TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

5 Days with my new Model S 75

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Mknac, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Mknac

Mknac Member

Ok, I love the car. Awesome. Buyers remorse gone.

Here are a couple things in no particular order.

Tesla Premium Luxury Electric Vehicle – emphasis on premium. High on cost. Low on what most people would consider luxury items.

Negative:

Serious negative that Tesla needs to address:

- No cell phone integration what so ever. No joke. You actually have to stream using blue tooth and press the buttons on your phone if you want to play a song or play list etc.

- BLIS is absolutely horrible. Of no use in parking lots or on the highway.

Chicken *sugar* negative:

- Seriously how do you build a car that doesn’t have a Sirius radio standard?

- Can’t change the color of ambient lighting

- No coat hangers in the rear

- Seat doesn’t move back when you put it in park

- No sunglass holder built

- Not sure about the automatic wipers, didn’t work when it rained

- No lights for vanity mirror

Positive:

- Absolutely gorgeous car

- Acceleration is incredible and smooth

- Power regeneration – hardly use the brakes

- Steering and handling great

- Basic sound system is pretty darn good. If you’re an audiofile/can hear notes/frequencies that only dogs can hear or want real heavy bass get the premium sound.

- Google maps is good (at least so far for me)

- Voice commands, those that are there work well

- I like the mirrors tilting down for backing in my garage and them folding

- Slacker is good. Still looking for channels I like. Learning new channels.

- TuneIn – good for listening to Ravens football games on the home channel. Had Sirius for 10 years now so I’m not really interested in terrestrial radio stations. Need to cancel Sirius or get the iPhone app. (someone remind me in a few days to cancel lol) I miss Dr. Laura on Stars; tough love.

- Multi-pattern seats are good. I test drove both Multi- and next gen. My ass couldn’t tell the difference. Only my eyes could see they looked different. (next gen was tighter on my sides)

- 17 inch touch screen awesome

2. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@Mknac,

Thanks for the review! By MultiPattern do you mean Textile? So they give the same support as NextGens but the side bolstering is better on the NG's? I've only sat in the NextGens.

Ski

3. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Your vanity mirrors don't have lights? Mine do.i have a 90D

4. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

BLIS?

Sirius? - you mean people still listen to that? Didn't they go bankrupt or something? j/k

I understand the cell phone complaint but USB works great for your own collection and Slacker works fine for streaming. What I do miss, is the guarantee my cell phone is in the car when the music turned on.... Other than that, I don't really care.

Give the nav time, you will hate it. Strangely mine was really good in NC. Then a map update came and now I really can't trust it. Was leaving Wilmington, NC and it routed me around the block for no reason. Unfortunately it was Sunday at 11:30. Took 10 minute detour. Never again.

If I had to give the same review 16 months in, the Nav is the worst thing. The buggy software comes next. Ambient light color change - ha.

5. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I agree about the Nav. I reported the lagginess to Tesla and they denied it happening at all.

It'll tell me to turn long after I've turned and often the routes it suggests me to take on places I frequent often are just whacky. I wish it gave me a few different options like my * ahem * Toyota Camry did.

6. Dan43

Dan43 Member

New S75D due in 10 days time, obvious question how has the range been a few days in for reference.

And for new up and coming owners my own questions to myself before owning are :

Detailing and paint coating/scotch 3m for example
    Rear seat cup holders/centre console options (Evannex I believe)
    Upgrade of Audio and HiRes playback (answered I think)
    Powder coating standard 19" wheels

I saw the rear Executive Seats in an older S image here on TMC and really liked them, not available now wonder if that may return in time?

7. ebyard

ebyard Member

Very interested to hear about range, like Dan43. My S75 is due in about 2 months.

Does your phone work fine for making/receiving calls? Streaming music I couldn't care less about, really.

8. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Being a "tech company" - having bad phone integration seems inappropriate enough. I hope AP wasn't designed to get around having to fiddle with phones often to do things like play songs. Maybe if phones were highly integrated, no AP would be needed? :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Mknac

Mknac Member

Right now I'm at 199 miles for a 80% charge. I haven't had a need to charge higher than 8%. When I picked it up I had 248 miles. I don't recall the % but guess that was 100% or close to it.

Last time I checked my power usage I was at 265 kilowatts per mile. I'm not sure if that is about right or high compared to other MS drivers. Perhaps that will get lower as I become a better MS driver or log some long highway drives.

10. Mknac

Mknac Member

Yes, the phone works great for making and receiving calls. Haven't really dived into the calendar but I notice an event from my phone showed up.

11. Rahul

Rahul Member

That's pretty good. When I get my S75 a few weeks ago I just kept punching it every chance I got. :D I think I was probably in the high 300s if not 400s, haha.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Dan43

Dan43 Member

Man maths below warning :
    265 kw p/m gets 283 miles on 100% charge, so that sounds very good. Tesla promote 304 miles per 100% charge here which is equal to 246 kw p/m which from some other posts appears very good if you can manage it.

199 miles at 80% would get 239 at 100%.

Like you say is there an MS driving style that you naturally adopt to get the best range and kw p/m averages :) I'll find out soon.

13. Mknac

Mknac Member

:)

14. Ormond

Ormond Member

I really like the BLIS (Blind spot warning) in Mercedes and Audi. I've grown to rely on it. I hope I can live without that and massaging front seats.

• Like x 1
  15. Mknac

Mknac Member

My last couple Fords had great BLIS. Can't tell you how many times they saved me in parking lots. I usually back in but for groceries I would pull in. Backing out seems always somebody going 30 mph in the parking lot..

• Like x 1
  16. Ormond

Ormond Member

I had a Fusion Hybrid with BLIS, so I understand. I'd prefer not to look at the instrument cluster, the mirrors make more sense for blind spots.

I guess each vehicle has compromises.

• Like x 1
  17. Mknac

Mknac Member

I'm adjusting to no BLIS but do miss it. I think BLIS is an important safety feature that should be standard equipment on all new cars. I must admit that Ford's BLIS is so good I became very dependent on it. No yellow light change lanes. As I mentioned very helpful in parking lots as it registered cars, people and grocery carts.

18. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

I am with you on a couple of those. I don't hear my text message alerts when its plugged into the phone dock and bluetooth on. It's odd.

Other than that though, i wish the seat went a tad lower being 6'4 and yes I'd enjoy it moving back on park as well.

I am loving Slacker though so no need for Sirius for me.

Good input

19. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

Counterpoint: working in tech, I cannot tell you the number of things that don't integrate properly. This is the least surprising and most "tech company" thing Tesla does - "F it, our stuff works together. Figure it out at the edges."

• Like x 1
  20. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I am about 345 kw p/m. Maybe I aught to slow it down but I just can't help myself. I have already hit 100 mph 3 times in a week. It's a fun driving car and I have not needed to conserve as of yet

• Like x 1