Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-Minute Sign & Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to take a microscope to look for scratches under the bumper and on the tires - I am sure you can do that.

This is for the rest of us who want to simply drive off and learn other features on our own.

To be fair, I’m not necessarily bothered by this, but it’s definitely not for those who want to “do it on their own.” It’s solely to alleviate the biggest bottleneck remaining to the Model 3 process.

I’d wish we’d actually get a manual/tutorial on the car screen itself. Yes, I know it can be seen online prior, but to me (as Tesla scales), watching it on the car once you take delivery makes a lot of sense.

Not sure watching it on the car works unless you’re looking for a real time demo? The owners manual or the videos on your tablet/phone in the car next to the real thing so you can try things out I’d think would be ideal. I used that (PDF of Model X manual) in my X at the beginning to see if I knew what I was doing or not. :D

The built in manual, as in the 3, takes over the screen, so sorta hard to do both at the same time.

I know back when they talked about in-car training but not sure they meant this (ridiculous to me) 30 second videos or what. The S and X had longer videos which were more useful.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
Not sure watching it on the car works unless you’re looking for a real time demo? The owners manual or the videos on your tablet/phone in the car next to the real thing so you can try things out I’d think would be ideal. I used that (PDF of Model X manual) in my X at the beginning to see if I knew what I was doing or not. :D

The built in manual, as in the 3, takes over the screen, so sorta hard to do both at the same time.

I know back when they talked about in-car training but not sure they meant this (ridiculous to me) 30 second videos or what. The S and X had longer videos which were more useful.

Agreed, something that takes over the screen is sub-optimal. But as an experience designer, there’s definitely ways to solve for it that could make it work and still allow access to the functions you’re learning about.

Also, I’m only pontificating about the future (at scale) based on the new delivery process announced. In no way shape or form am I advocating for this as a priority over building cars and/or more critical improvements to the overall software. :p

Reactions: boaterva
To be fair, I’m not necessarily bothered by this, but it’s definitely not for those who want to “do it on their own.” It’s solely to alleviate the biggest bottleneck remaining to the Model 3 process.

I’d wish we’d actually get a manual/tutorial on the car screen itself. Yes, I know it can be seen online prior, but to me (as Tesla scales), watching it on the car once you take delivery makes a lot of sense.
I thought the manual was available in car. Is that not the case?

Tesla streamlines Model 3 customers delivery process with 5-minute sign and drive.

So much for 15 minutes. Better do your vehicle checks lickety-split.

To be fair, my delivery was about 5-10 minutes of car overview and paper work spread over 2 hours, so this just seems to get rid of the waiting between things.

Vehicle inspection in the "showroom" at the Fremont Delivery Center was near impossible because of the lighting. So they just suggested inspecting it once you got your car in the parking lot. Once outside you can inspect, if everything is fine drive away, or if you find some issues just walk back inside and have them document it. Seemed to work ok.

To be fair, my delivery was about 5-10 minutes of car overview and paper work spread over 2 hours, so this just seems to get rid of the waiting between things.

Vehicle inspection in the "showroom" at the Fremont Delivery Center was near impossible because of the lighting. So they just suggested inspecting it once you got your car in the parking lot. Once outside you can inspect, if everything is fine drive away, or if you find some issues just walk back inside and have them document it. Seemed to work ok.
Unless you have a keen eye and you see something that makes you want to reject the car after you've already paid for it once outside. I know someone who just got their car last Friday and after he got it home he noticed some overspray on the roof and the windshield wiper. Clearly part of the car had been repainted.

I had my car dropped off at my house and the lady who came was only there for about 5 minutes. Seems like the experience I got is the experience of the future. For me I didn't really care because I already knew almost everything about the car from all my research. For an average person, I would imagine that they would like more than 5 minutes to ask questions. A lot of people are not tech savvy and would prefer not figuring it out for themselves.

I don't see it as a problem. First of all, with the number of cars that Tesla is trying to deliver to customers, Tesla simply does not have time to waste so they need to make the delivery process as efficient as possible. Second, the 5 mn time frame is not a hard limit but rather a goal that Tesla aims for. I am sure they will spend more than 5 minutes with some and less than 5 minutes with others. Third, my Tesla rep told me that they do prep the car before delivery so Tesla does check the car first to make sure it is good. Tesla is not skipping out on QC just to pump out deliveries as quickly as possible. Tesla will do their due diligence to make sure the cars are good. And I am sure they will spend more time with a customer who really needs it. The 5 minutes is just a benchmark to try to cut out the parts of the delivery experience that are inefficient and wasteful.

I don't see it as a problem. First of all, with the number of cars that Tesla is trying to deliver to customers, Tesla simply does not have time to waste so they need to make the delivery process as efficient as possible. Second, the 5 mn time frame is not a hard limit but rather a goal that Tesla aims for. I am sure they will spend more than 5 minutes with some and less than 5 minutes with others. Third, my Tesla rep told me that they do prep the car before delivery so Tesla does check the car first to make sure it is good. Tesla is not skipping out on QC just to pump out deliveries as quickly as possible. Tesla will do their due diligence to make sure the cars are good. And I am sure they will spend more time with a customer who really needs it. The 5 minutes is just a benchmark to try to cut out the parts of the delivery experience that are inefficient and wasteful.
I'd be impressed if they can really get it down to 5 minutes. People can't even finish ordering at In-N-Out in 5 minutes.

I'd be impressed if they can really get it down to 5 minutes. People can't even finish ordering at In-N-Out in 5 minutes.

Probably not but it is obviously the goal that Tesla has set for itself. Once again, Tesla sets the bar pretty high.

I do think the 5mn time is more to ensure the delivery center is organized and doesn't make customers wait a long time for no reason, more than rushing customers through checking their cars. Again, Tesla is just trying to be efficient and organized in their delivery process because they know it is important if they want to hit their delivery benchmarks each quarter. After all, you can produce all the cars in the world, but if you can't deliver them to customers in a timely manner, you will still fail. Tesla fixed the production bottlenecks, now they are trying to make sure they don't create delivery bottlenecks.

I just pick up last night, car was ready to go,two signatures and I was ready to leave. Stayed for an extra 20 mins as my wife wanted a walkthrough of how to operated. Sales rep was awesome and more that’ll happy to take as much time as we needed. Also car is amazing and my once skeptical wife is now in love... with the car that is, curse you Elon musk now we have to order a second model 3...

I just pick up last night, car was ready to go,two signatures and I was ready to leave. Stayed for an extra 20 mins as my wife wanted a walkthrough of how to operated. Sales rep was awesome and more that’ll happy to take as much time as we needed. Also car is amazing and my once skeptical wife is now in love... with the car that is, curse you Elon musk now we have to order a second model 3...

Where in WI are you located? Did you accept delivery in Highland Park?

Tesla streamlines Model 3 customers delivery process with 5-minute sign and drive.

So much for 15 minutes. Better do your vehicle checks lickety-split.
Read what you post

"enable owners to drive away with their new electric car in as little as five minutes"

In other words, they are shortening the process the customers often don't care about, the paperwork. Some folks have done their homework and don't need the 2 hour "here is how you press the gas, whoops accelerator pedal speech."

Reactions: diplomat33

It's a small fraction of what other car manufactures deliver ... breaking news :rolleyes: