TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

5 Myths About Energy in America

Discussion in 'News' started by NigelM, Oct 27, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/10/27/5-myths-about-energy-in-america/

:rolleyes:

Fire away....

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

#2 efusco, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
    OMG! ""[T]he world has decades of further production growth before flattening out into a plateau -- perhaps sometime around mid-century -- at which time a more gradual decline will begin."

And this is "OK"--we've got until the mid-Century!? That's freaking scary as hell! My children will be middle age. My grandchildren will be young children. Let's just pretend the problem doesn't exist today and dump in in the laps of our grandchildren to solve--freaking brilliant plan.

I don't know anyone who think that his "Myth"s #2 and #4 are true.

#3--yea, we're conserving more, but we still use more than anywhere else.

#5--not the immediate future, but a good goal to work toward.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Oct 27, 2011

Hard to argue for or against a "crystal-ball" prediction, but I have seen others suggest they think higher than 3%...
    Let's check back later and see if Nissan's Ghosn is closer to the mark...
    Ghosn: 10% Electric Cars by 2020
    Carlos Ghosn: EVs could account 10 percent of global sales in 2020
    Dont Tell Tesla: In 2020, Sales Of Electric Vehicles Will Be Less Than 8% Of The Global Market | TechCrunch

(I suppose the numbers depend on your definition of 'electric vehicle'. Do you include REEVs like the Volt? Plug-in-hybrids like the Plug-in-Prius?)

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yergin though attempts a self-fulfilling argument: we have plenty of oil, and don't worry about the middle east, so he isn't sure that electric cars will gain traction.....

5. richkae

richkae VIN587

#5 richkae, Oct 27, 2011
    Myth No. 1: The world is about to run out of oil.

This is my favorite because it is irrelevant. What is relevant is that demand is growing and supply can not keep up. The most accurate statement about supply is that the cost of the new oil supply is increasing dramatically. Those two things combine to mean oil prices rise and rise dramatically.

We will *never* "run out" of oil. At some point the oil remaining in the ground will be more expensive to pump up and use than an alternate energy source. Whoever takes advantage of and controls the alternate energy sources first will benefit the most.
    That situation is going to arrive while there is still a LOT of oil in the ground.

6. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

#1 - The Tupi oil field (as an example) was discovered in 2006. At that time it was "the largest oil discovery in 30 years". How much oil does it contain? Enough oil to meet global supply for...........................three months.

#2 - No matter were the oil comes from, the fact is we're going to run out of oil at some point.

#4 - This one depends on too many factors, in my opinion, to call either way.

#5 - They won't become our greatest source of energy for sometime, possibly never, but every bit of renewable energy produced (instead of non-renewable) helps.

7. richkae

richkae VIN587

From that article:
    J.D. Power says from their research, a very clear, dominant demographic emerged: “buyers of HEVs and BEVs are generally older, more highly educated (possessing a postgraduate degree), high-income individuals who have a deep interest in technology, or who like to be among the early adopters of any new technology product.”

How about providing the data without coloring it with their biased conclusions? Here is my biased conclusion: "Buyers of HEVs and BEVs are generally more highly educated people who can do math and see that the long term cost and total cost of ownership of the HEV or BEV is much less than an ICE."

8. bolosky

bolosky Member

In other words, the early adopters of EV are....early adopters! It doesn't seem safe to conclude from this that only early adopter types will ever buy them, however.

9. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

That article is pretty much guaranteed to be sponsored by big oil.....

10. zack

zack Member

That "article" is an ad. Read to this paragraph:

One thing we do know for sure is that there are incredible opportunities for investors right now within the energy sector. To learn more about one idea that we're particularly excited about, take a look at this free report, which highlights the "one energy stock you'll ever need." It's completely free -- click here to get your report right now.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#11 TEG, Oct 27, 2011
    That article seems to be a quote fest from Daniel Yergin's report.

Here is another story about his work:
    Can Big Oil Survive Russian Roulette? - DailyFinance
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Energy_Research_Associates

The Sad Record of Daniel Yergin and Cambridge Energy Research Associates

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#12 TEG, Oct 27, 2011
    Another related:
    Yergin: Only politics can threaten energy supplies
    So he says 10% one place, and 3% another?