Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 bike rack for Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 3 kids and 5 bikes when we want to go somewhere biking. Are there hitch mount solutions that people have tried and liked for 5 mostly full sized bikes? (24" to 28")

There's a few out there that I see but I don't know how well they actually work and if they'd be too heavy for the Model X hitch.

We have 3 kids and 5 bikes when we want to go somewhere biking. Are there hitch mount solutions that people have tried and liked for 5 mostly full sized bikes? (24" to 28")

There's a few out there that I see but I don't know how well they actually work and if they'd be too heavy for the Model X hitch.
The number of bikes doesn’t matter. How much do they weigh?

Vertical hitch weight is only about 120lbs if I recall. Factor in the weight of any rack and you’re maxed out pretty quickly.

And yes, I know people have done this but that doesn’t mean it’s safe or advisable.

Reactions: ngng
Thanks for the info. After posting I remembered the 120lb weight limit and that pretty much answer the question. Basically impossible get 5 bikes and a rack under that weight. I may have to do 4 and one in the back or something, I don't know... Even that is tight.

An after market hitch is an interesting idea, but not 100% sure I want to go that route. Seems invasive and possibly dicey.

Reactions: scottf200
Hi @Nate Finch ,

I don't want to seem to be a trailer salesman but...
I have had good luck hauling some specialty items
in a 4" x 6" Utility trailer.
Sometimes called a "luggage trailer."

It fits in the air stream of the car and does not have too much impact on range.

I live in an area where many of these are manufactured.

Small Trailer .jpg

Another idea,

Shawn

An after market hitch is an interesting idea, but not 100% sure I want to go that route. Seems invasive and possibly dicey.
That's the only way to get past the tesla stock hitch weight limit. Once you transition to higher tongue weight hitch then you can...

@ShawnA - yeah, trailers are a PITA if I ever want to like... back up, or park in a normal spot. Not nearly as handy as a folding bike rack. But... definitely requires less welding than the other option :)
No welding on the drawtite. Basically remove rear windage tray and bumper cover. Bolt on hitch. Trim windage tray and reinstall everything it’s a much better design than the original.