Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 miles battery drain in a parked car per day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 miles battery drain in a parked car per day. I charged the car with 250 miles and didn't use the car for a day. Now I see the miles remaining as 245 miles. Is this normal or should I check this with SC?

Thanks,

I tested over 4 day vacation recently, miles went from 70 to 60 (WiFi always on, car not plugged into HPWC)

It might depend on state of charge and other things you have turned on.....

old |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.12.1.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that. Also, I observed that the car lights are getting switched on randomly and is getting unlocked in the garage. Not sure if this is the cause of the battery drain. Also, the vipers are moving when I start the car inside the garage.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that. Also, I observed that the car lights are getting switched on randomly and is getting unlocked in the garage. Not sure if this is the cause of the battery drain. Also, the vipers are moving when I start the car inside the garage.

Are you walking around with the keys in your pocket? It might be detecting your keys from the garage and waking up occasionally. In my experience battery drain is roughly one mile per day, so five seems a bit steep.

Are you walking around with the keys in your pocket? It might be detecting your keys from the garage and waking up occasionally. In my experience battery drain is roughly one mile per day, so five seems a bit steep.
No. I kept the car key inside the house, but near the garage. Not sure if that is detecting. But it remains locked when I kept the keys inside and randomly unlocks. I thought the same about the drain. I will check with the SC on this and will update the thread.

Is this a 2019 MX? For my 2016 model, if I have energy saving on in the display settings, I lose 4 miles a day and if it's off I lose 9-10 miles a day. I understand the newer models do better in terms of energy usage. "'Cabin Overheat Protection" and Sentry mode can also impact vampire drain significantly.

Is this a 2019 MX? For my 2016 model, if I have energy saving on in the display settings, I lose 4 miles a day and if it's off I lose 9-10 miles a day. I understand the newer models do better in terms of energy usage. "'Cabin Overheat Protection" and Sentry mode can also impact vampire drain significantly.
2018 november. sentry mode is off in the garage. But, I set the AC on when the doors locked and I am away if the keys are inside the car. I will check if this option is causing any of this as I assumed that it works only if the keys are inside the car.

Yes, this is normal. Don't sweat it. Mine loses 4-7 miles per night, have seen as high as 12 in cold weather. My understanding this is Tesla making sure to test/condition the batteries to ensure maximum battery lifetime. This drain is a good thing: go read about the Leaf where it does not have overnight drain but the battery life is abysmal. Folks spend a lot of time worrying and complaining about this in online postings, but none of us are privy to the extensive engineering that has been performed that makes Tesla batteries second to none. Give Tesla the credit they deserve for getting the battery life right.

Yes, this is normal. Don't sweat it. Mine loses 4-7 miles per night, have seen as high as 12 in cold weather. My understanding this is Tesla making sure to test/condition the batteries to ensure maximum battery lifetime. This drain is a good thing: go read about the Leaf where it does not have overnight drain but the battery life is abysmal. Folks spend a lot of time worrying and complaining about this in online postings, but none of us are privy to the extensive engineering that has been performed that makes Tesla batteries second to none. Give Tesla the credit they deserve for getting the battery life right.
So per day 5 miles and per month we loose 180 miles without driving. :)

If you have an older Model S/X with MCU1, check that Energy Saving mode is on and turn Stay Connected off. My "vampire drain" is only 2-3 rated miles a day with those settings.

Note: for a newer MCU2 vehicle, those settings might not be available.

Edit: also, make sure your key fobs are nowhere near the car. If in doubt, try keeping the fob in an old Altoids tin, or a Faraday bag.

Last edited:
If you have an older Model S/X with MCU1, check that Energy Saving mode is on and turn Stay Connected off. My "vampire drain" is only 2-3 rated miles a day with those settings.

Edit: also, make sure your key fobs are nowhere near the car. If in doubt, try keeping the fob in an old Altoids tin, or a Faraday bag.

Its a 2018 Nov build 100D. I will keep the key fobs far from the garage and observe for few days.

Interesting. I've done all of these things except disabling cabin overheat protection, but I still burn through ~10 miles overnight every night, so probably ~15–20 miles per day.