Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% rated range increase for Mid range + 2029.36.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I remember Elon said all Model 3 will receive 5% increase in power and range.

No, you don't remember that, because he didn't say that.

Actual relevant bit of the investor call below: (bold added to point out the 5% was strictly about power, and single pedal driving was mentioned as improving range by a non-specific amount.)

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Drew Baglino -- Chief Technology Officer

Yeah, we just continue to learn how to optimize the motor control in our products. And yeah, so 5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for S and X.

Yeah, and there's also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

Very excited about that. It's an improvement in comfort and feel.

Yeah, it's easier to drive. And it improves the range.

also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

I guess as long as we're reading tea leaves...: ;)

It's a question of what that "as well" was referring to, or what exactly that meant. Was he using that as follows:

Did he mean "as well" in regards to there being two different changes?

"we have motor control improvements, which give 5% power increase, and we have single pedal driving as well, which will improve the range" Meaning, they have two different changes - power improvement & single pedal driving. One increases power, the other range.

Or, did he mean "as well" in regards to range:

"the single pedal driving will improve the range, as will the (aforementioned) motor control optimizations" Meaning - there is more than one thing that improves the range....

If there have been changes to the way regen is done, sure, I could see that improving the EPA test results (not much help for highway driving range though!). But I think we all agree that low speed changes associated with the single-pedal driving (in the sense of the 5-0mph behavior) is not going to improve the range substantially.

Personally, I think either interpretation is still possible. The range on the 2020 models IS 3-4% higher than it was, and it's not clear exactly why that is - it could be subtle changes to regen, or it could be motor control improvements, could be hardware changes, tire version changes, etc...

To me, it seems like there are three/four potential things going on:

1) Power increases, with concurrent increase in battery power draw (implying no efficiency improvements) => Seems confirmed on P3D from a Reddit post (I think), though the associated times are suspect.

2) Single Pedal Driving, mostly changing 5-0mph behavior => Confirmed. Would not explain EPA improvements.

3) Regen changes lumped into Single Pedal Driving => No idea whether there is anything here. I've heard about stuff on Reddit. Can't keep up. This could explain some EPA improvements. Does it explain all of those rating changes, though?

4) Motor Control Optimizations for better efficiency - If 1) is confirmed (power increase with battery power increase), then it doesn't seem like this has been done yet (and maybe it never will exist for older models). But maybe it will come in the future?

I would say the transcript is ambiguous. I agree that he did not explicitly say that Model 3 will get an increase in power and range, though, which I think was your point. And for sure, even if a range increase was meant to be implied, certainly a 5% increase was not implied. And the MR is a red-headed stepchild (with no 2020 efficiency improvements I think), so no idea what to expect for that specific Model 3. Probably nothing!

Last edited:
No, you don't remember that, because he didn't say that.

Actual relevant bit of the investor call below: (bold added to point out the 5% was strictly about power, and single pedal driving was mentioned as improving range by a non-specific amount.)

I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Yeah, we just continue to learn how to optimize the motor control in our products. And yeah, so 5% improvement for all Model 3 customers and 3% for S and X.

Yeah, and there's also the single pedal driving that will improve the range as well.

Very excited about that. It's an improvement in comfort and feel.

Yeah, it's easier to drive. And it improves the range.
Thanks for your answer. Yea, I read electrk's post again and did not see any talk about 5% range increases. The 2020 AWD and SR+ will get extra miles. So still wondering any range increase with latest firmware update for SR+ and AWD owners?