Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Month Model X Experience + Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Today marks my 5 month anniversary with the Tesla Model X, I created a video of my experience with the X and Tesla. (Including Build Quality)

Appreciate any feedback and please subscribe to the channel for subsequent videos and follow the channel on Twitter.

Check out my dashcam install: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1690187/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video. I am still on the fence between Model S or BMW/MB. With the federal tax credit, I am planning to buy the Model S instead of lease, it's concerning in owning high price car with build quality and having to do service 3x in 5 months.
With my lease bmw, I only went about every yr for free oil change.
Advise pls
Thanks

Thanks for the video. I am still on the fence between Model S or BMW/MB. With the federal tax credit, I am planning to buy the Model S instead of lease, it's concerning in owning high price car with build quality and having to do service 3x in 5 months.
Advise pls
Thanks
Have you test drove the MB/BMW and the model s? Which model of MB/BMW are you looking at?

There are a lot of complains on this forum but also many satisfied customers who don't frequent the forums. However, do remember the problems people reported are real. It depends how much you can tolerate fit and finishes.. noises.

Of the the several years I've had MB/BMW they were problems-free for the most part. I still have a E92 M3 that's 6 years old now with zero issue since day 1. Now my dad drives it as it's still in pristine condition.

I personally don't really care about those minor exterior issues as long as it doesn't interfere with my everyday driving. However I did have a FWD issue on my delivery day of my model X and they drove the car back to my home. No problems so far but it's only been a month.

My parents just got the new E300. Very nice car inside and out. Very good fit and finishes. However, took it in twice already because the garage door opening would lose its codings after restart. First time last month they said it's the first E300 they see at service and they just did some resets. It didn't work. I went home and online to find there's an open service campaign for it. I finally got a chance to take it back in again yesterday, pointing out the service campaign, and so they updated the software per the campaign. I have yet to test if it's working.

Can't comment on the new 530. We currently still have a 2014 535i that's also been flawless. Very good quality inside and out. I can imagine the new one even better, but as with all car manufacturers the first year model is always prone to problems.

Advise pls
Thanks

Based on the 3 Model S loaners I received, build quality is pretty solid.

I agree regarding the first yr model bugs, Model S hopefully passed this issues already. My other concern is that model S bodystyle been the same since 2012, when will they restyle

They did a facelift recently do i would expect redesign in 2019. Im coming from a flawless porsche into the model x. Had my doubts like you, now I would never go to porsche again after tesla ownership.

They did a facelift recently do i would expect redesign in 2019. Im coming from a flawless porsche into the model x. Had my doubts like you, now I would never go to porsche again after tesla ownership.
What's keeping you from going to Porsche again? Is it just the EV experience? What else does Tesla offer? Thanks to Tesla luxury car manufacturers are starting to take EV seriously. The Porsche mission E looks awesome inside and out and it's going to production. I had a Cayman S before and it's one of the best cars I have ever owned. The build quality was top notch.

When there are more EVs on the market to choose I don't see any reason to stick with Tesla.

I hit 5 months a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad I leased it!

I'm sort of wishing I had made that choice. When I first ran the numbers I thought the Tesla buyback price was pretty low, even figuring in that there would be new products coming down the line. I hadn't figured that AP 2.0 would be something that would be non-retrofittable (e.g. I thought 2.0 or 1.x might use the second camera wiring that was already in the X), announced only a few months after my car became available, and be offered in the some model year.

The Supercharger network is Tesla's biggest advantage. You can't drive a Porsche or Audi with a 300-mile range to SF from LA (or vice versa).
Yeah - I really wonder how that is going to play out. From a business perspective, there are few reasons for Tesla to allow access to their Superchargers. I wonder if it might be bit more like Europe where there might ultimately be one standardized network of fast chargers for all car companies except for Tesla that they all share in the costs of deploying.