Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Elon tweeted that all cars will get the power increase so take it for what its worth:

View attachment 387418

Interesting still that the LR and AWD-P officially show the improvements on the web site for top speed, 0-60, and range. But nothing changed for the AWD (non-P). Unfortunately, that makes you think the AWD might have been left out of the upgrades, which is disappointing.

Interesting still that the LR and AWD-P officially show the improvements on the web site for top speed, 0-60, and range. But nothing changed for the AWD (non-P). Unfortunately, that makes you think the AWD might have been left out of the upgrades, which is disappointing.
Yes, but Elon and the press release said the upgrade is coming to "all cars". I wouldn't be surprised if AWD non-P gets the same upgrade as the others, but they leave it off of the website so as to avoid cannibalizing P3D sales.

This tweet is specifically in response to someone asking about LR AWD non-P- and Elon specifically mentioning it will be getting the 5% bump

Elon Musk on Twitter

Only if you don't take the time to look at the dyno graphs we have for the LR D vs the P. Sorry I don't have the link to the thread here, I just have the PDFs I downloaded. It shows that the D's peak HP was already nearly 60mph, although the curve was flat from about 40mph to 60mph and quite flat past that, too. Contrast to the P where the peak HP is lower, about 50mph, and is falling off past. Because of that if Tesla has increased the peak HP simply by sliding the torque curve "left" (AKA shifting the torque at a given level to a roughly 5% higher RPM) it wouldn't affect the D 0-60 nearly as much as it affects the P. It will instead show up in 50-70 and 50-90 times.

Whether you care about that or not is specific to you.

Yes... but my specific model is the Model 3 Performance (which is AWD, but may not have been the model you were asking about).
Oh right yes :)
Only if you don't take the time to look at the dyno graphs we have for the LR D vs the P. Sorry I don't have the link to the thread here, I just have the PDFs I downloaded. It shows that the D's peak HP was already nearly 60mph, although the curve was flat from about 40mph to 60mph and quite flat past that, too. Contrast to the P where the peak HP is lower, about 50mph, and is falling off past. Because of that if Tesla has increased the peak HP simply by sliding the torque curve "left" (AKA shifting the torque at a given level to a roughly 5% higher RPM) it wouldn't affect the D 0-60 nearly as much as it affects the P. It will instead show up in 50-70 and 50-90 times.

Whether you care about that or not is specific to you.

I've read that they might uncork awd now and that's why theres no upgrade via the update..
purchase upgrade.. Just speculations tho, what do you guys think?

Reactions: phantasms
I've read that they might uncork awd now and that's why theres no upgrade via the update..
giphy-6.gif

I think you should at least link to or otherwise cite the source of what you read.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MagnusMako
The optimist in me thinks they're going to decide how big the boost is based on the 340xis official 0-60 time, so really rooting for BMW here

Well, if the MR got 10% increase (it appears to have got that much at least), someone has to get 0% to get back to the promised "average of approximately 5%" (are they calculating a weighted average based on sales volume, or is it just the average amongst the several models???)! Maybe it will be the lucky AWD owners!

The weird part is the 340xi is listed as only being down ~40hp from the M3. Not sure how much Tesla can boost the 3 AWD without really stepping on the P's toes.

Isn't that the same situation as BMW with the 340 and M3? The dual motor model 3 should really only be about a half second to three-quarters of a second slower than the performance model. Especially since the cost difference was only $5,000 after refunding the cost of the PUP pkg.

Reactions: Stellavator
If we take the announcement literally, it only increased peak HP by 5%. This means:

no change to 0-20 mph
slightly quicker 0-60 mph
5% better passing 45mph on up. I say this because I think the torque/hp curves will be similar to now in that the peak HP will remain constant all the way to top speed but there are a number of ways to increase peak power by 5% without doing that.

Considerably better 1/4 mile times. The amateur drag racers are going to like this (and they didn't need to buy a new air intake, full flow exhaust/muffler or a new chip)!

I'd guess that a best possible time in the quarter might drop to 11.5 at ~118 mph trap speed.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The new BMW M340i has 380HP and does 0-60 in 4.2 sec. The new BMW M3 has 450HP and does 0-60 in 3.7 sec. I think that(0.5 sec) is a good spread between 0-60 times for the Model 3 Performance and Dual Motor. Since the Model 3P is at 3.2 sec now, it would make sense to drop the DM down to like 3.7 sec. Especially with the BMW M340i doing it in 4.2 sec. And BMW usually underestimates their #'s so it will probably be more like 4.0 sec.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
Got my update the other day. Haven't had a chance to see if I can feel it, but I doubt I will.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but I swear the motors are louder.
Oh right yes :)

As a stockholder and P3D owner if Tesla wants to unlock AWD performance for a reasonable (i.e. doesn't provide same performance for the same price or cheaper) I'm good with that.