Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% range loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have new 2022 MYLR in California that is less than 1 year old. We usually charge at home from 20 to 80%. We charged to 100% before long trip and only got 313 miles which is a 5% range loss from 330. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to restore the range?

I have new 2022 MYLR in California that is less than 1 year old. We usually charge at home from 20 to 80%. We charged to 100% before long trip and only got 313 miles which is a 5% range loss from 330. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to restore the range?
NorCal owner of a 2021 MYLR. We are at 15 months and same 313 miles at 100%. We charge between 20-70% on the daily.

I wouldn't worry about the 5% "degradation". As alluded to, there are tons of threads on range drop, it fluctuates and is normal.

Is this normal?
Yes
Is there anything I can do to restore the range?
The high level answer to this question is "no".

(5% is pretty good actually).

The very fact that you said "I charge from 20% to 80%" tells me that you have likely been down the "battery rabbit hole" threads here or elsewhere already.

Last edited:
I see you got some perfect answers already. Just me glad it is only a 5% range loss in the car and not a 5% memory loss in your brain. :)
Welcome

There should be a sticky on this topic.

Fwiw, I've lost 6.5% in 18mos and it's a downer. The 3 people I know with Model Ss have only lost 3% and a couple of them have 2015s. I was expecting that level of degradation when I bought the car. Sadly I'm doing far worse. But battery warranty is good for a long time so I'm going to ride it out for a bit.

Fwiw, I've lost 6.5% in 18mos and it's a downer. The 3 people I know with Model Ss have only lost 3% and a couple of them have 2015s. I was expecting that level of degradation when I bought the car. Sadly I'm doing far worse. But battery warranty is good for a long time so I'm going to ride it out for a bit.
Shared experiences: 5-7% loss within the first 10-25k miles, and then minimal loss, from what I've read on this forum. No need for "...it's a downer..."

Our 2019 Model S was at 6% when we sold it at 20 months. It fluctuated as high as 8.5% but then improved after a few software updates. Not sure if it really improved or the software simply added back a fee percent, lol. Ultimately, I wouldn't sweat 1-2% difference in the first or second year. Doesn't have a real impact unless someone relies on the full range daily.

Reactions: Pianewman
I have an 2022 MY P with which initially had a range of 303.

I, rarely if ever charge to me capacity.
Charged yesterday for a long trip and my max charge (100%) is 285 after just 12,518 miles.

Is this range loss after 12000 miles within normal range? Or should I be contacting the Tesla Service Center?

I have an 2022 MY P with which initially had a range of 303.

I, rarely if ever charge to me capacity.
Charged yesterday for a long trip and my max charge (100%) is 285 after just 12,518 miles.

Is this range loss after 12000 miles within normal range? Or should I be contacting the Tesla Service Center?

Yes, its normal. Pretty good actually, since its about 6%.