Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 days to decide between S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've put a deposit down and have 5 days left before order is secured for a 90D Model-S. Been thinking about switching the deposit over to the X but a few comments:

1. I love the vented seats option on the X. Not sure why the S doesn't have such a basic item on a high end car.
2. I love the white seat option on the X, but I don't think I could actually pull the trigger on that if I ordered due to upkeep concerns. Both cars I would probably go black.
3. Falcon wing doors. I honestly don't get all the hype. In my opinion they will be a maintenance nightmare. Who's going to park their $100K+ SUV right next to someone to get all dinged up. Not to mention the driver must use a regular door anyway?
4. I would prefer the higher seating in the X.
5. I think I would prefer the pano roof on the S versus the tall windshield on the X.
6. Don't need 7 seats.
7. The X will be both slower and less range than the comparable S due to 500-600 more pounds.
8. I would like the upgraded air filter in the X, but not a "must have".
9. Love the LED headlights on the X versus the HID on the S.
10. Although I probably very rarely use it, having the ability to tow with the X is a nice option.
11. The higher ground clearance on the X would be nice for steep driveways and off-the-beaten-path.
12. The biggest issue for me is the X's looks. Definitely designed for the soccer-mom and a bit frumpy, especially compared to the S. Look's like a rounded off Pontiac Aztec.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the S versus the X or did similar comparison? The ~$5,000 extra isn't much concern for me, but of course going to the back of the X line would.

Last edited:
Anyone else have any thoughts on the S versus the X or did similar comparison? The ~$5,000 extra isn't much concern for me, but of course going to the back of the X line would.

Based on what you've posted, I see nothing that implies you should change to a MX order. The main benefit that it offers - more passenger seating - didn't even make your list. There's plenty you don't like about it.

I'm a MX reservation holder, but I already own a MS. If I were choosing between the two, it would be crystal clear which one I'd get. MS all the way.

The main question is do you want a car now or a year from now? If you order the Model S you get it this year. If you reserve a Model X it will likely be another year until you get it.

If you don't need all the seating, there is little reason to wait for the Model X. If you have a steep driveway, get the air suspension option on the S and you'll be fine. With regard to amenities like ventilated seas, you will find this discussed ad nauseum in other threads but Model S is not a typical high end or luxury car. The price is in that range because you're paying for the EV aspect, not for a luxurious interior. It all depends on which is important to you. I'll take my Model S over a "luxurious" ICE any day.

I am considering Model X for my wife. But for me, I am Model S all the way. The only feature that jumps out at me on X is the ventilated seats - and that is pretty minor (I just park the car with the back end to the sun, and pre-cool the car with the phone app in the summer).

Why I am considering an X for her is to get what I don't have (autopilot, parking sensors, next gen seats) so her car will be more "family trip" friendly - not that my car isn't ...but....Autopilot!

I have vented seats in my current car. They are OK and perhaps have less stickiness than regular. When I first saw ventilated seats a decade ago my first impression was that they were tacky looking and cheap.

I prefer the look of the standard seats though. I think I would rather have the enhanced seats of the MS versus the seats in the MX.

3. Falcon wing doors. I honestly don't get all the hype. In my opinion they will be a maintenance nightmare. Who's going to park their $100K+ SUV right next to someone to get all dinged up. Not to mention the driver must use a regular door anyway?

It's a really common misconception that the doors purpose is so that you can get out close to other cars. The doors purpose is to provide a big opening for easy ingress and egress. The demo of parking near other cars is simply to show that they don't have a wide opening arc.

The X is the same width as the S.

(How could it be significantly different, with the same battery pack?)
Although I don't think the official specs have been published yet, the Model X is definitely a little wider than the Model S. Lyon said he saw a PDF of a spec sheet on the X at one of the service centers. Here's his post about that:

Model X Configuration has begun! - Page 34

From this, it appears that the overall length of the Model X is 198" (2 inches longer than the S), overall width with mirrors extended is 89.4" (3.2 inches wider than the Model S), and height to top with FW doors closed is 66.3" with ground clearance of 7.2" (though the height is variable and adjustable with air suspension).

So the Model X is around three inches wider than the S with mirrors extended. The Model S shrinks down from 86.2" wide to about 77.3" wide when mirrors are folded (saving 8.9" in width), but I haven't seen a firm estimate on the Model X width with mirrors folded. We may have to wait for a final spec sheet to be published for that. I'm hoping the width is not much more than 80 inches with mirrors closed as I have a really narrow driveway with walls on both sides. I'm guessing it will be around 81" or 82" with mirrors folded, but we shall see. Definitely looking forward to having a car with proximity sensors!

Last edited:
So, I've put a deposit down and have 5 days left before order is secured for a 90D Model-S. Been thinking about switching the deposit over to the X but a few comments:

1. I love the vented seats option on the X. Not sure why the S doesn't have such a basic item on a high end car.
2. I love the white seat option on the X, but I don't think I could actually pull the trigger on that if I ordered due to upkeep concerns. Both cars I would probably go black.
4. I would prefer the higher seating in the X.
5. I think I would prefer the pano roof on the S versus the tall windshield on the X.
6. Don't need 7 seats.
7. The X will be both slower and less range than the comparable S due to 500-600 more pounds.
8. I would like the upgraded air filter in the X, but not a "must have".
9. Love the LED headlights on the X versus the HID on the S.
10. Although I probably very rarely use it, having the ability to tow with the X is a nice option.
11. The higher ground clearance on the X would be nice for steep driveways and off-the-beaten-path.
12. The biggest issue for me is the X's looks. Definitely designed for the soccer-mom and a bit frumpy, especially compared to the S. Look's like a rounded off Pontiac Aztec.

You scored 6 out of 12 points for the X, same for the S ... It's a Tie so get both! :wink:

From this, it appears that the overall length of the Model X is 198" (2 inches longer than the S), overall width with mirrors extended is 89.4" (3.2 inches wider than the Model S), and height to top with FW doors closed is 66.3" with ground clearance of 7.2" (though the height is variable and adjustable with air suspension).

So the Model X is around three inches wider than the S with mirrors extended.

You'll note I said "significantly different". I will bet that the width of the X is exactly the same as that of the S at the battery pack level. Perhaps the sides flare out more at mid-level, but even that is not certain. (The mirrors might extend further out simply because the X can tow, whereas the S cannot). The comment I replied to said "I'd add X is wider which leads to bigger seats" - I very much doubt that there's any significant difference in seat width. Even if it's 3" wider, a whopping 1.5" on each side.

But you're right, we don't know the official specs yet.

Not exactly the same, but the workaround for the vented seats is preconditioning with the phone app on hot days. I think the 90D is the sweet spot for performance, range and price - go for it.

+1 to the above. I worried a little about missing out on an X when I ordered by S. 90D has been great, and it has the longest range of any current mass market EV, including the X as you point out. Someday I would like to have an EV that I am comfortable taking off road. Maybe a used X in the future.

I cancelled my MX reservation & picked up my new S on Halloween & couldn't be happier. So glad to be enjoying the Tesla experience now instead of a year or more from now.
The grey next-gen seat color is very light - reads as white but not blindingly white. Absolute white might be a problem in causing added glare on the 17" screen, IMO.

You can drive an S before year end.
If you buy an X you can have it........soon.......
The way the X is going you could wear out a S waiting. I have. 35,000 miles on S cars bought while waiting for the X. I ordered a P85+ in 2013 because I didn't want to wait for our X order. My wife took over the first S in May of 2013. Then Tesla came out with the dang P85D with no X yet in sight. So between the + and the D I have now racked up 35,000 S miles waiting for the X ordered in early 2013.