Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 or 6 seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it really depends on what you need it for most. Do you have a family to haul around? What's everyones age and the typical trunk load for when you all go out or have errands?

I have the 6 seater and have been thinking of going to the 5. One thing which is really annoying is that when the third row is folded down, the gap in the middle of the second row allows for items to slide and move forward. It's sent some items flying to the front and quite annoying. Every time I've needed to haul things, even four wheels, it wasn't as easy to haul items.

Some cargo net would indeed be nice for a folded 6-seater.

I would also appreciate a software option to move the second row seats into a cargo position against the front seats. Is there any way to do this beyond going to each seat and pressing the easy entry button - and then bearing with the touchscreen nags about unlatched seats for the entire drive. Any ideas?

@rikatotokuari

I will speak directly to the lack of durability in the six seater.

Despite being a photographer who needs space to load hard shell pelican cases, I opted for the sexy six seater because I wanted to 'like' my car when I wasn't using it as a van.

The rear of the six seater is meant to be as comfortable as possible. That means the sides of the rear area are padded and soft. When the seats are folded, that becomes your cargo area.

The result is I have destroyed the back area with less than 6 months of ownership. I have stretched out the leatherette material, the cargo walls have pushed in exposing gaps in the finish, and the polished rear of the 2nd row seats are getting scratched.

I don't necessarily regret the decision because the six seater is indeed a sexy looking car that makes me smile when I look back. However, the five seater will hold up better if you know you need to load and haul stuff.

@rikatotokuari

I will speak directly to the lack of durability in the six seater.

Despite being a photographer who needs space to load hard shell pelican cases, I opted for the sexy six seater because I wanted to 'like' my car when I wasn't using it as a van.

The rear of the six seater is meant to be as comfortable as possible. That means the sides of the rear area are padded and soft. When the seats are folded, that becomes your cargo area.

The result is I have destroyed the back area with less than 6 months of ownership. I have stretched out the leatherette material, the cargo walls have pushed in exposing gaps in the finish, and the polished rear of the 2nd row seats are getting scratched.

I don't necessarily regret the decision because the six seater is indeed a sexy looking car that makes me smile when I look back. However, the five seater will hold up better if you know you need to load and haul stuff.

Great reporting of your experiences, @Chrisizzle. Big thanks for sharing.

As a fellow Model X six seater owner, I have already taken some precautions against that when having to fold the third-row, so I can see those concerns. Mostly so far I have made sure I have a cargo mat, second row seats are as forward as possible, and that nothing moves beyond that cargo mat from the trunk...

Some notes:

- Since late last year (around Q4/2017 onwards), third row sides are no longer padded with leather/leatherette, but plastic
- New five and 6/7-seaters ship with matte backs in seats (around Q2/2017 onwards), so those may or may not be more durable
- Five-seater is susceptible leather marking due to seat belt buckles, unless carefully placed when folding down the seats

That said, of course the five-seater adds many more scenarios where no seat folding is necessary and thus the cargo stays in the well lined trunk... So all these are very valid notes by @Chrisizzle... Trunk side walls, third row area included, are the same on new 5/6/7-seaters though.

Reactions: boaterva
I bought the 6 six seat version today. I have a brand new beautiful truck to haul big stuff and the 7 seat version seemed to cramped in the third row. I love the 2nd row seats being able to recline. I wanted to wait for a new update but I could not wait.
The 2nd row can't recline. It tilts, but the angle between the back and bottom doesn't change, whereas you can recline in the 5 seater

Hope more flexibility wiz the 6 seat's 2nd row, either on forward/backward or ability to recline. Guess Tesla just opt for easier production, but not making these expensive seats to be more versatile.