGIP

Wow, was that SO easy to get PTO :)

Dear DAVID E CAMPBELL:

Congratulations on investing in a renewable energy system and joining PG&E’s Net Energy Metering (NEM) Program. We want to continue to partner with you to control your energy costs and provide you the resources needed to help protect the environment.

Your new generating system located at has permission to operate as of 05/05/2021. Although your PG&E meter is now recording the credits for your system, your first NEM bill may take up to thirty (30) business days before it is sent to you. Please turn on your system to start participating in our NEM Program. In most cases, your installer will help you turn on your system.

I have no idea if I am on NEM-PS or MT? And I have no idea yet what rate plan I will be on. But now the billing starts.

How. The. Fvch.

Like that is insane. Why is PG&E so much absolute trash to me every step of the way. Then you get some magic carpet ride to Solar Town.
I am just a nice guy :)

But, still not there yet. Need to see what happens to my rate. And how long until I get my money.

I did verify from the loan company I can pay off the loan at any time with a credit card and no fees. Since I do not have that type of credit line, I will have to pay some, go to the bank and pay off card, and repeat a number of days to get it all paid off.

I have zero idea why your process and mine seem to have been like 180 degrees different. We sure were expecting them to want to come do a site visit since how many homes have 5 batteries?

Oh well, sorry to say, but sure glad this is been pretty easy. Reason I am willing to pay them a lot more money for extra solar, since if anyone can get approval, it seems this installer might know the best path forward. Does it make sense ROI, NOPE. But if I ended up with 88 panels, like 29KW, now that would be cool and boy could I charge those batteries.

Just got a call from the installer, since I got PTO yesterday, helping me turn on the batteries and answer any questions. Was easy since everything has
been working for a while. Guess this is the last step before all this info gets sent to the loan company, and then my loan payments start. I just cannot believe how fast all this went!!! Now, if my money from SGIP comes quickly, well, but I am not assuming that. And if I get left on TOU-c, would rather since I do not have to play games and worry about the 3 to 1 cost differences at peak.

I did turn on AC on last night, and yep, pulls more from the batteries. DAH. But looks like I would be 100% fine running everything for at least 24 hours. So as long as I get sun, I should be all charged back up before Peak hits at 3pm.

Just got a call from the installer, since I got PTO yesterday, helping me turn on the batteries and answer any questions. Was easy since everything has
been working for a while. Guess this is the last step before all this info gets sent to the loan company, and then my loan payments start. I just cannot believe how fast all this went!!! Now, if my money from SGIP comes quickly, well, but I am not assuming that. And if I get left on TOU-c, would rather since I do not have to play games and worry about the 3 to 1 cost differences at peak.

I did turn on AC on last night, and yep, pulls more from the batteries. DAH. But looks like I would be 100% fine running everything for at least 24 hours. So as long as I get sun, I should be all charged back up before Peak hits at 3pm.

If you get your SGIP money before I do... I'm going to lose my bananas.

• Funny
Reactions: MJ_CA_2019
Just got called from my installer on the steps from now to finish for more solar panels. This process is going to be interesting to watch.
When folks have put in solar, at what point did folks get PGE approval to add? Before anything really started, or after they were installed?
On my first set, looks like PGE got the info after they were installed. Has anyone had an install, been denied, and had to remove panels?

I just got a recorded call saying my solar design is already done. Amazing. And if I wanted a copy to call. So I called expecting a recording this late at night,
and got a live person. (Take that Tesla!! :) ) I asked for design and he said probably Monday since folks gone. Then 10 minutes later, its in my in box. Lots perfect. Now they are saying heading to the county for approval. Am still confused but it sure moved fast these steps. The plans add another 3 strings, about 15kw. If this works, 88 panels for just under 30Kw. The new 41 panels are 350 watt panels.

I just signed the ICF form, which I assume is the SGIP stuff that gets sent to them. Mine said I had to cycle batteries 52 weeks a year for 5 years. So what has others said? The other thing interesting is the question about charging at least 75% renewable was said yes. This again for ER clearly says it is okay to charge from grid up to 25%. So technically, it seems not matter what Tesla says, if one tweaks and charges from grid, seems totally legal. I have nothing in writing from Tesla that says not legal and if one does, ones warranty is void?

This is what I would assume is the smart process, but at least in Nevada county, Calif, does not seem this is a requirement

I view it as something of a trade-off. However, since my utility promises a 15 day decision window it is not a big deal either way. My real concern is my HOA since they have refused a PV install before. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I view it as something of a trade-off. However, since my utility promises a 15 day decision window it is not a big deal either way. My real concern is my HOA since they have refused me before. Fingers crossed.
At least in Calif, HOA's I believe cannot turn down solar if it is one the roof and not tilted. At least that is how my HOA looks at it. And, there does not seem to be a limit on how many panels. If things go forward, I might be finding out if I am wrong. Would be cool to have 88 panels on my house. :)

Just finished signing all the paperwork I think needed so the installer says they can submit stuff to SGIP. Shall see what happens now. How long has it taken folks to get their money from SGIP once paperwork submitted? Did SGIP have any other questions my installer might have missed?